Skip to content

I (hypothetically ;-) screwed up and made Cromwell hostile….

Anyone have a fix? Does the CLUA console work with BG2:EE? I haven't used it since the original games 15 years ago and am not even sure I can fix it with that.

Help?

Der.

Thanks!

Comments

• MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited January 2014
    Hi, CLUAConsole works in BGII:EE the same way it worked in the original one.

I've fount this page googling related to your trouble: http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57809

Seems that there is no code related to Cromwell, but I'm not so sure... maybe @SpaceInvader could know something?

EDIT

I've found this list of BGII npcs, but no clue on understanding if Cromwell is amongst them.
    Post edited by Metalloman on
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited January 2014
    Sure :)

- STEP 1, to activate CLUA commands:
    Cuv said:

1. Enabling the CLUA Console

C:\User\My Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition
    Open up the Baldur.ini with a text editor. I suggest ConTEXT as its free and will also enable you to easily edit scripts too.

Add these lines 'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1', You can put it right at the top if you like

CREATE TABLE options (
    section string,
    name string,
    value string
    );
    INSERT INTO options ROWS (
    'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',
    **NOTE** If you are having trouble getting Vista/7/8 to recognise or keep your changes... try either changing the system permissions on the INI file, or another method is to copy out the INI file to your desktop (or wherever), make your edits then save. Verify they are in there, then drop back into your Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition folder and 'replace' the existing one.

- STEP 2, once in game (after killing Cromwell manually or by Ctrl+Y):

Hit Ctrl+Space. This will bring up a window where you need to type in the following:

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("WSMITH01")

This will spawn a new, neutral Cromwell.
    Post edited by SpaceInvader on

CLUAConsole:CreateCreature("WAMITH01")

This will spawn a new, neutral Cromwell.

WHOA! You're great @SpaceInvader, as always!
    That code wasn't even in the huge list I've linked! O,o'...

WALLA
    WARSAGE
    WASLEEP
    WATCH
    WATCH2
    WATCH3
    WATCH6
    WATCH9
    WAUKLEO
    WAUKMOO
    WAUKNI01
    WAUKSNA
    WAUKSQU
    WAYLANE
    @Metalloman
    When you're running EEKeeper, just click on the Creature Browser (Ctrl+N) and look for the NPC you need.
    Every NPC has a code ;)
    Glad to help
    Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately I can't use BGII:EE and EEKeeper while at work, on my work-PC... :(
    I had to google to find that list...
    Thanks for helping!
    @Erg Whoops! Typo! :)
    Aaaaaaah! Caught! XD
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    Why use the console to cheat when you can charm him? I know it works with some shopkeepers, like the one in Mae'var's guild (I like to keep using his shop, after eliminating the thieves of the guildhouse).
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Jarleale said:

Why use the console to cheat when you can charm him? I know it works with some shopkeepers, like the one in Mae'var's guild (I like to keep using his shop, after eliminating the thieves of the guildhouse).

@Jarleale

Charming him will not work in vanilla (you'll get the "A mind-controlled creature cannot speak to you of his own free will" message), but IIRC this has been changed in the EE, so indeed it may work (I cannot test it myself as I don't have BG2:EE).

Just consider that Cromwell has much better saves than Gorch, so you'll only have approximately a 50 % chance of charming him per attempt (exact percentage depends on which item/spell do you use to charm him).
    @Erg: The Domination Staff you find in the Illithid's lair in the Underdark?
    edited January 2014
    In that case, Doom, GM and dominate might help. It has indeed been changed in BG2:EE, but I'm unsure if it works with Cromwell, as substantial time passes when he makes items for you. If he suddenly becomes hostile, that may break some script/triggers.

@Erg: The Domination Staff you find in the Illithid's lair in the Underdark?

@Metalloman

Assuming that the staff still works like in vanilla, it has no save, so success is guaranteed. However, the target will turn hostile again when the effect expires, so you'll have to keep charming him. Also the charm effect of the staff has the flag "Dire Charm" on it and I don't know if Dire Charmed creatures can speak in the EE.

For comparison the Nymph Cloak doesn't have the flags "Turn hostile afterwards" and "Dire Charm" set, but it has a save vs. Breath (with no penalty or bonus) so you'll have a 50% chance of success against Cromwell with it.
    So ultimately Clua is faster and safer! ;P

So ultimately Clua is faster and safer! ;P

CLUA is faster and easier, but the custom script method is the safest (in general), because killing and respawning a creature will remove all local variables stored on it.

