Skip to content

Classes and how useful they are?

MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
I don't know if anyone will comment, but I hope this does start up a discussion. I was wondering what classes people prefer and which ones work well, I would like to try something different in Baldurs Gate?

when I was new to the game I always used to play as thief as I always wanted to get loads of money so I could buy awesome items for my other party members, as I learned the game I think I completed the game first with a ranger, then a mage and then an Illusionist/thief

I also wanted to know how Druids are viable? I also wanted to use a shapeshifter (Werewolf) as I have mentioned before wondering wether they will be fixed and have the correct abilities and resistances.

Ultimatley id like to know peoples experiences with the different classes and how they rule the battlefield I am more of a mage, but I want to know what people think.
Post edited by Tanthalas on

Comments

• ThemightyTiaxThemightyTiax Member Posts: 6
    first of all I'd like to point out something that most people use as a solo character but in a group setting can be EXTREMELY powerful! Multiclass Ranger/Cleric!!! two weapon fighting AND druidic and Cleric spells? YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!! lol dual wielding some of those awesome flails or maces in the game surely can own.

Also the Bard Blade is one of my favorites, I usually make my PC one because Haer'Daelis wastes points on short swords! but the ability to use scrolls and have mirror image and stoneskin almost 100% upkeep while spinning as a whirling dervish of death? I would argue that a Blade is the best damage dealer and the best tank in the game. once you get an item with freedom of movement of course.

Druids have always been "meh" to me, I've never felt powerful playing one and I always ditch Cernd, and only use Jaheira for the quests and banter.

I REALLY hope they fix the 20% resist bug with werewolves, would really like to play as one.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I honestly think that you shouldn't be able to use the Ring of Free action to bypass the movement restriction effect of Defensive Spin. It makes no sense.
  • BellBell Member Posts: 3
    If you want to beat the game on Insane...totemic druid. The spirit summons will save you countless times.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Tanthalas said:

I honestly think that you shouldn't be able to use the Ring of Free action to bypass the movement restriction effect of Defensive Spin. It makes no sense.

I think it does make sense. Defensive Spin roots you in place, while the ring of free action allows you to move freely
    @smeagolheart

But its not a magical effect. Defensive spin is just a battle technique used by Blades.
    @Tanthalas Normally when the blade does a defensive spin he must be rooted in place to do it but with the effect of the ring of the free action / spell / potion the magic lets him achieve the same technique while in motion.
    @smeagolheart

Yeah, but my argument is that the Defensive spin gives you those defensive bonus because you are rooted in one spot.

The Blade doesn't remain rooted in one spot because he wants to, its just the only way he can adopt that stance.
    @Tanthalas I do see your point clearly.

Anyway, I imagine the guy is rooted in one place and through magic he can maintain that rootedness while moving. Almost like Telekinesis of himself basically.

Anyway, I got nothing more on this, