Skip to content

Wild mage anecdotes

So the first thing I bought after leaving Irenicus' dungeon was the Limited Wish scroll from the lady at Ribald's. As long as you're willing to take your chances, you can cast it through a Dweomer and get the ID goggles, some +2 full plate, and a new quest while only having to cast a bunch of level one spells and one chaos shield.

For the life of me I can't find this on the wild surge table, but I got a surge message reading "multiple spell effects" or some such and ended up in Ribald's with six Dao all offering my party (limited) wishes. Unfortunately they'll speak to whomever's closest to them, and for two of those Dao that was Minsc, so we had to throw those wishes away, lest we summon six vampires or an adamantine golem into the Adventurer's Mart, but with the remaining four I got all my new gear and my quest with a few gems thrown in.

Which was cool, but it was worth it just to see the six Dao swirling into the upstairs of the shop.

Yes, yes, a pit fiend wrecked your level 2 party, but if you've anything more unusual than that to share, share it here, whether it's your mainchar or Neera.
enqenq

Comments

• victory_rosevictory_rose Member Posts: 72
    I had heard about the cow thing, but kind of thought it was just a joke until it actually happened. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. :)
    jackjack
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    I've got a BG EE one with Neera. This dates back from before the patch that fixed the "Kill Aecletec with Cloudkill" bug was released. Back then, my strategy was to kill the mage and head back upstairs. I'd then head down, drop a Cloudkill, switch to Jelly form via Polymorph Self and allow the demon to chase me around the arena, futiley, while he and his cultists died.

In this case, it was Neera, and Cloudkill went off fine and Neera fled to the top right hand corner of the arena. I'd already cast Polymorph Self upstairs, but did not know that the change to Jelly form would in itself cause a roll against the Wild Surge table (this may in itself be a bug that may or may not have been fixed, thoughts appreciated there). The surge summoned a pit fiend! "Oh no!" I thought, "I've been undone!".

Until, that is, something special happened: the two demons began attacking each other! Neera ran away as fast as she could, out of the line of sight of the two of them. Aecletec could do nothing against the Pit Fiend, I soon realised. He also could not see Neera beating up the helpless cultists as Neera was out of his line of sight. I realised that I could bring a hasted friend or two down stairs and run to the bottom of the arena, still out of sight. I realised that when the PIt Fiend's timer ran out and he was unsummoned, my real foe would just stand aimlessly in the top corner!

Within a minute or two, I'd waxed all the cultists and brought my entire maxed-out party'to bear their wrath upon the hated daemon. He soon fell and I was victorious!

I have never been happier to summon a pit fiend than that!
    nanomeagloth
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377

I had heard about the cow thing, but kind of thought it was just a joke until it actually happened. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. :)

I have one playthrough with 2 wild mages in the party so... yeah, I've seen the cow a couple of times now. Poor Viccy. She had just gotten over her fear of the open sky and then the cow happened. I'm afraid she'll never come outside again.
    jackjackThrasymachusnano
  • beingmarkhbeingmarkh Member Posts: 42
    I've yet to experience the cow, alas.
  • AntagonistAntagonist Member Posts: 139
    Same here, I'm doing a double wild mage run, romancing with Neera (of course), got into the City Of Caverns but didn't experience anything super-specially-unique so far. I mean yeah, cows are pretty common, I've had them 4 or 5 times so far, also things like a totally lucky(or is it destiny?) double castings of high level spells are always epic.

Happened just before my journey to spellhold, I sent charname alone in the docks to Cromwell's after coming back from Windspear Hills. No stoneskin, memory almost empty because I was too lazy to go to the inn and I ran into a party of lawmen Sir's. I've had horrible relations with the Amnian law so far so I guess I had it coming, but luckily for me, I have this habit of casting Improved Chaos Shield upon entering an area. So quick decision, Reckless Horrid Wilting and boom! Cast Twice, all the Sir's just dropped dead in a second and I got the biggest jawdrop ever.

But since I have a full party I still try to minimize casting Dweomer to none if I'm not in a really bad situation or I'm totally alone like the above example, so no really fancy stuff to share.. Until I get to Ust Natha of course, this is going to be a one big playground >:)
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Ust Natha should be really fun with a Wild Mage. I like to do the quests the good way, use both sets of Fake Eggs, etc, wait for the entire city to turn on me - and just drop every bastard who comes at me. It was surprisingly easy to massacre the entire city, though if a few Drow are a problem at that point in the game, something is likely wrong. Lots of opportunities for fun surges there!
  • SporvanSporvan Member Posts: 31
    Late game Nahal's Reckless Dweomer is insane when combined with Improved Alacrity and both Chaos Shields.

You basically don't even need to cast a timestop unload 6 potential dragon's breaths/comets in one go and fail suprisingly little. Wild Mage is insane when you exploit wild magic lategame.