Skip to content

Agonizing over party members.

2»

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Can not play without Imoen and Minsc. It would be like Star Wars without R2D2 and Chewbacca. Yeah, the story would go on, but without its heart and soul is it really one worth telling?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    kryptix said:

Also I want to point out that Viconia gets along with most of that team actually the only NPC who will fight with Viconia is Keldorn, but you can keep them in the same team if you are willing to make sure that they never stand closer than 1/3 of the screen from each other unless in combat. Its a bit annoying but you don't have to do it forever:

You can also get a Viconia/Valygar fight when she ridicules him for his tiny, tiny genitalia and fear of women. I believe that's triggered by talking to a courtesan or something.
  • SylphSylph Member Posts: 210
    I always have a hard time picking who to take along because I come up with all these friendships in my head and I want them all to hang out together ALL the time, but I still want to keep a decently balanced party :/
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited January 2014

Can not play without Imoen and Minsc. It would be like Star Wars without R2D2 and Chewbacca. Yeah, the story would go on, but without its heart and soul is it really one worth telling?

I dunno. My ears would greatly appreciate Star Wars without Chewbacca... I'm pretty sure a lot of people could manage without him :P Kashyyk in KotOR, dear lord...
    edited January 2014
    @silverstar I never played kotor but i heard good things!
    I like chewbacca. Though he's not my favorite, I think he is a loveable, irreplaceable part of the series.
    Artoo is actually my number one favorite character in the whole franchise by far.
    But then again I'm weird... I kinda enjoy Jar Jar Binks in small quantities and I think Ewoks were the greatest thing... EVER.

I just feel like if Baldur's Gate was Star Wars Artoo=Imoen (small, surprisingly competent and reliable, loyal, there from the start, squeaky voice and good fun) and Minsc=Chewie (both big warm giants with hearts of gold who are loyal and kick butt for goodness)

Other amusing parallels:
    Coran Horn=Han Solo (loveable adventuring rogue)
    Gorion=Obi Wan (wise old dude who dies)
    Firebead Elvenhair=Uncle Ben (irritable yet loving hick who cares for the hero... "its a-hard to find, decent folk nowadays")
    Jaheira=Leia (alpha-female buttkicker who defies the damsel in distress trope)
    Xan=C-3PO (We're all doomed!) Khalid also smacks of threepio a bit
    Nalia=Queen Amidala (young wide-eyed yet competent noble, not afraid to live among the commoners as Padme, etc.)
    Irenicus=Grand Moff Tarkin (confident, despicable jerk who can't help but admire for his incredible presence)
    Keldorn=Admiral Ackbar (Grizzled war veteran, after Firkraag ambush... "its a trap!")
    Sarevok... kinda like Vader in that he has a cool helmet and imposing presence/voice. Anomen would actually be a decent parallel for younger Anakin due to his arrogance and anger problems despite his noble intentions. Also their names sound similar.
    Garrick=Jar Jar Binks (I mean... come on... come on!) maybe Cespenar too (love Cespenar)
    Mae-Var=Jenny Craig version of Jabba (gangsta with a cruel streak)
    Kagain=Watto (Greedy old jerk)
    Kivan might be the closest to Bobba Fett due to his silent badassness
    Yoshimo=Lando Calrissian! (mad swag, unfortunate unwilling betrayal)
    Elminster=Yoda (older teacher-figure, unafraid to hide wisdom behind a facade of senile silliness)
    Tiax=Palpatine because Tiax Rules All!
    You're kinda crazy boo. Still awesome, but crazy.

Did the Ewok admission give me away? ;p

Did the Ewok admission give me away? ;p
    Actually, unlike seemingly most people, I have no problem with the Ewoks... apart from them taking on and beating the Imperial forces that were supposed to be kinda elite, but then so did everyone in the original movies. Which isn't a surprise seeing as apparently their armour was made of paper or something.

