Skip to content

Armour Restriction

GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
edited January 2014 in General Modding
Short of editing each item file, how do you add an armour restriction to a kit or class?

Comments

• FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    From what I know there are 3 ways to restrict items all of which involve modifying each item individually.

1. Stat restrictions: Allow you to make an armor for a specific character that will make it difficult for others without the proper stats to use.
    2. Race restrictions: As with stats restricts the armor to a specific race when the box is checked.
    3. Class/kit restrictions: Same as race check the box of the specific class and/or kits.

A note from this though is if you use custom kits is that I know of no way to add them into the selection box as I think that is still hardcoded.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    As @FrozenDervish says, all restrictions are item based.. there's no specific effect you can add to a character that will prevent them from wearing certain armours.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    Thanks folks!
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    There are effects that will make impossible the use of some items (the effect used to prevent you from using two Rings of Wizardry), but I really do not know how to select them.
    edited January 2014
    @CrevsDaak Hm.. you are right, that opcode could indeed be added to a character to prevent them from wearing an item. However, it only applies to specific items and not classes, so it'd have to be added separately for each item you wanted to exclude.

Edit: There's even a "disallow item type" opcode (181), but no easy way to use it. According to this thread it might well actually work though. Interesting.
    edited January 2014
    @Shin maybe adding it to the character at it's creation? I've tried something like this once, but by adding it to a spell, it was to make thief unable to use ranged weapons + Poison Weapon active, but I didn't remove the weapons so it could be easily cheated, and it wasn't worth the trouble.
    Also it will be useless for armor restrictions, since there is only a general armor tag and not particular ones, so yeah, it had to be added separately, what should take some time to code, but it could be done.
    edited January 2014
    @CrevsDaak Yes, you could just either use an editor to give the effect to an already created character, or set up the CLAB 2DA to assign it to a certain kit on creation. But to restrict leather armour you'd have to add one effect for every leather armour item file individually (at least 12 files in BG:EE), and then it still wouldn't cover mod-added or altered items, so not a very elegant solution.

Still, a good find that opens up some more possibilities.
    @Shin maybe new armor tags could be created... I've been messing with the IDS a lot lately and they are easy at the end (I'm working in a lvl127 cap, I think I'll use PS:T's table but I am not sure, as I uninstalled PS:T so I'll have to search for them...), maybe adding one for plate armors (I know what @Greener wants to do, so adding that tag should help him).
    @CrevsDaak What kind of tags were you thinking of adding? Theoretically the categories listed here should work for opcode 181, depending on how well and specifically items are categorized ingame.. but it's not a very intuitive edit.
    @Shin I've never looked much onto them, so I was only suspecting it could be changed, now I've learned, good thing I haven't tried editing.