Skip to content

Your ideal weapons to dual wield?

I've always fantasized about doing a playthrough of BG2 while dual-wielding the Flail of Ages and Celestial Fury. If one weapon doesn't slow them, the other will freeze them!

What would be your ideal weapons to dual wield in either game?

Comments

• maximaxi Member Posts: 86
    with my ranger I am going with celestial fury and crom fayer, sometimes I switch to axe of unyelding or flail of the ages when I need it!
  • OlleDenStoreOlleDenStore Member Posts: 43
    Flail of Ages and Scarlet ninja-to for me :)
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    Depends on the character:
    Fighter, Ranger, F/M: Crom Faeyr and Belm.
    F/D: Spectral Brand and Belm.
    F/T: Angurvadal and Belm.
    Paladin (non-Inquisitor): Foebane and Belm.
    F/C or R/C: FoA+4 or Runehammer and Defender of Easthaven.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'm not really a fan of the blunt weapon mixed with bladed weapon look, so I'd probably go with Belm in the off-hand with Celestial Fury in the main hand. Though strictly from a damage damage output/enchantment level standpoint you can do better of course :)
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    As a general rule, the three +APR weapons are the best offhands in the game for any class that can use them. These weapons are Belm+2 (scimitar), Kundane+2 (short sword), and Scarlet Ninja-to (ninja-to; can only be offhanded by rogues via UAI). The reason they are so good is that offhand attacks are hard-capped at 1 APR (the base attack you get from having any offhand); as such the +1 APR bonus of these weapons is in fact added as a mainhand swing. Given the powerful mainhands available in the game, attacking more often with them is incredibly powerful as well, particularly when Improved Haste is involved.

For mainhands, the top is the so-called "blunt trifecta": Flail of Ages+5, Crom Faeyr, and Club of Detonation+5. The first two in particular are ridiculously powerful weapons. FoA+5 has massive elemental damage that e.g. pierces Stoneskin and bypasses physical resistances, as well as a no-save slow and passive Free Action. Very, very good indeed, but it takes a while to get (well into ToB). Of course, the earlier versions are quite good, too.
    Crom Faeyr is also quite ridiculous, mainly because of the 25 STR it gives you. Note that this is best used on a character that doesn't already have very high STR (through Tomes, race, Machine of Lum the Mad, etc.). Crom Faeyr's damage is sometimes displayed incorrectly (vanilla BG2), it is definitely quite high!
    Club of Detonation gets a lot of damage from its fire effect - the regular one, not the Fireball. That FB is also the big drawback of the weapon, though, and can sometimes ruin a perfectly pleasant day (while fighting next to innocent townsfolk for example...) but it can also be very powerful if it hits multiple enemies. Still, even without the FB the single target damage is much higher than you'd perhaps expect. Do the math, be amazed!

Outside of those three, there's several good choices. Purifier for Paladins is definitely good, as is Foebane. Angurvadal is likely the strongest sword, again because of the STR bonus (see Crom Faeyr). Daystar deals double damage against undead, which cannot be discounted - it adds up to a lot! And then there's always Celestial Fury, of course, which can do truly silly things with high APR and enemies not immune to stuns. I remember stunlocking the Chromatic Demon in WK for about 90% of the fight once... lovely! Outside of the stun, though, CF's damage is not exactly amazing :(

That should be it for the most popular choices. As always, YMMV depending on mods, setup, difficulty, etc. Also I haven't bought BG2:EE yet, there may very well be weapons that are much better there. When in doubt do the math! It's very simple mostly, just look at average damage: (maxdmg + mindmg)/2 + static_mods + (procs * proc_chance). Don't forget passive bonuses like +STR, too ;)
  • Night_WatchNight_Watch Member Posts: 514
    Ashideena and Varscona. When I was a kid this had always been my dream pair in BG1. It's nice to be able to do it now :)
  • comebackhomecomebackhome Member Posts: 254
    Warhammers. Oh I love them so. If the backstab modifier was changed to being compatible with them, it would be my wet dream.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Belm, Kundane, Defender of Easthaven, Crom Faeyr, Dakkon's Zerth Blade + Whatever else.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Notably left off @Lord_Tansheron 's list is Axe of the Unyielding. Granted not many people use axes, (and I'm grumpy that my dwarf can't use rings.......must make dwarven berserker), but it comes with an AC boost, build 3 hp/round, +1 Con and a vorpal effect when upgraded to +5.

Even if my dwarf goes good in Hell (which she will), I will gain 25 Str from Crom Faeyr (she's a wizard slayer anyway so I need the str), she will go up to 22 Con (machine of lub the mad, possibly 23 if I use deck of many things) and sit at either 19 or 20 dex.

