Skip to content

Would you like an “unofficial” mod from Beamdog that adds to the original content?

SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I think I have yet to see a thread that looks favourably on the no change to original content ruling that Beamdog have to follow. Knowing that post-release content is already planned and expected I hope that whichever company forced the no changes contract overturns their decision, after all I know I would pay for DLC that improves and adds to pre-existing content and I am sure the same is true for many others.

However as much as I hope the preceding happens, I doubt it will. So what I instead ask is the following. Is there anything to stop a number of Beamdog employees from creating an “unofficial” mod? Unaffiliated with anything to do with their company, they just happen to work for Beamdog and made a mod in their own time.
Hells, I would happily donate money to such a worthy cause.

Know what, I will make that into a poll. Why not?

Who would like to see an “unofficial” mod created by those who worked on the game that adds in all the things we know the original content needs, but will lack on release?
  1. Would you like an “unofficial” mod from Beamdog that adds to the original content?99 votes
    1. Yes, and I would donate towards such a goal.
      51.52%
    2. Yes.
      18.18%
    3. No and yes, I want it but only as “official” content.
      22.22%
    4. No.
        8.08%

Comments

• SirickSirick Member Posts: 92
    jcompton said:

Now there's a group of people who *do* have access to the source code and *can* make low-level improvements, modernizations, and bugfixes. And instead of focusing on that, you want to turn them into content modders.

I’d like them to do both.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    If its not official then its basically a mod. We already have a great modding community for Baldur's Gate. Let developers be developers and modders be modders.

That's not to say that the developers aren't free to create mods if they want to.
  • PigeonPigeon Member Posts: 6
    Yes!!! Beamdog employees please make a sex mod in your spare time, that adds more sex to the original content. Thanks!!!
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited August 2012
    where was any sex in the game? Or do you mean sex with anything and anybody??? But i agree we all NEED way more sex and nude patches... there arent enough nude patches outthere
  • PigeonPigeon Member Posts: 6
    exactly my point good sir!!!
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited August 2012
    Baldurs romance for adullts... If you guys/gals donate some money I´ll do it:D
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    not just "yes", i'm counting on it. as it was pointed a few zillion times, game NEEDS some minor to moderate plot and content fixes or modifications.

since they have to release a "canon" version first, i hope they have all those creative ideas in store to release as a later "unofficial" pack.

and i strongly disagree with the notion of developers/modders. if that would be true, overhaul would only need to release new codes and let the community make a game out of it. i hope they will modify some content and provide us with professional-level modifications.

i'm not talking about "nude mods, sex mods, pigeons in city that crap on your equipment" mods, those are customizations that modders provide. i'm talking about them doing all that they would do, had they not the "no modifying original content" crap above their head.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I fail to see the point of this. Beamdog isn't going to spend time making free mods ;)
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Isn't this where modders fit in. eg: Unfinished Business and other add-on quest mods
    It’s not unheard of for developers to go the extra mile for their games and when done it is almost always a labour of love. The best example I can give off the top of my head is Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodline, the best unfinished game I have ever played.
    Just after the game was released the developer pretty much shut down, however the game was very buggy. A fair number of employees returned and spent weeks without pay to try their best to patch the game as well as they could.

Another example is found within a game series much closer to home.
    Throne of Bhaal is pretty much held up as the runt of the litter, in an effort to improve it one of the designers for the game released some mods of his own in an effort to restore some cut content, add playtime and increase difficulty.

If Beamdogs hands are tied by contract an unofficial mod would allow them to improve and add upon the games core content.

And I would like to make clear I am in no way bashing modders. Every reinstall of Baldur’s Gate I have played since my first time has been modded in some way, sometimes very heavily. I have even contributed in a small way to some mods.
    There are some fantastic mods made by a very passionate community, but I don’t think any of them are done to the level of professionalism that Enhanced Edition will be.

I think Beamdog are in the very unique position of being able to deliver some of the best modifications to the core game we could hope to see.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Yup, I advocated and unofficial not ToB ending
  • PhyraxPhyrax Member Posts: 198
    If you must believe the tweets of @TrentOster, then they have no spare time to spare.

