Skip to content

Kangaxx the Demilich

Well this guy is mean. 15+ imprisonment spells? That's just plain rude.

I have found some advice on how to go about killing this 'demilich' but I need someone to clarify certain spells and strategies my level 11 party can take.
First, where is this sling of eversed people keep talking about? What is this guy even vulnerable to? I'm starting to think he is immune to the majority of types of attacks. My +3 weapons don't affect him.
Second, I assume that the spell 'protection from the undead' is a cleric spell, but it must be a level 6 or 7 spell because I don't see it (or maybe it just comes in scrolls)?
Third, when a person is 'imprisoned', how many turns is this for? Surely it's not permanent. I could summon more creatures if it was permanent but I guess it could just be a bug.

These are just some starting questions, any answers/advice is appreciated!

Comments

• lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    edited January 2014
    !
    Post edited by lelag200 on
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Heya,i believe there exist some scrolls with protections from undeads and u definitive need a +4 weapon or something that can disrupt the undead.My dwarf defender hasn't recovered yet from this battle and is forever stuck in oblivion by imprisonment.
  • lelag200lelag200 Member Posts: 125
    There are 2 answers. Answers I appreciate, but frown at nonetheless
  • rathe101rathe101 Member Posts: 61
    There is a +4 staff in the adventures mart right as you leave the first dungeon, and depending on who you sided with, you can get the staff of disruption +1 (which hits as +4 i think vs undead) and then upgrade it to the mace of disruption +2 (which hits as +5) and has a chance to instantly kill Kangaxx. That's how I got him, Korgan got a lucky hit, and downed him in the first round due to the instant kill.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Imprisonment is quite permanent. The only way to end it is to cast a Freedom spell in the same area, and you can't acquire that spell until chapter 5. Even so, it's not exactly feasible to fight Kangaxx with it, plus imprisonment and petrification will disrupt romances.

Let's mention two classic ways to survive him. One, a berserker. While under the effects of their rage, they cannot be imprisoned. Note that Minsc's rage does not confer this immunity. Either Korgan or charname.

The other, if you don't like the idea of protection scrolls, is the 5th level wizard spell Spell Immunity. Imprisonment is an abjuration spell so there you go, but you can only protect your wizard with it and I can make no promises that you can ensure that Kangaxx will keep trying with your wizard.

To damage him there's the level 3 wizard spell Melf's Minute Meteors, apart from +4 or better weapons. Furthermore, Ring of Energy (called The Victor now I believe) and Ring of the Ram will hurt him just fine.
  • ZalsonZalson Member Posts: 103
    Not sure if the spoiler tags are necessary but:

1. Check out the Copper Coronet. Talk to Joluv.
    2. Protection from Undead is a protection scroll, not a Cleric spell.
    3. Imprisonment is permanent: 9th level spells rock when you cast them, suck when they're cast on you. You can reverse the Imprisonment effect with the 9th level spell, Freedom.
  • stormy35stormy35 Member Posts: 39
    Lelag200, if you are in act2, you can immediately find the long sword 'Daystar' in a hidden passage located in the Crooked Crane Inn. There is a lich guarding the chest but you can grab the sword without having to fight the lich. It hits as a +4 against evil and does double damage against undead. An easy way to take down Kangaxx would be to equip the sword on Korgan, run in and rage to get immunity to imprisonment. That should kill the skull pretty fast. You should probably stand close to Kangaxx and use Daystar's 'sunray' ability on Kangaxx. Sometimes it can instant kill him with a ridiculous amount of damage like 500.

Another way is to get the mace of disruption from bodhi's lair. The damage is not as good as Daystar but it does the same trick. Or if you have 2 or more mages, having them cast protect from abjuration and haste, followed by melf's minute meteors which go through his protections.

There is also a direct way of inflicting damage on the skull by using 'the ring of the ram' (planar sphere).

Good luck!
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Protection from magic scroll or wait upon higher levels to dispel his Protection
  • NaastriilNaastriil Member Posts: 60
    The lich combat is very easy when you have Prot from Undead and Prot from Magic.
  • BronxHBronxH Member Posts: 18
    edited December 2013
    Somewhere I read a very funny way to kill Kangaxx, traps actually hurt him badly but you need to avoid to trigger the traps before his transformation. Lay your traps in the upper left corner and when he is transformed to Demi-Lich push him there using the Ring of Ram :) .

Generally Undead Protection Scrolls are needed (sold in temples), note his imprisonment goes through magic resistance. You can access weapons that hurt him quite early: Burning Earth Sword from the Druid Grove, Sling from the merchant in the Copper Coronet and the Staff from the Adventurer Mart (naturally Carsomyr works as well) . Also the simple and awesome Melf's Minute Meteors Spell can kill him.
    Mordenkainen Sword is also effective but you need to protect the Sword with a scroll.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Kangaxx has very high damage resistance, but it doesn't affect damage from some items. He also has fairly few actual HP. The ring of the Ram can knock off 50% of his HP in one shot.

Combined with Spell Immunity: Abjuration, +4 or above weapons and protection from undead/magic scrolls and he's not too tricky.

