Skip to content

This thought has often crossed my mind, any modders may know.. RE: Hardcoded backstabbing weapons.

Is backstabbing with thief weapons only hardcoded into the game?

For example, I would love to be able to backstab with maybe a Mace/flail or even a Warhammer, with a fighter/thief build but sadly it's not possible.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Comments

• WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    Backstabbing is/was hardcoded to only be possible with weapons usable by single-class thieves without UAI. Off-hand, I can't remember if EE softcodes it. You can try setting bit 25 at 0x26 (the "Flags" field) in the item's extended header. If it is softcoded, the item will become available for backstabbing (provided it previously was not).

COPY_EXISTING some.itm override
    GET_OFFSET_ARRAY ability_array ITM_V10_HEADERS
    PHP_EACH ability_array AS i => offset BEGIN
    PATCH_IF BYTE_AT offset = 1 BEGIN // Only modify melee abilities
    WRITE_LONG offset + 0x26 THIS BOR BIT25
    END
    END
    BUT_ONLY
    This bit is labelled in NI, as "Ex: toggle backstab".
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    In BG2:EE the Staff of the Magi no longer backstabs..................... Poor my Swashie/mage ;(
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I should point out something: Backstabbing is only possible with weapons equitable by single-class thieves. This means that if you edit any weapon to be usable by single-class thieves, you can backstab with it. If you make Carsomyr, or The Ravager, or the Staff of the Magi equitable by thieves using NI or DLTCEP then you will be able to backstab with them.
  • XukuthXukuth Member Posts: 78
    CrevsDaak said:

In BG2:EE the Staff of the Magi no longer backstabs..................... Poor my Swashie/mage ;(

I don't know why you'd want to backstab (particularly on a Swashbuckler!) with the Staff of the Magi anyway, since its damage is abysmal.

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    It's more that you can abuse it for unlimited invisibility.
  • XukuthXukuth Member Posts: 78
    If you're a Mage/Thief multi who has access to the Staff of the Magi before you have access to Mislead then something weird is going on.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2013
    @Xukuth power gaming to the limit. And I meant Assassin, I have to try that combo to play, but I created a lvl21->lvl22 Assassin/mage and it seems pretty OP, and my Swashie/mage don't even has points in quarterstff, Long Swords FTW!

Also SotM is SoA and SotR is from ToB/Watcher's Keep.
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254

I should point out something: Backstabbing is only possible with weapons equitable by single-class thieves. This means that if you edit any weapon to be usable by single-class thieves, you can backstab with it. If you make Carsomyr, or The Ravager, or the Staff of the Magi equitable by thieves using NI or DLTCEP then you will be able to backstab with them.

How do I do this?
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    I am wondering if there is any update on this, specifically
    Given there have been many new updates of Near Infinity lately.

Would be appreciated to hear from a modders perspective.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Is there any reason why you couldn't open up all weapons with backstabbing and then restrict the ones that thieves shouldn't be able to use without UAI using Opcode 319?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.