Skip to content

help! I power gamed too much! (SPOILERS!)

Hi everyone,

So I've played this game a few times through (many times actually) prior to the enhanced edition, but this time I over did it a bit as far as powergaming/metagaming etc- oops!

With my 4 person party of CHARNAME (elf berserker), Vicci, Neera, and Hexxat, I completed almost all available quests in chapter 2 and then played all the way through watcher's keep almost to the end, before I started chapter 3. Now I'm getting ready for the underdark and I'm so overpowered that I can pretty much rely on scripts to win any battle with very little micromanagement, even after cranking the difficulty up to insane. All 4 of my characters have high level abilities and I haven't even fought a single drow!

I know this is my fault for power gaming, and I'm not the first to do this, but I am looking for ways to keep the rest of the game interesting and I am open to all suggestions.

One thing I've wondered about- I know I can dump party members, but my main character is the most OP of all. Has anyone found a way to set an NPC like Vicci as the CHARNAME or main PC? Can I dump my CHARNAME?

Just a thought. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

-M

Comments

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Install SCS and add the maximum level encounters as well as the mages and priests get hlas components. With your team makeup I think that will still give you a big challenge.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Get a full party to slow XP gain (next time).
  • BronxHBronxH Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2014
    Thats why I stopped starting parties of 4-5, great early on but quickly makes the game too easy.
    Apart from difficulty mods, maybe you can make roleplay rules for your characters to limit their power and make the game more challenging (only 1 Berserk per day, no Shield of Balduran, no Spell sequencers, no Necromancy spells from Neera, etc.).
  • FrogmanFrogman Member Posts: 153
    the guy before me likes the broncos! team sports! yeah! team sports!

if you think about it baldurs gate is REALLY similar to football! That's what I told some kids at my school and then they poured tomato soup down my pants and pushed me into a puddle of mud.
    Cromcakes
  • AntagonistAntagonist Member Posts: 139
    @derrick4372 I can't even... I just don't know how to respond.
    jackjack
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited January 2014
    Eck4343 said:

Has anyone found a way to set an NPC like Vicci as the CHARNAME or main PC? Can I dump my CHARNAME?

No. This is not possible without some serious hacks that nobody has invented yet. Game's designed with philosophy of you (player 1) as the protagonist.
    @Eck4343

Actually why not just nerf the whole party? I don't have much experience with EEkeeper, but I think you could take away 30% of their experience, that should do the trick I think.
  • rathe101rathe101 Member Posts: 61
    You can take away their XP, but it doesn't take away their levels. Its kinda odd that way.
    edited January 2014
    Dammit... Well I just found you could (in EEkeeper) degrade all XP to 0 and set level to which you would like to nerf the party minus 1, I assume you'll aim at 13-14 since you're just about to leave chapter 2.

Make sure you nerf every character by the same amount of levels, so if at the moment Hexxat's 21 and Neera's 20, you want to nerf by 7 levels, therefore Hexxat will end up 13 and Neera 12 because in CLUA you will want to level up every character.

Load the game, check the Record Page of character for the desired amount of XP your character will level up, and set it in CLUA

CLUAConsole:SetCurrentXP(xxxxx)

The characters will level up and the game should recalculate their statistics properly. Worked for me.

EDIT: I forgot, also when nerfing in EEkeeper, make sure you subtract proficiency points. Look below to find how many points a character should have on a certain level

http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Progression_Charts
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Eck4343 said:

One thing I've wondered about- I know I can dump party members, but my main character is the most OP of all. Has anyone found a way to set an NPC like Vicci as the CHARNAME or main PC? Can I dump my CHARNAME?

Activate the debug mode in the baldur.ini file.
    In game, move the cursor on your char, press Ctrl+K to kick it and Ctrl+Q to recruit it again.

Have fun
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Eck4343 said:

Activate the debug mode in the baldur.ini file.
    In game, move the cursor on your char, press Ctrl+K to kick it and Ctrl+Q to recruit it again.

Have fun