If a party member does not have SI:A or a protection scroll then stand them at the room exit and they shouldn't get targeted.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    I usually beat Kangaxx with my mage/cleric, haste/immunity/+4 weapon such as staff of rhynn/righteous magic and tenser transformation to finish him off, this way you can even add other party member if ever your charac doesn't deal enough damage, even if they don't have immunity since kangaxx will just focus on your mage/cleric.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    This time around I temporarily recruited keldorn, inquisitor dispel plus carosmyr and two improve hasted fighters took him down before he got a spell off.

Daystar does not hit him but the Sunray does, daystar counts as a +2 for magical protections. However, he is very possible at low levels if your willing to burn one of the two protection from magic scrolls on a fighter and just keep whacking at him.

Also you can use vaillor's helm and then have your simulacrum use a ninth level scroll to hurt him such as meteor swarm if you kill all your apprentices as a Mage to get it.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    There are only two protection from magic scrolls in the game (available for sale at the Adventurers' Mart). I often use one of them for Kangaxx. The second I have never found any use for.
  • SearonixSearonix Member Posts: 15
    Kangaxx in lich form requires +3 weapons to hurt him and is immune to spells bellow level 6.
    In demilich form he requires +4 or better weapons to hurt him, he has 95% physical resistance(weapons with elemental damage work well) and is immune to all but level 9 spells.

-Spell Immunity: Necromancy(level 5 arcane), Protection From Magic Energy(level 6 arcane) protect against Abi-Dalzim's.
    -Spell Immunity: Abjuration protects against Imprisonment.
    -Protection from Magic protects against all magic, 2 scrolls in the entire game sold by Ribald in Adventurer's Mart.
    -Death Ward(level 4 divine) protects against Wail of the Banshee.

Weapons that can hit Kangaxx(copied from Sorcerers.net):

-Cloak Of The Stars*
    Creates six +5 darts per day. Obtained from the corpse of the Shadow Lord.

-Boneblade Dagger
    Obtained from the corpse of Qilue, Ust Natha.

-Gauntlets Of Crushing
    Obtained from the corpse of Prince Villynaty, Sahuagin City.

-Blackmist Halberd
    Obtained from Ardulace's demon as a reward for giving up the eggs.

-Dragon's Breath Halberd
    Obtained from a party of adventurers that attack you in the Underdark.

-Wave Halberd
    Manufactured by Cromwell the Smith. You obtain the haft from the Planar Prison Warden and the blade from Prince Villynaty in the Sahuagin City.

-Flame Tongue Longsword*
    Obtained from the corpse of Darok in the Druid Grove. Its +4 enchantment vs. undead works on Kangaxx, apparently.

-Improved Mace of Disruption*
    You get the unimproved mace from the blood bath in Bodhi's lair when you first take on the vampires. Cromwell can combine this with the illithium you obtain during the Sarles quest to create the improved mace. It strikes as a +5 weapon.

-Ring Of The Ram*
    Obtained from the corpse of Tolgerias in the Planar Sphere. Does a goodly amount of damage but can only be used once per day.

-Sling Of Everard*
    Available from Joluv in the Copper Coronet (one of the bonus CD merchants).

-Short Bow Of Gesen
    Manufactured by Cromwell. Shaft is obtained from the tanner's house, Bridge District. Bowstring is obtained from the Spellhold labyrinth.

-Cutthroat Short Sword
    Obtained from Bodhi's lair in chapter 6.

-Spear Of Withering
    Bought from a drow merchant in Ust Natha.

-Staff Of The Magi*
    Obtained from the corpse of Layenne, arch-mage with the Twisted Rune.

-Staff Of Rhynn*
    Bought from the Adventurer's Mart.

-Staff Of The Woodlands
    Reward from Rhillifane in Suldanesselar. I don't think you'll get the chance to use it, though.

-Carsomyr*
    Obtained from the corpse of Firkraag.

- Soul Reaver Two Handed Sword
    Obtained from the demon knights in the Western Tunnels, the Underdark.

-Warblade Two Handed Sword
    Added to the stock of Adventurer's Mart in chapter 6.

-Crom Faeyr
    Manufactured by Cromwell. Requires Hammer Of Thunderbolts (Temple District sewers), Crom Faeyr Scroll (Shadow Dragon), Gauntlets Of Ogre Power (Planar Sphere), Girdle Of Frost Giant Strength (demon knights, Underdark).

-Black Blade of Distaster
    Level 9 mage spell sold in special stock by Ribald in the Adventurer's Mart

-Melf's Minute Meteors
    Level 3 mage spell hits as a +5 weapon

-Ring of the Ram
    Dropped by Tolgerias in Planar Sphere.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    kryptix said:

This time around I temporarily recruited keldorn, inquisitor dispel plus carosmyr and two improve hasted fighters took him down before he got a spell off.

Daystar does not hit him but the Sunray does, daystar counts as a +2 for magical protections.