But to not go completely off-topic; in the first game (since sadly she isn't in the second :( ) I always pick up Branwen, at least until I get Viconia. I love most everything about her though I am very disappointed she doesn't react to Tranzig or how I let her chunk him into tiny little foe-sized bits.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @booinyoureyes, I wish I could click all three approval buttons for that Star Wars parallels post! :D

I've always thought that the BG Trilogy was Star Wars in the D&D world. Or maybe it was that Star Wars was D&D in a sci-fi world.

Great minds think alike, it seems. ;)
    haha, @belgarathmth
    I always saw Star Wars as more fantasy than Sci-Fi (I actually don't enjoy sci-fi as much as fantasy in general). I think Star Wars and the BG Trilogy are alike in a couple of ways. I like how both have such a love for details that really makes the world (or universe!) come to life. Immersing yourself in both is easy due to the sheer amount of side characters/worlds/locations etc. Also both have the classic hero story, a young person from a humble home destined for great things with a dark heritage that may either bring corruption or great triumph. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, they both manage to have many, many, many lighthearted parts that make the story memorable yet never seem to detract from the gravity of the character's struggles. I can laugh at Threepio whining about falling appart in the middle of Bespin while still being concerned about Luke's showdown with Vader the same way I can chuckle at Minsc's escape from his cell while still hating Irenicus for killing his witch and Khalid. I think that is a sign of classic storytelling that is sometimes overlooked when someone feels the need to make the newest "dark and gritty adventure"
    @Silverstar there is a Branwen mod you might like to try out for BG2. It has a romance option also.

@Silverstar there is a Branwen mod you might like to try out for BG2. It has a romance option also.

!!!

By Tempus' shield!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

@silverstar I never played kotor but i heard good things!
    I like chewbacca. Though he's not my favorite, I think he is a loveable, irreplaceable part of the series.
    Artoo is actually my number one favorite character in the whole franchise by far.
    But then again I'm weird... I kinda enjoy Jar Jar Binks in small quantities and I think Ewoks were the greatest thing... EVER.

I just feel like if Baldur's Gate was Star Wars Artoo=Imoen (small, surprisingly competent and reliable, loyal, there from the start, squeaky voice and good fun) and Minsc=Chewie (both big warm giants with hearts of gold who are loyal and kick butt for goodness)

Other amusing parallels:
    Coran Horn=Han Solo (loveable adventuring rogue)
    Gorion=Obi Wan (wise old dude who dies)
    Firebead Elvenhair=Uncle Ben (irritable yet loving hick who cares for the hero... "its a-hard to find, decent folk nowadays")
    Jaheira=Leia (alpha-female buttkicker who defies the damsel in distress trope)
    Xan=C-3PO (We're all doomed!) Khalid also smacks of threepio a bit
    Nalia=Queen Amidala (young wide-eyed yet competent noble, not afraid to live among the commoners as Padme, etc.)
    Irenicus=Grand Moff Tarkin (confident, despicable jerk who can't help but admire for his incredible presence)
    Keldorn=Admiral Ackbar (Grizzled war veteran, after Firkraag ambush... "its a trap!")
    Sarevok... kinda like Vader in that he has a cool helmet and imposing presence/voice. Anomen would actually be a decent parallel for younger Anakin due to his arrogance and anger problems despite his noble intentions. Also their names sound similar.
    Garrick=Jar Jar Binks (I mean... come on... come on!) maybe Cespenar too (love Cespenar)
    Mae-Var=Jenny Craig version of Jabba (gangsta with a cruel streak)
    Kagain=Watto (Greedy old jerk)
    Kivan might be the closest to Bobba Fett due to his silent badassness
    Yoshimo=Lando Calrissian! (mad swag, unfortunate unwilling betrayal)
    Elminster=Yoda (older teacher-figure, unafraid to hide wisdom behind a facade of senile silliness)
    Tiax=Palpatine because Tiax Rules All!

I think Irenicus should be the Emperor, he is the real master of the arcane/the Force, and he is much more badass, uses others just as tools, has betrayed his own people...
    I think Grand Moff Tarkin should be like Angelo, a badass officer that gets killed (and Tarkin was a real adventuring jerk when he was younger).
    And you've missed some more but I even I can't recall much more.