Furthermore, axes are terrific early in BG2 as well. Within 2 quests you can buy 1 +3 Axe with fire damage, you can loot a second +3 axe that does ice/acid damage, AND if you're good you can get a throwing axe with an insta kill effect on Undead.

If you're of an evil bent Blackrazor is a nice weapon (shame its not upgradable) to mainhand with Belm; granting 1hp/5, Immune to Charm and Fear (unfortunately later than both of these would really shine), 15% chance to drain 4 levels from the enemy and heal you, haste and a chance to raise your strength. My bard will likely run this weapon and kundane for all but the most weapon immune of enemies just for RP.

Also I feel that mentioning longswords is remiss without mentioning The Answerer +4. This is another ToB longsword that causes the target to lose 15% MR and 2 AC every hit. Granted with how low Thac0 levels are in ToB and having spells like pierce magic, again these have reduced effect, but in 1 WW (assuming they all hit) you can completely remove any MR and 20 AC. I think my cavalier may have main handed this sword when I beat the game (with purifier in the offhand).
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    No, a half-orc gnome multiclass Fi/Th Swashbuckler (as in orc fighter with the gnome Swashbuckler on the back, think Hodor). Since the gnome doesn't need to walk he can strap a weapon on the leg for an additional offhand attack (DoE in this case). The whatever else is a bite attack by the orc and spitting by the gnome which works like an acid arrow.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    My dwarf barbarian uses DoE in the offhand + variable Main hand. He refuses to use those silly toothpick +apr weapons!
    @ReadingRambo

The only reason I'd consider Kundane is if I'm mainhanding a Longsword or shortsword.

The only reason I'd consider Belm is if I'm mainhanding a scimitar.

Notably left off @Lord_Tansheron 's list is Axe of the Unyielding.

Perhaps you're right, the Axe does bear mention. I tend to forget it because it's available so late (it's not very good unupgraded) and its main draw is the vorpal effect, which most relevant enemies are immune against. Still, there are several situations where you just want to plow through hordes of trash and the Axe is admittedly very handy there. Note that the gains from CON are on diminishing returns - it's mostly useless for non-fighters (assuming they are not under 15/16 CON), and even for warriors it only actually does something for those with 18/20/23 base CON.

Another weapon I should have mentioned is Defender of Easthaven, aka. the best shield in the game. Damage reduction becomes increasingly powerful the further you go in the series, because AC and enemy THAC0s progress at diverging rates. In BG1 AC is great at preventing damage, but in ToB even characters with truly godly ACs of -20 or less are getting hit routinely. Damage reduction kicks in there beautifully, and works with stuns, Time Stop, etc. besides. Not to mention how silly things get once you start stacking it... DoE is definitely and hands-down the best defensive weapon in the game, and likely a better offhand than any shield (except the Shield of Cheese against Beholders of course).
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I tried going for Flail of Ages + Crom Faeyr on a blackguard... But I ended up going with Crom Faeyr and a shield because I kept needing more AC...
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    On the off-hand I often use one of these.
    - Arbane: a short sword +2 which grants immunity to hold and haste for 2 rounds
    - Adjathla the Drinker: a long sword +2 which grants immunity to charm and domination and heals 1HP per hit

For the main-hand I generally take the one with the best enchantment or the best plain weapon
  • SporvanSporvan Member Posts: 31
    Belm is the best weapon in the game. You get it early enough for it to be relevant for a very long part of your adventure - unlike the lategame ToB godlike weapons which you use for a dungeon or two before it ends.

It takes your best weapon as you progress through the game and doubles it so it always stays relevant.

Defender of Easthaven does allow for ridiculous tankiness when you stack it. I've moved into wielding Crom Faeyr + Defender of Easthaven on Viconia even and it works better than a shield.

But yeah, most treasured weapon is definitely Belm for extreme mileage.
  • dosentti666dosentti666 Member Posts: 20
    edited December 2013
    My Blade currently wields the Flail of Ages and Celestial Fury. Which of those should I wield in my main hand in order to have maximum "efficiency"? I currently have the FoA in my main hand and CF offhand.
    edit. He has a proficiency point in both weapon categories and three points in two-weapon fighting category.
    Depends on what you want. For damage, FoA; for stuns, CF. Put either in the mainhand if you want their effect. Neither have great passive effects, so you don't get much out of the 1 offhand swing.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Anything that doesn't take advantage of speed-weapon-in-the-off-hand cheese is good for me.
  • SearonixSearonix Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2013
    The dual wield combos I'm using in my playthroughs are:
    PC: Celestial Fury+Belm in SoA, Foebane+Scarlet Ninja-To in ToB
    Mazzy: I have her dual wielding Club of Detonation+Crom Faeyr in offhand
    Korgan: Axe of Unyielding+Crom Faeyr in offhand

