Skip to content

SCS related difficulties in Watcher's Keep (was titled something else...)

xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
Ok, I just saw something that made me think this may be it for me, bug-wise. I wonder if anyone else has seen this.

I went to the Githyanki encampent in Watcher's Keep level 4. I kept getting this repeating message about a githyanki Captain summoning a Fallen Deva. I thought it a bit strange, because you shouldn't be able to summon more than one at a time.

So, when I get to the room where the Captain is, lo an behold, he's waiting for me with about 20 to 25 Fallen Devas at his disposal. Every round, one of them is unsummoned, but every round, he summons one more. So, essentially, he has an endless supply of them. If I try to approach, his horde of Fallen Devas will blast me with such an array of spells that my whole group is in trouble.

I think this is more than I can take, in terms of quality control in a game. Anyone else have any opinions?
Post edited by xzar_monty on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Running any mods?
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    A most excellent point indeed! Yes, BG2 Tweak Pack and SCS. Does that tell you anything? Apart from the fact that the mods may be at fault. And if indeed the mods are at fault, I apologize for the tone of my previous post. Completely forgot about the mods...
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    You're too near the ending to give up, just ctrl-y all of them :-)
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    Celestial army be ready for the Child of Bhaal!!
    The mods could enter into it. But it really will depend if the bug is experienced by other people.
    edited January 2014
    @AnotherLife: I've never cheated before, so I had to check what that ctrl-y is and does. Nah, doesn't sound too good to me.

The thing is, I could drop the Captain from long distance, but it seems fairly difficult. If I don't insta-kill him, his Fallen Deva goons will heal him right back. There's absolutely no way to get near him, it has to be long-distance spells and insta-kill. If I manage to do that, the Fallen Devas will be unsummoned pretty quickly.

@elminster: Yep. My game has been pretty good so far, and SCS has been particularly enjoyable for someone like me who wants some extra challenge. But this is too much, especially because it is so blatantly against the rules.

Actually, what I'll do next is this: forget about this dungeon for a bit and go to the Illithid camp opposite. I'll return after clearing that. Upon re-entering this part of the dungeon, all the Devas should be unsummoned. I can then run straight to the Captain who'll be able to summon max. one Fallen Deva before I get to him. Even if he manages to do that, He's Got No Chance.
    Didn't even have to leave. I'd forgotten I was carrying a good ol' wand of cloudkill. Nine blasts from that, and then on the following round, follow it with two holy smites and you get a dead captain. Fallen Devas being unsummoned now.

I still wonder if this is a mod problem or a BG2EE problem, so input is much appreciated.
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    Well for me any Devas at all from the Githyanky captain. I never hear of a Githyanky in the game able to summon Devas. Its a mod fault pretty sure
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I think that's a SCS issue. I've certainly never encountered it in regular game playing: I've never even see him summon a fallen deva.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I've noticed that "captain" type monsters (like kobold captains, hobgoblin captains) have paladin-like abilities in my version of SCS. I don't know whether it's intentional but they keep spam casting detect evil when they have nothing else to do. Kind of weird considering they're evil themselves. I wonder if we're experiencing the same bug, but in your case the higher level "captain" type received paladin HLAs.
    edited January 2014
    I looked up what I think is his creature file (Gorgit.cre) in my vanilla version of the game. As far as I know he doesn't normally cast Summon Fallen Deva.
    Ok, thanks folks! I'll chalk it up to an SCS bug. And again, I apologize for my unnecessarily harsh wording in the original posting. I had completely forgotten I had mods installed.

Went and destroyed the demi-lich and Saladrex already. Damn, Saladrex lasted all of one and a half rounds. I'm getting good at this. :-)
    I think its @DavidW who is involved with SCS so I'll tag him here so that he sees this issue.
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    When I returned to Amn from the Underdark, a number of Gith had Blackguard abilities, such as poison weapon. This was in unmodded BG2EE, so I'd guess EE version has changed a few mobs to the new kits. Of course, the Gith in Watcher's Keep would be higher level, so it might not be the mod. Still, if you were getting that many, it sounds like a bug, either way.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I also noticed that the Antipaladins in the Silver Sword retrieval encounter had poison weapon now, and it was bloody powerful. 1 Dose knocked off about 50% of Jaheira's HP before I noticed it.
    Yea looks like they have 3 poison weapon uses.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Corvino said:

I also noticed that the Antipaladins in the Silver Sword retrieval encounter had poison weapon now, and it was bloody powerful. 1 Dose knocked off about 50% of Jaheira's HP before I noticed it.

Haha yeah as soon as I saw that I activated critical strikes and took it down in 2 hits...
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709

Ok, thanks folks! I'll chalk it up to an SCS bug. And again, I apologize for my unnecessarily harsh wording in the original posting. I had completely forgotten I had mods installed.

Since we're pretty clear it's an SCS and not EE bug maybe you can edit the title to something less flamewar-inducing? :)
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    Yeah, it's SCS. The Gith captain gets a blackguard kit and acquires the Blackguard Summon Fallen Deva power. Obviously for some reason it's not recording that it's used the power, and just keeps spamming it. What version are you playing?
    @DavidW: Version 27 (got this from the readme file), Weidu version 23500 (from running Setup).

Need any other info?

@elminster: Thanks for alerting DavidW to this. Much appreciated.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    You're one version out of date. I think you'll find version 28 fixes this.