Skip to content

Save synchronisation

Has anyone made any thoughts about this?
I assume that there will be a seperate save folder connected to the app - does anyone have a good way to set up a sync between app files and the windows version of the game? (I plan to play both roughly the same amount of time). Of course the best thing was if you could set it to be automatic, in a dropbox kind of way, is that possible? Google drive perhaps? (Im no expert on these apps, hence my question).

At any rate I guess we are going to have an easier time than ipad users with direct control over the file system.

Comments

• FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    Heh, although we have "direct control" over the file system, I don't actually get very much control over the file system because of the way most Android manufacturers are choosing to deliver on that - MTP or Media Transfer Protocol. It's got so many bugs and often fails to transfer files either direction. Most of the major Android manufacturers have removed the option to have the tablet look like a USB mass storage device etc.

I have ended up resorting to ADB pull/push commandline to get stuff on and off my new tablet lately.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    edited January 2014
    Okay, you are obviously more knowledgable about this than me. It hasnt been difficult for me to access my files on my Asus tablet and galaxy 4 phone
    Post edited by Aristillius on
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited December 2013
    Yeah it's hit and miss, depends on your Android version and what modifications your manufacturer has made to it.

But in regards to BG:EE savegames and iOS, iFunbox solves that issue neatly, so I'd say they're on par pretty much.
    Seems there is an appropriate app for the job:
    http://www.guidingtech.com/11906/automatically-sync-any-folder-computer-android/

This looks promising! Especially how you can choose individual folders, so in theory we can select the save folder for BGEE for android, and the save folder in my documents in windows for automatic synchronisation! :D
  • Dice42Dice42 Member Posts: 55
    I thought this was the point of the cloud save feature promised.

I've not looked into this, but didnt they say thats what they want to do?
    @Dice42
    Indeed there seems to be plans for a cloud save feature. But we do not know when this will be implemented, so until it is, I am looking for substitutes.
  • etotheoetotheo Member Posts: 61
    Dropsync is an app available in the PlayStore. I've been using it for a while now and it's been fast and reliable for me. It might work for you? As Faydark has stated, there might be issues with access to the file structure, unless you are rooted I suppose...
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    Faydark said:

Heh, although we have "direct control" over the file system, I don't actually get very much control over the file system because of the way most Android manufacturers are choosing to deliver on that - MTP or Media Transfer Protocol. It's got so many bugs and often fails to transfer files either direction. Most of the major Android manufacturers have removed the option to have the tablet look like a USB mass storage device etc.

I have ended up resorting to ADB pull/push commandline to get stuff on and off my new tablet lately.

I usually try to avoid copying files due to past frustration. When I do try to move, I resort to ADB. I don't think I have the patience to take full advantage of the power. I have also had a few failures trying to move saves of other games when changing devices. Some apps became unstable, though this should not be the case with BG and their standard game saves. Perhaps the other games had configuration related data in the files I copied.
  • AckillesAckilles Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2014
    1. Move your Baldur's Gate save folder to your cloud folder on your PC such as Dropbox.
    2. Create a symlink from the old location to the new one: http://lifehacker.com/5496652/how-to-use-symlinks-in-windows
    3. Use Folder Sync Lite to sync files to/from your Baldur's Gate save data on Dropbox to your Android save folder: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.tacit.android.foldersync.lite
    4. Pull your hair out and scream when you realize that the save data for Windows and Android is different.

Step 4 is unconfirmed but I wouldn't be surprised.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Ackilles said:

4. Pull your hair out and scream when you realize that the save data for Windows and Android is different.

Step 4 is unconfirmed but I wouldn't be surprised.

The devs already stated that every platform uses same save files.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Just as a quick update, I have been looking around the beta version of the game and found that the save game folder is located in "/data/data/com.beamdog.bgee/files/save". You can only access this folder if you device is rooted, but I am not sure if this will change for the final build. *If* nothing change, save synchronization will only be possible on rooted tablets.
    @cmk24
    Thanks for the update!