In this particular case (i.e. Cromwell) is not a big deal as the only local variable should be the one containing the information whether he spoke with you at least once or not. So the respawned Cromwell will behave like he never met you before, but for the rest should work just fine.

In general, with other creatures, the missing local variables could potentially cause more serious issues.
    For completion, I tested it.

It works, although he will turn hostile again as @Erg noted.

Tried the following with success:
    - Charm person
    - Dire Charm
    - Domination
    - Mental Domination
    - Ring of Human Influence
    - Nymph's Cloak
    - The Visage (domination)
    - The Staff of Command

Before charming/dominating, I applied doom and GM. He only saved once, against Dire Charm.

He made me an Ankheg Plate without any problems/interruptions, although he turned hostile after the event.
  • withnailwithnail Member Posts: 67
    Thanks, everyone! Looks like there are three options for me to try. Will start with script, then CLUA, then if all fails, charms. Silly newb mistake of me, though!

Thanks, again!
    Erg said:

In this particular case (i.e. Cromwell) is not a big deal as the only local variable should be the one containing the information whether he spoke with you at least once or not. So the respawned Cromwell will behave like he never met you before, but for the rest should work just fine.

In general, with other creatures, the missing local variables could potentially cause more serious issues.

That's why I didn't bother to specify it :p
    Also, he'll probably always find him in the corner of his shop.
  • withnailwithnail Member Posts: 67
    Erg said:

@SpaceInvader

In vanilla BG2 the code is "WSMITH01". Has this been changed in the EE or it is a typo ?

Alternatively, it is a bit tricky but doable to calm Cromwell with a custom script, so you don't have to kill him :)

The script (I'm attaching a compiled version, unzip and put it in the subfolder "scripts" in the same folder where chitin.key is) could be something like

IF
    HotKey(A)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ChangeEnemyAlly("wsmith01",NEUTRAL)
    ClearAllActions()
    END

In game you have to select the script CalmCrm (using the customisation option) for one of the members of your party (e.g. CHARNAME), select that party member and then press the A key to calm Cromwell (it may take few seconds for the change to kick in).

Just be sure that the AI is on. It would help to temporarily select the script "none" for the other party members, so they will not automatically attack the hostile target.

When it's done, the previous scripts (e.g. "default", etc.) can be reselected for each party member.

Thanks! It worked perfectly!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    The thing is when you get inspired and make, well, a little bit more cheaty codes.

IF
    HotKey(E)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_STONE_SKIN)
    END

IF
    HotKey(N)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ForceSpell(Myself,WIZARD_CHAIN_CONTINGENCY)
    END

IF
    HotKey(Z)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_SPELL_TURNING)
    END

IF
    HotKey(D)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_SPELL_IMMUNITY)
    END

IF
    HotKey(B)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    DisplayStringHead(Myself,24097) // Contingency Released
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_PROTECTION_FROM_MAGIC_WEAPONS)
    ApplySpell(Myself,CLERIC_LESSER_RESTORATION)
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_SPELL_TRAP)
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_SPELL_SHIELD)
    ApplySpell(Myself,CLERIC_CHAOTIC_COMMANDS)
    ApplySpell(Myself,CLERIC_NEGATIVE_PLANE_PROTECTION)
    ApplySpell(Myself,CLERIC_FREE_ACTION)
    ApplySpell(Myself,CLERIC_HEAL)
    END

IF
    HotKey(V)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    DisplayStringHead(Myself,24097) // Contingency Released
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_IMPROVED_HASTE)
    ApplySpell(Myself,CLERIC_RIGHTEOUS_MAGIC)
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_SPELL_TRAP)
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_SPELL_SHIELD)
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_STONE_SKIN)
    ApplySpell(Myself,CLERIC_HEAL)
    ApplySpell(Myself,CLERIC_DRAW_UPON_HOLY_MIGHT)
    END

IF
    HotKey(T)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_TENSERS_TRANSFORMATION)
    END

IF
    HotKey(S)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    DisplayStringHead(Myself,26546) // Sunfire
    ApplySpell(Myself,WIZARD_SUN_FIRE)
    END
    For some reason I'm using a german keyboard with english language, so I can't type the symbol to close the Spoiler tag :P.