Skip to content

Help me choose-> dualclass cleric/mage what kit

Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
Hi, a little bit about my style of game play. I play solo to 1-1.5 million XP and get 5 npc then. considering only two possibilities of development of my character:

cleric lvl 10 then to mage dual -> rush getting bouth classes attributes(0,9 mln XP) and max lvl mage 30 max cleric spell 5 lvl

or

cleric lvl 13 then to mage dual -> getting bouth classes attributes(2,6 mln XP) a bitt to late and max lvl mage 28 max cleric spell 6 lvl

and the main problem i don't now wich kit to choose:/ was thinking of helm that is why he got all cleric spells (for good/bad) and free true sight, but other kits are also temting. i prefer to busting myself with spell and fight or fight from shadow with long range spell.

I whould like to hear your opinion and sugestions;)

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Wh-

Whbhj?

Why would you-?

Cleric Level 13: 6/6/6/4/2/2
    Cleric Level 14: 6/6/6/5/3/2/1

Why would you stop one level before level 7 spells? You still get Mage level 28.

And Helm.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    Pantalion said:

Wh-

Whbhj?

Why would you-?

Cleric Level 13: 6/6/6/4/2/2
    Cleric Level 14: 6/6/6/5/3/2/1

Why would you stop one level before level 7 spells? You still get Mage level 28.

And Helm.

13 lvl-> 1125000 + 28 lvl -> 6750000 = 7825000
    14 lvl -> 1350000 + 28 lvl = 8100000 only 27 lvl mage aviable and bouth classes abbilitrs get on 3,23 mln. also 1 or with wisdom 2 7lvl cleric spell i don't think is it worthy. i will get substitute for shield of archons. only 2 good spell left 1 fire storm(on that lvl rather weak) and earthquacke it can be good. i don't see us of other spells from this lvl
    Quite right, I misread the table.

As such, instead you might consider going Cleric o' Helm 16 -> Mage 27, because a level 6 and level 7 cleric spell, +3 Cleric Caster Levels (not a minor thing) a "4" save against death, some HP and a half decent THAC0 is worth 1 level 8 mage spell, which is the only thing you pick up from 27 - 28 Mage (and with 1000 exp per scroll level, you shouldn't have that much trouble making up at least the vast bulk of your exp in SoA to get the dual active, not that a single classed mage with Cleric HP is a weak thing at the best of times).

And if you're not interested in playing a weird cludgey monstrosity for late game power, why are you dual classing in the first place? May as well just multi up a gnome and enjoy an Illusionist/Cleric, there aren't many things even worth the >20 Dispel power that you can't just whack with the Staff of the Magi or a wand of spell striking.

But anyway, now I've had a chance to check kits:

Helm: Seeking Sword disables your spellcasting whilst active (it may work during Polymorph Self -> Sword Spider however, which could be seriously potent). True Sight saves you a spell slot, and whilst you have those in abundance, that's a pretty useful thing.

Lathander: Boon doesn't disable spellcasting, and gives some nice perks if you plan on wading into melee. Hold undead is.... Adequate, though more situational than True Sight.

Talos: You gain 1-3 Lightning Bolts and 2 Storm Shields. Storm Shields are actually pretty great overall. Your turning will be different, and you'll miss out on Holy Smite, but apart from that, pretty much the same.

If you like an AOE blind magic damage spell, I'd say Lathander if you're planning on regularly being on the front lines (or slinging from the back lines), Helm if you plan to abuse Poly-Self (and are optimistic that it works). If you think Mage has enough AOEs then Talos gets you some nice immunties from Storm Shield.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    edited December 2013
    i never play cleric/mage and i like dualclassing;)-> combo of diffrent kits
    also when i play Aerie i don't like her slow lvl increase so i thought dual classing on low lvl can give me much fun and really powerfull mage.
    I prefer to play SoA than ToB it was the second reason

but as you say 16 lvl is very tempting i must think about it i play with SCS2 so more power is good thing and when i play wizardslayer before i go for imoen i get almost 4 mln XP with mods so it could be a good idea.

i played shadowdancer/cleric in first line so maybe it's time to play in the second line with shield and sling this time.

i never use poly-self i don't like it maybe i should tray? helm sword is rather useless while true sight in SCS when every thief has about 4 potion of invisiblity is very usfull. i also thin about lathander skill 1 to atack per round coud be usfull also i like fairy dragon as my familiar his invisibility skill is very good. i think i wil not play with talos his res can easy get from other sorces and will work longer
    Polymorph Self is extraordinary, especially for a non-Fighter class'd mage.

Polymorph Self + Lesser Sequencer (Draw Upon Holy Might + Spiritual Weapon/Ghoul's Touch).

Transform into a Sword Spider, 5 Attacks Per Round.
    Use Sequencer.

DUHM is +1 per 3 levels. At level 15, that's +5 Strength/Dex/Con. Your Spider Form now has a no-nonsense Strength of 21.

Ghoul's Touch lasts half a minute or so, all your attacks during that time have a paralyse chance. Spiritual Weapon instead just gives a +2 Warhammer instead of normal spider claws.

Currently when either one wears off, you'll be left holding your regular weapons. Depending on your stance towards bizarre game behaviour, that works out to a Sling-wielding spider attacking 5 times a round before haste.

#2: Polymorph Self: Mustard Jelly.

You are now 100% immune to magic, 100% immune to missile weapons, and pretty highly resistant to most other things. If you can still use Seeking Sword, you're also attacking three times per round with a +4 weapon.

Between just these two forms you're one of the best melee attackers in the party (in BG2 the spider's attacks actually poison again, which is also great against spellcasters in case you feel like not being utterly immune to magic). Yes there are downsides, but it's easily one of the most versatile spells in the game, you can even kill trolls with Flind form since it's magic +3 Halberd (good for golems) deals 1 point of fire damage.