Which is not to say that I do not endorse the idea...
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I fail to see the point of this. Beamdog isn't going to spend time making free mods ;)
    I think the 'contribute' option accounts for this. It would be more like DLC, which violates the contract. I did vote that I'd like to do that, but I'm 99.99% certain that, contractually, BeamDog can do no such thing. Therefore, any such mods or adjustments would have to be in the form of BG3 or whatnot.

The chieftain has spoken.
    Whilst saddened that we may never see Beamdog tackling the expansion of the core content I will except the Overlords ruling.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Well, the only thing I disagree with is unofficial. Official content is something that I would absolutely love to give money for, especially if it's really decent content. I understand the contractual agreement that says that current content from the vanilla game cannot be changed, but is there any possibility that that will change in the forseeable future? If it does, then I have no problem paying a little extra for said changes :)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited August 2012
    @Sirick, based on the thread title only:

If comes from Beamdog and is made for BG EE, It's official no matter what.

You can't lauch unnoficially something that belongs to you. It's impossible.

What you probally mean, raised only for the sake of debate, is an unnoficial mod/patch/DLC made by the devs without the support of Beamdog BUT MAYBE using the source code to clean the projects codes, cos the devs have acess to it..., so tell me if i hit the point, is that what you want?

"Edit"
    The objective of this:

As unnoficial mods we can break every single rule made by Atari and WotC in terms of content change, and with acess to the source code we can do this in the proper manner, making modded DLCs clean from bugs.
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    If something like what you're thinking were to happen, it would be done on the Overhaul Games staff's own time and would be released like David Gaider's Ascension
    edited August 2012
    It's possible @NineCoronas, but if done the BG Team just don't need make an announce to the four winds that they did it.

I'm not going to vote, but lemme answer the pool: No, i would not make an monetary invest if they make something like that, cos it would be unjust with other modders, if the BG team want to make this, that gonna be a huge advance to BG legend, they gonna have my respect as all the others modders that make they work free, i would feel more confortable in buy other EE products as the devs of the company truly care about their fans, but no, i would not make an direct remuneration for many reasons.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I'd definitely like to see it - there isn't really any difference between official and unofficial, content-wise (excepting a certain amount of QA). Some mods are so seamless and immersive they could just as well have been part of the vanilla game. The BG1NPC project comes to mind.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    No matter what the situation may be about who works on a project like this, or when, or with what resources, it just seems fishy to me. Beamdog, for reasons that I must admit remain beyond me were given a contract with very specific stipulations about what they can and cannot do. In my experience this means that corporate lawyers were involved.

Lawyers don't tend to take kindly to lines like 'Of course our company didn't modify your copyrighted content outside the scope of our contract! It was just some of our employees that decided on a whim to do it on their own for no reason whatsoever'.

Something like that could endanger the creation of BG2EE, BG3 etc and nothing, NOTHING is worth that risk.
    @kilroy_was_here, i can't speak for american laws (and the laws of the state the copyright was designed), but in common sense of contracts, they can't do a thing if one of the devs act in a particular way, after all a dev can be a modder too, unless the devs are binded by a labor contract that prevent some acts, but that would be between them and Beamdog, not between the devs and Atari or WotC.

They can at the maximum try to proof that Beamdog supported the act, IF beamdog support an act like that, what not gonna happen.

Unnoficial mods are accepted for a long time, chose one person to sue because a non profitable work after years of tolerance? Doesn't seems a very good move for me.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @kamuizin I don't know if they would take the trouble to sue, but believing the other party to have violated the spirit of the contract would endanger further similar contracts. That's what I would like to avoid.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    If something like what you're thinking were to happen, it would be done on the Overhaul Games staff's own time and would be released like David Gaider's Ascension
    Agreed. The Beamdog team can't really do much even unofficially without getting into hot water. The best case scenario would be a member or two doing something off their own back and on their own time. If a professional level mod came out that could be tracked back to the team it could mean a lot of trouble for them. And I don't think them quietly putting out the door would go unnoticed either, someone would likely find out.

Besides even if they could do something unofficial as a team it could mean taking development time from other things. Like polishing up the game, finding bugs etc and possibly less DLC later on.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Maybe to rectify this, the source code should be available to modders. Would that work or am I just computer unsavy.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Dazzu said:

Would that work or am I just computer unsavy.

Marketing unsavvy, most likely. Maybe EA could confirm or deny this ;)