Skip to content

possible bug?

earlier i attempted to pickpocket some scrolls from the one time merchant in the city gates district but for some reason after picking one scroll it wouldnt allow me to steal any more. the box greyed out, is this a bug or has it always beenlike this?

Comments

• victory_rosevictory_rose Member Posts: 72
    Maybe a silly question, but have you actually tried to select the scroll (or anything else) to steal it - I believe that when you're stealing, once you have stolen something worth more than the available money you have (accumulatively?), everything get's greyed out, but you can still steal it. Of course this could also be a bug - not like those don't exist. ;)
  • ajisgod321ajisgod321 Member Posts: 58
    yeah i tried to click on several different items i reloaded a few times and each time the merchants clothes and text changed color and each time it changed it would alternate between one and two stolen items before greying the rest out. money isnt an issue i have over 100000 gold currently
    Again, maybe silly question, but why do you need to steal from that merchant - his stuff is rather mediocre as far as I remember, and other merchants have the same stuff and don't disappear after the first conversation/buy, so eminently easier to steal from?
    the 5 scrolls i wanted from him cost a little over 10000 gold first off and second i dont need to i was just curious. heres a silly question for you, why do you feel compelled to keep answering if you dont have an answer? lol what does it matter why i am doing it? i am merely pointing out there is a possible bug
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I stole every single scroll off him purely for the exp :)
  • RingoRingo Member Posts: 39
    The 'steal' button gets greyed out if the amount of items you want to steal doesn't fit in your inventory. If it didn't you'd look pretty silly when you accidentally drop the scrolls in front of the merchant :/
    Could that be it in your case?
    no its not
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The way the game currently works (at least for me) the steal button is only greyed out whenever there are no items selected in the shops inventory. Even if your own inventory is full. If the steal button won't change from being grey then that sounds like a bug. Do you have any mods installed?

the 5 scrolls i wanted from him cost a little over 10000 gold first off and second i dont need to i was just curious. heres a silly question for you, why do you feel compelled to keep answering if you dont have an answer? lol what does it matter why i am doing it? i am merely pointing out there is a possible bug

Sorry, I made the (probably incorrect) assumption that you might not be too experienced, and that you maybe hadn't tried what I suggested in the first response. Never make assumptions.

The second response was admittedly inane. Sorry about that (I thought I had included a smiley, but it was still inane). I don't have an answer, except to reload an earlier save to see if this happens again, in which case it's probably a bug (I did successfully steal from this merchant fairly recently (just because I was leaving Athkatla and still had active increased pickpocket from previously quaffed thief potions), so this situation is new to me). ;)
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    In every playthrough I stole from him many scrolls without any problems.
    He is one of the favourite victims of my thief, because he "sells" lower resistance scroll (quite rare in the fist part of the game).
    I only need 5 spells from him at the time so I made it work without apending too much cash. Im surw it is a bug. And no im inexperienced ive played bg since the 90s although it has been a while.