Skip to content

Does current/future BGEE allow single-machine installation that allows every user thereon to play?

jhmzhoujhmzhou Member Posts: 2
Note: moved to Feature Requests per Bjjorick's suggestion. Please delete the original post.

I am asking the question due to many Bioware titles, or successors of those Bioware titles, requiring either administrator privilege or virtualization (in the form of %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\*, also called shims) to run on modern Windows OS with a "deprivileged" user account. The case was simpler for "legacy" game such as Baldur's Gate 1, since the Windows OS creates %LOCALAPPDATA%\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\* so that a deprivileged user does not require administrator privilege to run the game, which would otherwise mean write access to folders such as \Program Files\* . A rather nasty case is there for NWN, which cannot be played via the "shim" virtualization, and thus require administrator privilege to be run, though players could still copy the game files to any subfolder in %USERPROFILE% and modify nwmain.exe's manifest to waive the administrator privilege requirement. It is known, however, Bioware titles from Dragon Age: Origins on do not require the "shim" virtualization to run with a "deprivileged" user account, that is, the game store user data in %APPDATA% rather the game folder and do not require administrator privilege.

And I would like to present the question to Overhaul. Is your modification or improvement of the Infinity Engine supportive of running the game with an account without administrator privilege or allowing every user who chances to log onto that particular machine to run the game, without registration/activation for each of them, particularly if the copy of BGEE is installed via the Beamdog client.

I am asking this also because the machine whereon I would install BGEE is a family computer and once I have the game installed I would like every member of the family who can access the machine to have the capability of running the game without any further action of entering registration code or activating.

I will henceforth refer to the capability mentioned above "ease of deployment".

I hope Overhaul understand both the question and the context wheron the question is based, for such "ease of deployment" will reckon as a factor in my purchasing BGEE from Beamdog.

Thank you.
Post edited by jhmzhou on

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    well, i build computers alot and so i have a comp i built, my wife i bought a laptop because that's what she wants, and i have a comp that my sons use, older but they don't play fps and stuff. each of them runs windows 7 because it seems to be a very stable os. each of them are set up as an admin, so for your question, i haven't run across that issue yet, but they're setting up this game to run as though it was just designed/built this year. How do other games act that were designed on win 7? Also, i would assume that they're going for the ease of use functionality, because they don't have the EA mindset of let's torture our customers and make them pay us for it. This might be something better posted in the feature requests, as they're trying to make installing/playing the game as easy as they can, although they might not have thought of this yet.

my 2 cents, and sorry that i didn't answer your question as you would have liked, but i think it would be a great suggestion, as you won't be the only person who desires this.
  • jhmzhoujhmzhou Member Posts: 2
    @Bjjorick
    Thanks. I will re-post at feature request.