Skip to content

the bridge district lich (possibly SCS specific question)

2»

Comments

• nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    @kryptix Poor lich... haha
    Actually I like that Viconia strategy. Showing up with the right buffs is legit in my book.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    edited January 2014
    nano said:

@kryptix Poor lich... haha
    Actually I like that Viconia strategy. Showing up with the right buffs is legit in my book.

Still had to res her a few times and wait for a few pit fiends to des pawn between sending her back down. Basically mr potion invis potion and resist fear along with whatever self buffs that would help that I had left. That lich doesn't have too many high level spells so once some are gone, azure edge kills it quick.

You can even grab daystar and use that to kill it.
    Oh I thought you meant you were healing her with the rod, not ressing her outside :p I think you should be able to do it in one go with the right buffs... Maybe with a mage instead of a cleric
    nano said:

Oh I thought you meant you were healing her with the rod, not ressing her outside :p I think you should be able to do it in one go with the right buffs... Maybe with a mage instead of a cleric

If you do it later definitely, when I did it at level 9 I might have been able to do it with only the rod's healing but I didn't try that, pit fiends are just too unforgiving early on... Especially in SCS where they won't attack their summoner...
    Yeah, that's why I think it's better to come back later with a plan and the right tools. If you try and do it at the wrong time you're pretty much forced to cheese it. I think there might be a way though, my party is too strong to attempt it now but on my next run I'll see what options there are.
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    Demons are a liiiiitle ridiculous in SCS. IMO. It's the instant casting that really does it (and ability to teleport to you wherever you are) :).

You can turn off instant casting, but then you get less-optimized AI -- so I leave it on. :/
    syllog said:

Demons are a liiiiitle ridiculous in SCS. IMO. It's the instant casting that really does it (and ability to teleport to you wherever you are) :).

You can turn off instant casting, but then you get less-optimized AI -- so I leave it on. :/

Yep, I honestly have no strategy for them other than pfmw or imp haste crit strikes or gww with a 2 hander/bow...

Outside of kill them before they kill you, they see invis etc so you can't even run or backstab...

With pfmw and critical strikes I can take like 8-9 out though with just Charname...
    edited January 2014
    I guess I lucked out with the Crooked Crane lich, it looks like mine is the Invoker version and all he can summon are Mordy swords :)

I want to experience this pit fiend spamming version though, do I have to reinstall SCS to re-randomize the spellbooks?
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    nano said:

I guess I lucked out with the Crooked Crane lich, it looks like mine is the Invoker version and all he can summon are Mordy swords :)

I want to experience this pit fiend spamming version though, do I have to reinstall SCS to re-randomize the spellbooks?

there are other versions? my version basically put up protections, did his time stop and all those spells (luckily the doorway was out of the AOE spells range) and got a pit fiend that would kill him for me. i was lucky enough to final hit him though. anyway don't know about how you would go getting other versions, but really the pit fiend was no problem for me since it just attacked him.
    kryptix said:

syllog said:

Yep, I honestly have no strategy for them other than pfmw or imp haste crit strikes or gww with a 2 hander/bow...

Outside of kill them before they kill you, they see invis etc so you can't even run or backstab...

With pfmw and critical strikes I can take like 8-9 out though with just Charname...
    send you tank up to have the demon's aggro then send your thief around when it is busy on him. don't know if he removes invisibility or not, but I had non detection from my cloak anyway
    nano said:

I think every time you reinstall SCS it randomizes the specializations maybe? But I thought spells actually get re-randomized out of a certain preference system every time you rest, maybe I'm wrong... @DavidW would know...
    edited January 2014

nano said:

there are other versions? my version basically put up protections, did his time stop and all those spells (luckily the doorway was out of the AOE spells range) and got a pit fiend that would kill him for me. i was lucky enough to final hit him though. anyway don't know about how you would go getting other versions, but really the pit fiend was no problem for me since it just attacked him.
    Haha yeah, that's happened to me before too. They're not supposed to but the demons still turn on their master occasionally and I have to steal the kill from them.

Anyways SCS is supposed to randomize the spellbooks a little bit, not sure if it's per game or per install. Just to clarify, I'm talking about the lich under the inn in the city gates, not the bridge one. The bridge guy did summon a demon for me. The city gates one cast meteor swarm and horrid wilting and a bunch of other damage spells.
    nano said:

nano said:

Haha yeah, that's happened to me before too. They're not supposed to but the demons still turn on their master occasionally and I have to steal the kill from them.

Anyways SCS is supposed to randomize the spellbooks a little bit, not sure if it's per game or per install. Just to clarify, I'm talking about the lich under the inn in the city gates, not the bridge one. The bridge guy did summon a demon for me. The city gates one cast meteor swarm and horrid wilting and a bunch of other damage spells.
    Yeah my city gates one had at least 5 horrid wiltings and 2 meteor swarms... By the time I killed it it was down to spamming magic missles and melf's acid arrows...
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    nano said:

nano said:

yes that is the one i am talking about. small but just large enough that the AOE spells wouldn't kill my group when they hit my protected character :)
    The bridge district one is one of the few where you can run one character in without the rest of your people so you can really just protect one character for it...
    Same with the Daystar lich, you only need to send one guy in to dispatch him... and the one under the Temple district is in a big enough area that you can confront him while leaving your party outside... what are we talking about anyways?

