Skip to content

Yet another party composition and CHARNAME thread!

So I want to do a complete play through from BG1EE to BG2EE and I've somewhat settled on my endgame party for BG2 to be the following:

Korgan, Keldorn, Mazzy, Jan, and Neera. A ragtag and multifaceted bunch alignment wise that I've heard has a great deal of good banter without wanting to murder one another. Its got so much covered im still not sure who my main character should be. I've got Korgan and Keldorn on the front lines. I'll run Mazzy as an archer, Neera as potential romantic interest and chaotic artillery and Jan is the utility Swiss army knife. I suppose I need divine casting (or do I?) but what other niche is there for my character to fill? Druid, Cleric, Fighter/Cleric, Cleric/Thief? Something else entirely such as a Bard? Cleric/Ranger could be interesting but do I need another frontliner?

This brings me secondarily to BG1. I'd love to have a mingling of alignments that compliment each other there too. Obviously I want to have Neera there and Jan to have that parry continuity so other ideas that pull from the other alignments that won't be at each other throats?

Thanks for any and all input you can offer!

Comments

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Well, Jan isn't in BG1, so you'd need a replacement for him. There is no thief/mage, but you could dual Safana (she'll get along with everyone) to have a neutral NPC that fits the role.

I'd take some kind of divine caster as charname; Keldorn isn't a replacement for a cleric.
  • UrbanHoundUrbanHound Member Posts: 7
    Dang, I forgot about that. I'll use another Thief for BG1 then, there's no need for 100% parity but still seeking advice on the other points although it seems some form of divine caster is favored...
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited December 2013
    One thing you could consider is using EE keeper to change Mazzy to a fighter/cleric (or even single class cleric) and change her shortbow pips into sling. Slings got a hearty buff in EE, and halflings get additional bonuses with them.

If Mazzy had 5 pips in sling, a good STR belt (which applies to slings now), and the Sling of Everard she would be a fantastic ranged damage character, with the additional bonus of being able to hit +4 and +5 monsters, unlike shortbow. AND can use a shield.

If you find 5 pips in sling to cheesy for a fighter/cleric, 2 would still be effective, especially with halflings.

Fighter cleric would work for Mazzy from a character perspective as well. I've planned on doing this on a playthrough but haven't got around to it yet.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Mazzy with gesen is also good...
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Well, I really like cleric/thief, so I'm going to suggest cleric/thief. Cleric/mage would be good too. Cleric/ranger is silly. But if you must...
    edited December 2013

Mazzy with gesen is also good...

Indeed, but the idea is that Mazzy could cover cleric as well as the exceptional ranged ability that is her forte.

I haven't assembled Gesen in EE but I remember hating its projectile speed in vanilla.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    If that's your party of choice then some kind of divine caster sounds necessary. While some of the cleric kits are interesting fighter/cleric multi or duals work very well.

Human berserker->cleric, dualled at level 9 offers a lot of melee punch and grandmastery, divine casting and minimal downtime. As an alternative, a Dwarven F/C multi has no downtime and awesome saves. Either would fit in well and give you a further great frontliner and a healer.
  • UrbanHoundUrbanHound Member Posts: 7
    Thanks everyone for all the great input. Lots of things to consider. Any ideas on some fun combinations for my party and alignments in BG1? It seems like Neera will be my only mainstay but with a Divine caster as my Charname and leaning towards a multi (EEKeepered or no) class combination what are some fun options? I know Coran and Safana have some banter. There may even be room for Rasaad even though he's unlikely to be used in BG2 where he would likely shine the most but its be a chance to see at least part of his content. I'd like some more evil blood in there to really have that ragtag mix but need to be mindful that it won't all end in a bloodbath... That's kind of why I like being able to fit Korgan in my BG2 parry for for that sort of alignment diversity.
    edited December 2013
    Unfortunately you'll be a bit stuck for banter throughout BG1 - it's as rare as hen's teeth. Ever Coran & Safana's much lauded banter is only a few lines here and there. BG2 improved on this hugely.

Most intra-party dialogue in BG1 is from hostile, opposed characters. Unfortunately most of these end up fighting to the death.
    @Urbanhound

Skie and Eldoth have some banter I think. I know they are a pairing.
    There is a Skie-Eldoth-Garrick love triangle, but even so I only had a couple of banters when I ran through with them earlier this year. It doesn't compensate for having Skie, Eldoth and Garrick in your party.
    Edwin and Alora have non-hostile extra banter and are opposite alignments. Edwin and Neera are difficult to justify roleplay-wise, but won't fight in BG1. In BG2, you'd take Korgan as evil NPC anyway, so it doesn't matter that Edwin and Neera won't stay in a party then.
    For Alora, either EEkeep her stats when you get her or relocate her to Gullykin via mod to pick her up early.

Eldoth and Skie alone don't seem to have extra banter. I've often had them together, but nothing came from it. Pretty sure they need Garrick to trigger the extra lines, and that's really not worth it.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Kagain is a good replacement for Korgan in BG1, Ajantis for Keldorn, Imoen for Jan (dualed at 6?), and Khalid can be made into a fine archer with melee back up that would play similar to Mazzy (without the faux-pally perks) -

For PC a druid kit might be interesting - Avenger maybe for PC or the cleric/thief someone else mentioned would be perfect tactical wise as he/she could cover for Imoen when she duals over to mage - other than the annoyance of the hidden thief button cleric/thief is an awesome class with either the gnome or Half-orc altho no romance with Neera AFAIK with either race.
    edited December 2013
    The problem with Ajantis is that he might attack any evil NPC, including Kagain, as little sense as that makes.

