Skip to content

Hold Off (BG:EE CE) Until Post BG2

WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
EDIT: I just realized I probably should've copy pasted this into one of the many threads. We'll be up to elbows in enthusiastic, but materialistic rants in a second. Somebody merge please.

I think it was @Trinit who said that after BG2 Enhanced Edition comes out, that's when we should get a collector's edition. Instead of causing themselves much stress now, maybe they should aim for a boxed copy as a goody bag version at the end.

You guys remember all those bargain bin discount game bundles from the good old days, when old games were past their begin run? After the no doubt success of BG:EE and BG2, they could be put together along with some merchandise as a bundle, just for the fans.

This is what all those legal agreement dudes want. If they have reason to believe there's money in a physical copy, then it will happen. It's all about money. Once the digital versions sell nicely it will fall into place like a box in a square hole. The copyright holders just don't want to lose out in anything. Need to get those bureaucrats to check a leaflet.

Here's another idea though, instead of physical merchandise, assuming it's too difficult to produce it, why not just bundle the game with a bonus CD of content?

Wallpapers, artwork, pictures of the various 'cease and desist' notices from WoTC. You name it. Even that old BG Non Interactive Demo could be part of it. The soundtrack. Just a big CD of goodies.

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    well i would honestly love to get a good old fashioned manual like i used to get with games (ahhh i remember the smell when you first opened it, and how the pages were all glossy and didn't feel like real paper, always felt so magical), this isn't a big company. It's built and designed to bring the games they love and we love back to the mainstream so that people can buy them, but i think one of the goals of the company is to show that people don't want just big AAA titles with the greatest graphics.

But right now, i think that the company is like this. They have so much resources put into this game, and probably 50 - 60% of the resources to make bg2:ee. They need this game to sell well enough to make bg2:ee, and from there, if the games sell well, they have promised to make bg3, if they can. I know people want the manual and box art, maybe a cloth map, but right now, the company is on a set course and they're not sure if they'll succeed of fail. This company actually reminds me of interplay back in the day, for games/by gamers.

Thus your suggestion will work as for now, they need to play it safe and make sure the game will sell. I've already bought my preorder, but wish i could do more to support this company. But more then a box copy/box set, i would love to see BG3. If people really want this and bg 1 AND 2:EE sell well, they i would be happy if they did like a box set of both games for like $100 usd and had bonus for both games. That's my 2 cents, but as i said, what i'm praying for is BG3 more then anything else.

Although, maybe it's just me, i would love to see fallout 2:ee with all the bugs fixed and broken quests fixed.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    i mostly agree with @Bjjorick. i trust developers have a good reason not to go into boxed edition version.

i listened to interview with trent (posted on forums) and i think he mentions something along the same lines as i have said. boxed addition may still come, but i think the priority should be seeing at least bg2:ee to completion. if these enhancements will be a success and interest still exists, i'm quite sure developers will release a collector's edition.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    @Bjjorick

I agree with nearly everything that you posted. As much as I would love to see a boxed edition, it is more important that the game itself be released. And yes, I too loved the game manuals, especially the ones that came with the original Baldur's Gate series. (Shadows of Amn was gorgeous)

However, I hope that Baldur's Gate 3 is not ever created. The original Baldur's Gate series is the tale of the Bhaalspawn, and as the Throne of Bhaal expansion ended that story, Baldur's Gate 3 would not be a true addition or expansion upon the story.

It would be some spinoff; a tarnish on a masterpiece (Dark Alliance was such a tarnish), and an unnecessary one. If they wish to continue to utilize the Infinity Engine, by all means, do so! Icewind Dale utilized it well, was an excellent game, and was not part of the Baldur's Gate series. Instead of making Baldur's Gate III, just make another Infinity Engine game.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Digital is where it's at, no need for physical box. Better profit margins in digital too.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Trent Oster's Twitter:
    "The boxed copy is completely stalled in negotiations. At this time, I don't think it will happen :-("

Sooo...don't get your hopes up.
    A complete collector's Edition with BG1/2:EE and all DLC and post-release content would be nice though. Good birthday gift, even if it's only digital.
  • AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    Drugar said:

Trent Oster's Twitter:
    "The boxed copy is completely stalled in negotiations. At this time, I don't think it will happen :-("

Sooo...don't get your hopes up.
    A complete collector's Edition with BG1/2:EE and all DLC and post-release content would be nice though. Good birthday gift, even if it's only digital.

I am going to wait until after Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition is released before I decide on whether or not I shall abandon hope. I imagine the "success" of the game will help determine whether or not a collector's/boxed edition will be published.

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    Well, as far as BG3 goes, i see it as being a story set in the same world with maybe passing by the chars from the previous games/hearing stories/legends of all the good/chaos they caused. I want a game with the depth of bg, but not a continuation. the story is pretty much finished with a few things i hope will make it into the EE versions.

But a game that i can love as much as BGT, and play as much as i have BGT, i'm all for that. I'm using BG3 kinda as a placeholder though, in the sense of, a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.