Skip to content

F/M/T - level too slow for a MP game?

I'm getting a multiplayer game started with some friends. The party size will be at least 4 people, but may be up to 6. I was thinking of being a F/M/T to handle a bit of everything as it is needed, but would leveling it be way too slow with a full party of real people (with no means to solo grind some exp), and would I fall behind?

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I thought I answered that already in ur other thread. Answer is yes, F/M/T is primarily for solo'ing.
  • caliduscalidus Member Posts: 10
    Sorry, didn't see the response. Figured I'd ask this specific question here, and more to the point than my long-winded post in the other forum. :P
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    It's still a good character class even in a group. A very good backstabber and a more useful warrior due to mage spell protections. When I played F/M/T in a group I often found myself just leaving the rest of the NPCs outside the room and letting the F/M/T clear it all just because it could. The issue is mostly about how you want to distribute your thief skills.
  • caliduscalidus Member Posts: 10
    Yeah, my idea is that I could be a jack of all trades. Group needs some utility? I memorize the needed spells. Needs ranged damage? Bow (as Elf), spells, etc. Need some muscle? Buff up, throw on some armor, and charge into battle with my longsword. Need some burst damage? Stealth or invis and get in a backstab.

As much as I'd LOVE to get high stealth (and even pickpocket), most of my points would have to go into detect traps and open locks, I assume.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited December 2013
    You can just use a second level mage spell on a casting of invisibility if you want to get in a backstab. But basically Like you already wrote its a good class to fill skills that your other party members aren't focussing in (like pick pockets if you have another party thief or ranged weapons if you need a ranged character).
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    If you want a jack-of-all-trades, especially if you're talking about picking pockets, I humbly suggest rolling a bard. No more worries about slow leveling, at least!
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited December 2013
    Yes, I think a F/M/T will level too slowly for a 4-6 player party. Your spells will not keep up and your THAC0 will be awful.

I'd go with a fighter/thief (who gets open locks/find traps early *or* goes for backstabbing if you have another thief), a swashbuckler or a bard. All will be able to keep up, unlike the F/M/T. They can't do everything, but they'll be very valuable.