These are the only "stat boosting" weapons that should be used in the offhand in my opinion:
    Belm, Kundane, Scarlet Ninja-To, Crom Faeyr, Blackrazor, Angurvadal(a bit weak due to strength enhancing belts), Defender of Easthaven
  • SearonixSearonix Member Posts: 15
    edited December 2013
    Crom Faeyr also makes for an amazing main hand weapon since it does +5 more lightning damage in the enhanced edition, making it the most damaging one handed weapon in SoA. I have Mazzy and Korgan use Crom Faeyr in the main hand before they get the Club of Detonation and Axe of Unyielding.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Searonix is so right, CF makes an awesome main weapon.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited December 2013
    I love to offhand Dak'kon's Zerth blade with my bards. I have plenty of meat shields to handle the burden of chasing the APR unicorn, I can't be bothered to limit myself to weapons that should be adding attacks of their own blades, not to whatever is in my main hand. Don't get me wrong, I get why others do it, but it's not for me.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Which of those should I wield in my main hand in order to have maximum "efficiency"? I currently have the FoA in my main hand and CF offhand.

That's probably what I would do - but then, I've never actually tried dual wielding those myself, I've only fantasized about it to this point. ;-)

The FoA is probably my favorite weapon in the entire BG series. Although the CF is able to stun rather than simply slow enemies, the FoA has little or no saving throw against its effects.

But in the end, I would recommend trying both options yourself and seeing which one works best for you.
    Ok, I have a question and this seems like it would be the proper thread for it.

My wizard slayer has +++++ in axes, ++ in warhammers and + in two weapon fighting atm (almost level 13). Should I main hand Crom Faeyr when I get it until I upgrade Axe of the Unyielding, or should I stay with axes just due to grand mastery?
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741

Ok, I have a question and this seems like it would be the proper thread for it.

My wizard slayer has +++++ in axes, ++ in warhammers and + in two weapon fighting atm (almost level 13). Should I main hand Crom Faeyr when I get it until I upgrade Axe of the Unyielding, or should I stay with axes just due to grand mastery?

I guess it's worth doing the math, one extra attack with the axe your using vs if you main hand crom... You'll get the str bonus either way so I think the axe wins out because the bonus will be greater than what the higher per hit damage can make up with the extra axe hit.
    @Kryptix

Disclaimers: Estimation for my character will be 18 by the time I get Crom Faeyr, so pips will likely be changed to axes +++++, warhammer +++, two weapon fighting ++

That means a difference of +2 damage, -3 speed (doesn't mean anything as Crom has speed 1), and 1/2 attack. So lets roll!

Axes I might have about that time:

Frostreaver +3: 1d8+3, +1 acid damage, +1 cold damage (total damage before str/proficiency: 5-13)
    Stonefire +3: 1d8+3, +2 fire damage (total damage before str/proficiency: 5-13)
    Axe of the Unyielding +3: 1d8+3, 1 AC, 1HP/Round (total damage before str/proficiency: 5-11)

and our Warhammer in question:

Crom Faeyr: 2d4+3 and +5 electrical damage (total damage before str/proficiency: 10-16)

Therefore the difference in Mastery to Grand Mastery is made up from the additional electrical damage, and while it doesn't matter as much that late in the game, you gain 2 extra thac0 with Crom compared to any of those axes.

In the end it would come down to 2 things:

1. Seeing as how I'm only level 12, I can still plan my proficiencies. By only keeping the 1 point I have in TWF atm, I can reach grand mastery by level 21 (Feasable by the end of SoA on a fighter), where the thac0 loss is made up by the additional thac0 gained by Crom Faeyr.

2. Honestly, I think I may have just answered my question, but it is delaying Grand Mastery in Warhammers until 24. I think in this scenario, even the few levels without Crom Faeyr are made up by the fact that I already have stupidly low thac0 (I want to say my thac0 atm is already 1/3).

Please note: even with the math (and figuring out that Crom Faeyr is actually slightly ahead sans the 1/2 attack), I think Crom is the better main-hand weapon UNTIL you get AotU +5. The reason for this is simply because the other axe options are inferior to main handing CF while offhanding an AotU +3.

YAY FOR MATHS!
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Be careful with Crom, there are a few quest related creatures that crom instantly kills that otherwise talk when beat up. Actually maybe just the one (the troll in the limited wish quest).