Oh btw, these liches that spring out of tombs are very weak to backstab. It's a little cheesy but you can hit them before their protections fire and kill them instantly.

My favorite is the cleric/thief "backstab": drop one trap near his spawn location, prepare a Harm. As soon as he appears he's non-hostile (blue) so the trap won't trigger. Hit him with Harm while he's still blue. He goes down to 1 hp and turns hostile, the trap sees him and kills him instantly. If you're quick you can do it on any non-hostile enemy, though creatures with magic resistance will be unHarmed. Much easier than waiting for Spike Trap HLA :D
  • syllogsyllog Member Posts: 158
    nano said:

Oh btw, these liches that spring out of tombs are very weak to backstab. It's a little cheesy but you can hit them before their protections fire and kill them instantly.

Really?!
    I always thought BG liches were immune to backstab on account of being 'immune' to invisibility. Same as demons.

It's weird but it doesn't matter if they can see you as long as you're "hidden" and you hit them in the back. You can backstab the svirfneblin's balor as well. I suppose it's unrealistic but they're separate effects and you can be immune to backstab but unable to see invisible, and vice versa.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    kryptix said:

nano said:

I think every time you reinstall SCS it randomizes the specializations maybe? But I thought spells actually get re-randomized out of a certain preference system every time you rest, maybe I'm wrong... @DavidW would know...
    You have to reinstall to rerandomize spell books in general. Certain liches are an exception, but I think not the CC lich.
  • MoonbloodMoonblood Member Posts: 26

ok so I am trying to get Kangaxx and killed the lich in the sewers already, but the other guy is just too much. i am not sure if this is SCS or normal, but he comes with a mage, vampire, beholder, human, and then himself. i can use summons to distract the vampire and kill the mage before she gets protections up via a backstab, but the beholder is not going down, and then I also have a lich! i was hoping somebody here might be able to give me a strategy here. the party is fighter/thief, jaheira, minsc, aerie, viconia, neera. we have up to level 7 mages spells at our disposal, and viconia recently got level 7 cleric spells. i may have to return to this after the underdark, but I am hoping to be done everything before then because at that chapter it feels like I should be rushing to Irenicus, not killing liches just for their ring.

I know its a bit late, but maybe helps. This is a strategy to beat twisted rune (Insane) without lose a single Hit Point. Elf Assassin Level 16 playing solo. This is not a fair play but what the hell! They are very powerful enemies and I am poor thief.

http://youtu.be/ry1ODSor5BM
    Pretty cool strategy, @Moonblood
    I'm going to have to try a variation on this next time... My strategy is usually to have the traps blow up shangalae but it seems like having them deal with the other two is actually more useful. I didn't realize prot from undead worked so well on blue shangalar. That means I can use it with azuredge as well if I don't have poison weapons.

The Mage would be harder though because I don't think I would be able to get through her defenses and stop her casting like those arrows with poison. Maybe some darts of wounding?

Next run will be a fighter/thief or fighter-ranger/cleric most likely kitted multi class so I think I'll have the flexibility to try that...
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    nano said:

Same with the Daystar lich, you only need to send one guy in to dispatch him... and the one under the Temple district is in a big enough area that you can confront him while leaving your party outside... what are we talking about anyways?

I tried taking out the city gates lich while under protection from undead, but he casts remove magic on me which dispels it. Even when he doesn't do that, he'll summon in a demon who can attack me and dispel my undead prot.

edited January 2014
    SCS liches are too smart for that old trick... by itself, anyways. Try layering on SI:Abjuration, or defending against his offense instead, or baiting out the dispel with another spell. The room might be big enough to dodge the dispel as well.
  • SerpionSerpion Member Posts: 67
    vangoat said:

I tried taking out the city gates lich while under protection from undead, but he casts remove magic on me which dispels it. Even when he doesn't do that, he'll summon in a demon who can attack me and dispel my undead prot.

I had killed that lich by Azureedge by Minsc (yes he is SCS lich). So you could try that cheese :)
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    No need to kill it. Just rush in with a thief, pick the lock which conveniently doesn't take any time in BG as opposed to the 1-10 rounds it does in PnP and out again. If you are fast enough the pile of bones doesn't even chase you :)
    Skaffen said:

No need to kill it. Just rush in with a thief, pick the lock which conveniently doesn't take any time in BG as opposed to the 1-10 rounds it does in PnP and out again. If you are fast enough the pile of bones doesn't even chase you :)

Doesn't work, SCS lets the lich magically lock you in his room with him.