I suggest as a solution: EEkeeper Rasaad to Paladin or fighter/cleric. From the personality it sort of, somehow fits, you get to play his quest and some more banters, have no issue with party fights and still a full team of mixed alignments. F/C similar to Anomen, just on lower levels obviously, with the stats a bit shifted to work, should work fine and theoretically, you can give him quarterstaff prof and keep the monk sprite - voila, martial arts monk as it should be.

I'd even say take Rasaad-as-is as Keldorn stand in for BG1 if it wasn't for him being basically dead weight, especially compared to a paladin. In BG2, it would be less an issue, but there, you won't need a Keldorn replacement, so yeah.
  • SerpionSerpion Member Posts: 67
    edited December 2013
    Berserker 9-12 -> Druid is good option IMHO.

Druid gains levels very fast prior 13 level. Or Druid/Fighter if you want fighter HLA.

OR
    Plain fighter with good STR and DEX + Grandmastery in slings -> Druid. No additional frontliner but great damage dealer anyway
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

The problem with Ajantis is that he might attack any evil NPC, including Kagain, as little sense as that makes.

Yeah I was wondering about that - I rarely used Ajantis so don't have much experience with him vs other NPCs - did EE change any of those NPC vs NPC reactions from vanilla?

• simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    cleric/thief never made sense to me.. how does that work rp-wise?
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Follower of Mask, or any of the many other thief appropriate gods. It's a allowed multiclass for Mask's clerics, I know. I think Cyric might allow them as well (although the Bhaalspawn worshiping Cyric probably has some issues come TOB time). I know the dwarven thief god does.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    simples said:

cleric/thief never made sense to me.. how does that work rp-wise?

I love this combo for RP reasons! I made a post earlier about Cleric of Lathander/Thief, let me see if I can find it.

My newest favorite is Cleric of Lathander > Thief. A cleric who wants to do more than spend all his time in a temple. The light of Lathander is already present there, and what use is another acolyte? He serves his deity by bringing the light of Lathander to the dark places of the world - ancient tombs of undead, the hideouts of foul liches, long forgotten ruins of dark magic. He's not a warrior, though, that's a paladin's job. He's an explorer, a pathfinder who finds his way into and out of danger without fighting through everything in between.

Mechanically, this is an awesome class. You can use all the weapons that a cleric normally can't. Offhand Scarlet Ninja-to and stack two Boons of Lathander and you have 5 attacks per round, the same as a warrior. Cleric buffs push you to 25 strength with maximum damage. You can cast mage spells from scrolls. Time trap and Harm. Amazing backstabs. Smack them with Carsomyr. Wear the Robe of Vecna for quick-casting cleric spells.

I see the "thief" part not so much as "someone who steals stuff" (although that could work too for some clerics) but more as "scout", "explorer", "archaeologist" (Indiana Jones style), "detective", "hunter" or "spy". Maybe he infiltrates cults like the Unseeing Eye, or he's an undead hunter looking for clues about a vampire lair rumored to be in the area, or he's an archaeologist trying to recover artifacts of his long-dead god. For good clerics, stealth also lets you take a less bloody route through some quests. Some of the mooks are just doing their jobs and slaughtering them with a good character doesn't sit well with me, so I can spare their lives and just take out the leader who's behind everything with a righteous backstab.
    edited January 2014
    I have a shadow dancer thief and it makes perfect sense for a god like mask, or any shadowy god

Edit whoops shadow dancer cleric I mean
    Post edited by ReadingRambo on
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    edited January 2014
    Cleric/Thief... Well, Thief is not really the best of words for the class, most things (including later D&D editions) use the word Rogue... Rogue kind of covers a wider range of things than Thief does...

But there a few gods I could see making sense for one such to worship... Mask, the god of thieves is pretty obvious... But what about Tymora the goddess of luck? Or possibly Waukeen? Watching from the shadows as a Priest of Helm?
    Post edited by Kaltzor on
    Mask (God of thieves), Bhaal (former god of murder/assassins), Kelmovor (God of Death), Cyric (God of Lies), Shar (God of Shadows/Dark/Evil Werewolves/Eventually Shadow Weave/Shadow Magic)
    @Kaltzor also brings up a good point, basically the divine agent prestige class, when it comes to cleric thieves as well. Monks and to a lesser extent thieves/rogues are capable of doing/going places that your regular paladin or watcher of helm can't go.

Not to mention, a great way to guard things (hypothetical) is to have some people on hand that know how to break into places that you might be guarding to give you an idea on weak points.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640

Mask (God of thieves), Bhaal (former god of murder/assassins), Kelmovor (God of Death), Cyric (God of Lies), Shar (God of Shadows/Dark/Evil Werewolves/Eventually Shadow Weave/Shadow Magic)

I hate being that person, because no one likes that person, but Shar has nothing to do with evil werewolves. That's all Malar (and Set has influence over werecrocs).
    Wanderon said:

Yeah I was wondering about that - I rarely used Ajantis so don't have much experience with him vs other NPCs - did EE change any of those NPC vs NPC reactions from vanilla?

@Wanderon - Nope, the only evil NPCs Ajantis doesn't attack are Dorn and Baeloth. Ajantis refuses to stay in a party with Dorn, and Baeloth is likely an oversight, same as Baeloth doesn't have interactions with others, not even the new NPCs.
    @Twani

My bad you are correct. I forgot while Selune is good werewolves, Malar is evil werewolves not shar.!