Daystar counts as a +4 weapon when it comes to its enchantment (regardless of the enemy).
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Sword of Fire can be bought in various places - if Ribald doesn't have it then it is available with Bernard in the Copper Coronet.
  • SearonixSearonix Member Posts: 15
    Sword of Flame is a +1 weapon and isn't the same as Flame Tongue Longsword.
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    There are 2 scrolls of protection from magic you can buy from Ribald Barterman that makes you immune to imprisonment. Or use scrolls of protection from Undead sold in temples. You can equip a character with Vhailor's Helm, sold by Deidre in the Adventurer's Mart, that allows you to cast Simulacrum, use the scrolls from your double, saving the originals for later. Usually I have enough time to do the Twisted Rune fight before the scrolls wear off.

You can get the Ring of the Ram by pickpocketing Tolgerias in the council building, Government District (The one that gives you the quest to search for Valygar) You don't have to wait for the planar's sphere. The ring can hit Kangaxx for half his HP.
    Cast Melf Minute Meteor on your mages, considered as +5 weapons and makes 5 attacks/round.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    elminster said:

kryptix said:

Daystar does not hit him but the Sunray does, daystar counts as a +2 for magical protections.

Daystar counts as a +4 weapon when it comes to its enchantment (regardless of the enemy).
    Yeah, I'm quite sure this is not true. Even if it gains bonus against Undead, it still counts as +2 weapon when it comes to hitting things.

It should also be noted that if you want to solo him with a Mage with Melf's, you have to dedicate all your 3rd level slots for that spell because there is no way you're going to kill him with just one cast.
  • SporvanSporvan Member Posts: 31
    Easy encounter nowadays. Have one char hit him with Ring of the Ram and Rasaad hit him with Soul Sunray and he drops instantly.
    edited December 2013
    Lathlaer said:

elminster said:

kryptix said:

Yeah, I'm quite sure this is not true. Even if it gains bonus against Undead, it still counts as +2 weapon when it comes to hitting things.

Zaaman Rul is immune to +2 weapons and lower. He's also Neutral Good and is not undead.

• xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    edited December 2013
    @Sporvan: Rasaad has indeed turned many dangerous undead encounters into so many pieces of cake. You can even do this: allow the dangerous undead monster to start casting its spell, then have Rasaad hit him with Soul Sunray. You have a 100 per cent certainty of hitting the monster and disrupting its spell casting. Sometimes it even makes me feel it's just too easy now.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    elminster said:

Lathlaer said:

elminster said:

kryptix said:

Zaaman Rul is immune to +2 weapons and lower. He's also Neutral Good and is not undead.

Was this fixed in EE? because I'm pretty sure daystar only counted as +2 before... Oh well, I guess I can use it in my next play through then, I've been swapping it out for the fights that take +3 to hit...
    @kryptix Huh, my thoughts exactly. I remember not being able to hit most of the more powerful enemies with it.
    edited December 2013
    Could be a change in BG2EE. Not sure.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I'm 90% sure that the Daystar couldn't hit Kangaxx in vanilla BG2. It's definitely not a part of "50 ways to kill your Kangaxx" ;)
  • AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    Best strategy without too much cheese (like Scrolls of Pretoection from Undead and Magic):
    -Get a mage and Keldorn with Carsomyr up front, other party members out back and turn off AI.
    -Use Keldorn's abilites or mages spells like Dispel and True Sight in the lich stage.
    -As soon as Kangaxx turns into demilich cast Spell Immunity: Abjuration and position the mage right in front of Kangaxx - he will target the mage and Keldorn can stand behind the mage and deal damage with his +5 sword. Easy.
  • stormy35stormy35 Member Posts: 39
    Daystar does hit Kangaxx. It is hitting as a +4 weapon as intended. Apparently double damage means literally rolling it twice, each time dealing a normal type damage as well as an additional holy damage. So a single hit from Daystar result in 4 separate damage rolls on Kangaxx. Kangaxx seems to be resisting some of the normal damage but not the holy damage.

2 step-action by Korgan can eliminate Kangaxx in a few seconds.
    1) start casting 'Sunray' right next to Kangaxx as soon as his skeleton materializes from the sarcophagus.
    It will hit him for 500 damage as he finishes his speech. It's pretty funny that you see his chain contingency triggering after he's dead.
    2) rage and hit the demi-lich with Daystar for a few rounds. There's nothing else required. You can save these two precious protection from magic scrolls for later.

Something fun to experiment with Daystar: Protect yourself with protection from negative energy and run to the center of the vampire room in the Firkraag Dungeon that has anywhere between 5-10 vampires plus some mummies (depending on your level). Use Daystar to cast 'Sunray' to annihilate the whole group:) Too much vampiric mists escaping can sometimes block your movements.

Daystar is very useful even in TOB. I normally let Rasaad equip it since he can use neither mace of disruption nor runehammer. Rasaad can have 5 actions per around by using his fist and the Scarlett Ninja-to in the offhand. His lack of two-weapon style can be made up by using the gauntlets of crushing (+4 to THAC0 and +4 to damage).imageimageimage
    ^
    Yes, I also keep Daystar even to ToB. Saves slot for Sunray since it's Cleric lvl 7 and wonderfully takes care of large groups of undead (those in the Unseeing Eye caves come to mind). Provided you won't get hot while surrounded of course.