Skip to content

installing mods for bgiiee

Hello everyone!

I am hoping some kind soul will take pity on this computer novice and give me detailed instructions as to how to install bgiiee mods. I managed to muddle my way through installing plain bgii mods, but I haven't a clue how to go about installing the mods for bgiiee. Remember as you respond that I need step-by-step instructions. Thanks in advance for any help you may give me.

Best Regards
Blackjack

Comments

• vardamanvardaman Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    Hi there-
    Sadly, Blackjack I do not come with answers, but with a similar question.

I did manage to mod BG2 when I owned a PC. I'm now on a MBA, 13", OS 10.8. I do hope that someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've tried to be very careful and scrupulous in the installation procedure but BG2 won't even open when I've completed the whole modding process. Here's what I have done:

- Downloaded BG2EE from the app store
    - Downloaded Assassinations, Sellswords, CoM Encounters, Wheels of Prophecy, Item Upgrade, BG2 Tweaks, Stratagems and aTweaks, all in the most recent versions with OSX compatibility, into the 'resources' folder
    - Downloaded Weidu 236, and replaced all the setup files for the above mods with renamed Weidus
    - Changed all the permissions in the app structure that needed 'write' permission (mostly in 'resources', at one point Chitin needed it), & created the right dialog.tk file
    - Used the nifty, most recent version of the 'BG Mac Mod Installer 2.1' to run through terminal to install the above mods in the order specified on the Compatible Mods Page.

After all this, I get a big NO from the launcher - BG2EE refuses to open.

What did I do wrong? I am really tremendously grateful for any guidance. I would really like not to sink a fourth day of my vacation into trying and failing to play a computer game!

Thanks so much in advance!

ETA: Since everything is marked as being compatible with OS X specifically, I upgraded to OS X/Maverick. Now I have a whole load of new errors I don't understand: "Bad CPU type in executable" & "is not game directory". I give up.
    Post edited by vardaman on
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited December 2013
    @vardaman
    Are you using a 32- or 64-bit Mac? Make sure all copies of WeiDU are of the correct type. This is much easier if you use the WeInstall method with a single copy of WeiDU. "is not a game directory" likely means some of your WeiDU executables are of the correct type (whereas some aren't) but that you are trying to install the mods in the wrong directory. You want the directory containing the file chitin.key and the mod should not be in any additional subdirectories.

Edit: if "created the right dialog.tlk file" means what I think it means, you shouldn't do that (any longer). At best it serves no purpose and at worst it will actually cause problems.
  • vardamanvardaman Member Posts: 2
    @wisp
    Thanks so much for getting back to me. I see you all over this forum, helping people out. I really appreciate it.

My processor is Core i5, so 64-bit.

Thanks for the reminder about dialog.tk - I see that is an obsolete step.
    Everything is in the chitin.key directory. The file structures of the mod itself are inevitably nested below /Resources/ (like /Resources/2da/ and /Resources/bam/) but the setup-blah and setup-blah.tp files are all in /Resources/.
    I did a clean install of BG2EE last night and tried patching with just BG2Tweaks just now, which Weidu told me Successfully Installed. Still no dice.
    I input the following string into Terminal, which I found elsewhere on the forum:
    ./WeiDU-Mac/weidu bg2_tweaks/setup-bg2_tweaks.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk

As before, the crash dialog tells me that it is thread one that crashes:

"Thread 1 Crashed:
    0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x98f0c046 __workq_kernreturn + 10
    1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x94197dcf _pthread_wqthread + 372
    2 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x9419bcce start_wqthread + 30"
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @vardaman
    vardaman said:

The file structures of the mod itself are inevitably nested below /Resources/ (like /Resources/2da/ and /Resources/bam/) but the setup-blah and setup-blah.tp files are all in /Resources/.

That doesn't look right. You should have a distinct mod folder (which would contain 2da/ etc.) and optionally a TP2 file in Resources/. In the case of BG2 Tweaks, you should have Resources/bg2_tweaks/setup-bg2_tweaks.tp2 as a valid file. For other mods, the TP2 file may not necessarily be located inside the mod folder. In that case it should be located in the same directory as the mod folder.
    vardaman said:

I did a clean install of BG2EE last night and tried patching with just BG2Tweaks just now, which Weidu told me Successfully Installed. Still no dice.

Which problem is this? The mod appears to install successfully but afterwards the game won't start? You have confirmed that the game starts with no mods installed, right?
    vardaman said:

I input the following string into Terminal, which I found elsewhere on the forum:
    ./WeiDU-Mac/weidu bg2_tweaks/setup-bg2_tweaks.tp2 --tlkout dialog.tlk

That's also obsolete, I'm afraid. The --tlkout argument is no longer recommended (at all) and will in this case cause the mod to be incorrectly installed. Delete Resources/dialog.tlk if it exists and reinstall your mod(s).

The preferred way of installing mods from the command line is with WeInstall. Place the weidu and weinstall executables on your system path and from a terminal in your Resources directory, use the command weinstall bg2_tweaks (there are CLI options, if you don't care for the interactive installation process, and WeInstall simplifies using some of them).

Other options of installing mods include the setup-mymod practice (copy the weidu executable to e.g., Resources/setup-bg2_tweaks and run it) or using subtledoctor's installation tool (I suppose; I have no experience with it, myself).
    vardaman said:

As before, the crash dialog tells me that it is thread one that crashes:
    "Thread 1 Crashed:
    0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x98f0c046 __workq_kernreturn + 10
    1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x94197dcf _pthread_wqthread + 372
    2 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x9419bcce start_wqthread + 30"

Since dylib appears to be involved (even though the error appears to be different), you might want to try the WeiDU version compiled on a pre-Mavericks version of OS X, currently available here.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

I managed to muddle my way through installing plain bgii mods, but I haven't a clue how to go about installing the mods for bgiiee.

I don't understand, installing BG2 mods is exactly the same as the ones for BG1. If you figured it out before, just do the same things you were doing then, Usually it's just a question of copying the files to the game folder, then double clicking on the installer that come with the mod. Then just select the components you want in the menu that will appear.