Skip to content

Romancees dying

So when someone you romance dies in battle, the romance ends right? Isn't that....dumb? And annoying? Requires me to replay the last few fights many times. :(

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Only if they are removed from the party as a result. So chunking (well that's just permadeath, obviously cannot romance a few chunks of meat or bones), Petrification or Imprisonment.

Also Throne of Bhaal fixes that problem.

'Normal deaths' has no effect on romance.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Just don't let the love of your life be imprisioned or petrified and you will be ok :)!
  • MythdraconMythdracon Member Posts: 187
    edited January 2014
    Ah, so if they just die from stabbing and remain in your party and you resurrect them, it's ok. Glad to hear it. Some sites say otherwise.

So permadeath from chunking....explain? I'm unfamiliar with Core Rules but apparently companions can permadie via them...
    When somebody is dead, don't remove them from the party, that would prevent u from ever raising them. Also never remove a romance partner from the party for any reason.

As for chunking...

U know when u hit an enemy and they don't just die, but explode into a mess of gore and blood... If u play on Core Rules or higher, that can happen to your companions too. I am not 100% sure about mechanics, but I think it happens when you take more than -10 damage as a result of the killing blow.

For example, if u had 1 hp left, an ogre hits u for 12, that'd result in "massive damage" and permadeath. The character is removed from the party and cannot be raised.

Ah, so if they just die from stabbing and remain in your party and you resurrect them, it's ok. Glad to hear it. Some sites say otherwise.

So permadeath from chunking....explain? I'm unfamiliar with Core Rules but apparently companions can permadie via them...

If you or one of your companions die with an negative life of -X on your HP (you have 5 hp and take 30 damage for example from a physical source), you will perma die in core rules or any higher difficult. Deaths like that simple destroy the NPC in an final way, so not only your romance will be ended this way but the NPC participation as well.

Magic does not shatter kill NPCs regardless the amount of damage unless that's an function of the magic (desintegrate for example).

Wish and limited wish spells should be able ways to ressurect shattered NPCs, but that was not implemented on the game from all i know.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    The bg ee team fixed petrification and imprisonment for new chars romances. But not for the old. They should have fixed it fo all!!
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    What happens when you "remove" them from the party without actually going through with it? For example if I remove Aerie from the party and then change my mind when she asks if I'm sure, will it kill the romance? I thought it was okay but she's not talking to me anymore, and I'm not sure if it's that or if I said the wrong thing.
    nano said:

What happens when you "remove" them from the party without actually going through with it? For example if I remove Aerie from the party and then change my mind when she asks if I'm sure, will it kill the romance? I thought it was okay but she's not talking to me anymore, and I'm not sure if it's that or if I said the wrong thing.

You're dating someone, then you get to her and say: "look, i'm needing a bit of space atm, it's nothing personal, serious, i will soon be back" or "look, i'm needing some space to reform the group, it's nothing personal and i will be back to pick you up soon".

If you need me to answer the consequences, i believe you didn't date much in real life.
    @kamuizin I'm pretty sure most girls I've dated would understand because, ya know, they aren't clingy wrecks. But I'm asking about what happens in the game. Somehow you managed to misunderstand the question, not answer it, and still be a douchebag in the process. Good work.
    No need to take offense from my comments, that wasn't the intent. No need also to resort to offenses, my post in fact gave answer your question; Drop you romance partner from the group and you screw the romance.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I think what's being asked is if he changes his mind before the romancee leaves the group, but after initiating the "break-up", so to speak, is the affair over?
  • beingmarkhbeingmarkh Member Posts: 42
    So somebody asks a perfectly legitimate question about game mechanics (this was clearly a misclick), you deduce that the premise of the question about a fantasy game indicates inexperience with real human women, and you complain that your remarks are taken offensively? Seriously?

If my job involved traveling literally (among other equally nasty places) to Hell and killing thousands of demons and trolls and vampires and dragons, where I and my co-workers are routinely wounded and occasionally killed, I'm pretty sure my wife would be quite happy to be elsewhere. Maybe I could give her startup money to open a shop in Athkatla and mark everything up seven hundred percent.

But that wouldn't happen, because BG2, while an unassailably cool game, portrays human relationships imperfectly, and even that is a charitable thing to say. Are you suggesting that experience with real women would provide an understanding of a kidnapped winged elf with daddy issues who works in a one-tent circus? For that matter, you seem to suggest that all women react identically to identical situations, which is infinitely more indicative of inexperience with same than how Aerie reacts to a party kick.

If you don't want your remarks to be taken offensively, then don't say offensive things, especially when those offensive things are patently and palpably dumb.
    I'm not actually dropping her though, I'm clicking remove and then telling her it was a mistake. I did some testing of my own and it seems like it doesn't break romances.

