Skip to content

SCS mages remain invisible even after attacking?

I am playing with scs and have allowed selected mages to be much smarter. Some of them that i have run into seem to remain invisible, even after attacking. They put up Imp. Invis and SI:divination as well as some spell defences, globe of inv and so on. That's fine. But then they start flinging hurtful spells at me, and i still cannot target them with breach, or dispels. Keep getting the message "spell canceled due to targeting invisible..."

If i cast imp. Invis and then attack, the enemy has no problem attacking me. What am i missing here?

Comments

• Improved Invisibility gives you 'normal' invisibility until you attack. Meaning that enemies won't see you, go hostile, etc. After you attack, you are sort of 'semi-invisible' for the remainder of the duration (or until revealed with True Sight etc), giving foes a -4 on attack rolls against you and giving you a +4 bonus to saving throws. During that 'semi-invisible' phase, you cannot be directly targeted with spells (Magic Missile, Acid Arrow), but can still be affected by AoE spells that are cast at an area rather than a creature (Abi-Dalzim's, Symbols, etc). I believe that SCS allows you to target 'semi-invisible' creatures with spell defense neutralizers, such as Ruby Ray of Reversal, Spellstrike, and the like. Keep in mind that Shadow Door and Mislead both give the caster Improved Invisibility effects. In order to get rid of the 'semi-invisible' state of an enemy, you have to dispel the illusion using True Sight, Dispel Magic, a thief Finding Traps with high Detect Illusions skill, and so on...or wait for the spell to expire, which can take a long time (up to 23 rounds for a level 20 caster).

Note that some enemies (such as liches) can innately see invisible creatures, and can attack you/directly target you with spells at all times.
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    Uh.. how exactly do you detect someone with spell immunity divination and improved invisibility? Sounds overpowered!
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    The thief skill Detect Illusions bypasses all spell immunities, and Dispel Magic or Remove Magic will still get rid of it if successful.
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    I feel like I may have made a mistake with installing all the SCS components. I don't usually take Keldorn, but with the inquisitor dispel being nerfed, these mages are gonna cause problems in the early game. There's no way for me to have a thief with high detect illusions near the start of SoA, and dispel has a low chance of working.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Drayen said:

Uh.. how exactly do you detect someone with spell immunity divination and improved invisibility? Sounds overpowered!

Uh, that's exactly the tactic some players like to use - turnaround is fair play! :)

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    edited December 2013
    Glitter dust is not divination, just FYI. Also you can blast the area with skull trap or even just a web or cast true seeing and just wait for spell immunity to fall. You only have to soak up one spell every round for a few rounds.

You can get an item that casts true seeing now too.

Also you can pop a secret word in the general area or greater malison and emotion etc.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    One of the SCS components gives spell removal spells (e.g. Ruby Ray) a small area of effect. This allows you to target the area of ground near the mage and take down Spell Immunity.
    vangoat said:

I feel like I may have made a mistake with installing all the SCS components. I don't usually take Keldorn, but with the inquisitor dispel being nerfed, these mages are gonna cause problems in the early game. There's no way for me to have a thief with high detect illusions near the start of SoA, and dispel has a low chance of working.

I never install this component of SCS2. Since enemy mages also use SI: Abjuration this ability already receives an indirect nerf.
  • murmandamusmurmandamus Member Posts: 45
    More annoying is fact that enemy mages have infinite spell slots and contingencys. I uninstalled pre battle casting from then after ecountered cambion who repedetly casted on himself mantle and other prot spell and when i retreated to time wear them he just casted them again. (i didn't rest).
  • murmandamusmurmandamus Member Posts: 45
    More annoying is fact that enemy mages have infinite spell slots and contingencys. I uninstalled pre battle casting from then after ecountered cambion who repedetly casted on himself mantle and other prot spell and when i retreated to time wear them he just casted them again. (i didn't rest).
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    edited December 2013

Actually this isn't true, I play with SCS and you can even run the liches out of spells but you have to remember that they're like level 35 when your level 10 so it seems like their spells are unlimited. If you want to run them out of spells you have to use a lot if summons or a lot of resurrections but I took down the daystar lich at level 9 by just suiciding viconia with her high MR about 20 times over an hour while I was doing something. Else :) the lich was down to magic missles and prot from evil when I sent in the fighters.

Rod of resurrection is your friend.

The prebuffed component I use the option that they prebuff if they jump me but not if I jump them so some fights I can still take out a Mage with a backstab/traps but others I have 3 mages each with 5-10 secret word/pierce magic/warding whip/ruby ray memorized and a wand of spell strike for the really hard fights.

Also go steal the arrows of dispelling from waukeens promenade and give them to an archer for irenicus etc.

I have had SCS liches cast wish on me though so I'm not sure if they ever wish rest.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    They can't wish rest because they don't have all the wish options a player does... but they don't have any bad options wither. I think they can refresh their spells anyways under certain conditions, or is it dragons that do that?
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    edited December 2013

you can also get cernd in later game if instal druid pack from scs cernd can transform int greater wearwolf 2 times at once that mean 80% res magic. and 100% other elemental get only 10 traco but res are asome also have double regen of wearwolf. and the mage can throw at you wateever he wants;P
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Just fyi: Jan Jansen has near 100 percent detect illusion skill as soon as you meet him in early SoA.