Skip to content

BG1EE and BG2EE suddenly stopped working.

SazrakSazrak Member Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Windows PC (Archive)
I have the steam version of the games. They've been working fine until today. I quit the game yesterday, went to bed, did not restart my computer, but when I tried starting it back up today it suddenly refused to work. Also BG1EE had stopped working.

So I can start the games, and get into the first menu (the one where you choose between SoA, ToB or BP). I can view the credits, quit, or go into the options without crashing. If I attempt to choose between the three game instalments, the screen goes black, freezes and stops responding. This issue is the same for BG1EE, if I try to enter the game or BP then the game crashes. In BG1EE however, I can play the tutorial without it crashing, and from there I can load a save file from the main game and play without any issues. Unfortunately BG2 has no tutorial so I can't use that workaround there.

I've tried reinstalling the game, deleting all traces of the game (including saves/overrides etc), reinstalling elements like OpenAL. I've tried running it in all compatibility modes and as an administrator. It does not matter whether it is running in windowed or full screen. All my drivers are up to date. I did not change anything between the time when it worked and the time when it did not. I am running windows 7.

Comments

• SazrakSazrak Member Posts: 2
    Okay, so right after I posted this I decided that it might be something to do with the movie files not loading properly, since the tutorial was working and that doesn't load any movie transitions. So I tried going into BGII under /movies and deleting everything. It seems to be working now, but obviously it does take away from the game and is a suboptimal solution.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You can get them back with "Verify Game Cache", to see if it was just a problem with the installation.