Skip to content

Do You Know This Science Fiction TV Show?

VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
I apologize for my ADD bi-polarity (jokingly of course, I usually make posts like this when the idea comes to me and I happen to be in front of a computer, even if it is in no way related to any other post I recently made).

I remember some time in 2002-2004, give or take, watching the first episode of a TV series that I believe was on the Sci-Fi channel (before it became all Sy-Fy-y?). I only remember bits and pieces, but it's been one of those annoying things that I just cannot find any trace of on the internet, and it keeps bothering me because I've always wanted to go back and see more of it. Hard to do that if you don't even remember the title, eh?

The setting appeared to be some planet or very remote area, I believe on a beach and there were a lot of people waking up or coming out of a state of unconsciousness. The people ranged from many different time periods, cultures, etc. I specifically remember a young man who was supposed to be a modern day American, another young man who was meant to be a warrior of Rome, a Neanderthal/Caveman sort of guy and a woman (that's all I remember about her, sadly).

I remember the Roman and the American butting heads a bit, sort of bragging to the other about how they come from a powerful country and they were about to get to fighting from what I remember when the Neanderthal/Caveman guy started making forceful advances on the woman, so the Roman and the American grouped up to beat down and murder the Neanderthal/Caveman guy while most of the rest of them (including the woman) watched in silence (and sometimes horror).

I don't remember anything else about it, for years I've tried to find it online to no avail. If anyone has any clue as to what this is, I'd really appreciate being pointed in the right direction :) Thanks!

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    From your description it looks like the TV Movie based on the Riverworld book series of Philip José Farmer. There are several adaptations of the Riveworld books, the one you are looking for should be this one.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    hehe, sounds like the exact same plot as the prog rock concept album by Ayreon called "Into the Electric Castle". Doubt if that is what you are thinking of, but perhaps it might help your search - by looking for fan discussions of the album perhaps? (or give you a nice, though slightly cheesy, soundtrack whilst searching ^^)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yeq8YMPBRCQ
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    @Erg
    I think you might have it! I thought I remembered an astronaut being part of it, but thought I might be confusing it with something else I saw, so I left that out. Same with it being a TV series, obviously confusing it with something else I saw around that time :P

Thanks! Bought the DVD on Amazon now, can't wait for it to arrive and see if I remember anything of it :D

@Aristillius
    Wow, now that is interesting, haha! I might just have to give this a listening too, thank you :)
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    @Erg
    Well, you were 100% correct! Not that I had doubt, just finished watching it a moment ago, it is exactly as I remembered (in the beginning at least!).

The question I have to ask - I briefly looked around for a sequel to this, since it sort of leaves you hanging. I had no luck. Is it safe to assume that it was abandoned?