Also, it turns out Aerie is pretty resilient and doesn't actually mind being dropped, at least over the short times I tested it. Jaheira on the other hand takes it badly even if you're not in a serious relationship (romance variable 2).
    edited January 2014
    I also figured out where I went wrong. There's one banter where I said something like "I'm glad you're feeling better, let's keep going" instead of buttering her up some more... and apparently that breaks the romance. But honestly, it was really poor timing on her part to be fishing for compliments in the middle of Watcher's Keep.

Now that I think of it, it makes sense with her personality. She's an inexperienced girl who will happily wait for you forever if you ask her to. But if you brush her off, even if you don't think it's a big deal, she takes it really badly.
    @kamuizin
    I don't think we've had any significant disagreements that I can recall, and you contribute a lot on this forum, and I remember only good advice from you when u have responded to my questions. So common sense tells me to stay outta this one...

But I have noticed you to be... difficult... at times. "Shoot first, ask questions later". Both in the above example, and earlier today with the "kind of weapon" misunderstanding. Please, you make lots of helpful/insightful contributions, and @nano is witty and entertaining. Let's all just get along and keep this forum as nice as possible! :)
    edited January 2014

So somebody asks a perfectly legitimate question about game mechanics (this was clearly a misclick), you deduce that the premise of the question about a fantasy game indicates inexperience with real human women, and you complain that your remarks are taken offensively? Seriously?

If my job involved traveling literally (among other equally nasty places) to Hell and killing thousands of demons and trolls and vampires and dragons, where I and my co-workers are routinely wounded and occasionally killed, I'm pretty sure my wife would be quite happy to be elsewhere. Maybe I could give her startup money to open a shop in Athkatla and mark everything up seven hundred percent.

But that wouldn't happen, because BG2, while an unassailably cool game, portrays human relationships imperfectly, and even that is a charitable thing to say. Are you suggesting that experience with real women would provide an understanding of a kidnapped winged elf with daddy issues who works in a one-tent circus? For that matter, you seem to suggest that all women react identically to identical situations, which is infinitely more indicative of inexperience with same than how Aerie reacts to a party kick.

If you don't want your remarks to be taken offensively, then don't say offensive things, especially when those offensive things are patently and palpably dumb.

Did i spoke with you? No? So don't adress me to speak this kind of bullshit. And if you feel offense from this comment, well... swallow it, i don't care.

The issue was solved, @Nano took offense from my comments, replied in kind (fairly) and i gave apologise, then come an douchebag as you trying to appear nice and inteligent, give some rethoric fallacious comments to gather likes and agrees. One of the problems in this forum nowdays are imbeciles like you that provoke flame wars from the apparently position of morality.

You have nothing to do with the subject. @Nano expressed himself after my comment and i offered apologise. Next time you think n give moral lessons, think twice and do not post, your fallacious bullshit isn't needed, the name for it is hypocrisy.

@Heindrich1988, i'm a bit problematic sometimes i give you reason in that, some jokes of mine are unnecessary and if i thought twice before i would not make them or try to soft the terms to avoid offense. I don't know @Nano to speak about his particular personal life, so i clearly tried to make a prank with him, an unhappy prank from what i can see of the result :(!

This forum helped me a lot in take more control and conscience over what i write (i was a lot more problematic in the past), but apparently i still have points to mature.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Don't we all.
  • beingmarkhbeingmarkh Member Posts: 42
    "You're surprised how Aerie reacted, therefore you don't know anything about real women" was the precise beginning of the flame war, started by you.

And until an admin bans me, I'll quite happily saunter into any thread on the boards and contribute. That is how internet forums work. And in any event, I *do* have something to do with the subject, because every single NPCs kick chat indicates that they think you've removed them by mistake, and I've always wondered if that meant that a party kick had to be confirmed before it took.

And whether I'm intelligent and moral or only appear so, it's really hard to take that as an insult.
    @kamuizin no hard feelings, and I'm sorry for my harsh reply. We're all people and misunderstandings happen on the internet. Here's a virtual handshake, it's not a big deal so let's not make it into one. I'll watch the namecalling in the future... ya lousy bastard. (okay, okay, bad time for a joke :p )
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

(obviously cannot romance a few chunks of meat or bones)

Tell that to Matthew Broderick!
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    So you claim that you can party kick aerie in soa and still have an active romance when you pick her up again?

I have heard many times before that it wont work. Have you tested this?
    I suggest you do your own testing before relying on it. I only tried a couple of instances.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I think it works with the new NPCs... they are less clingy!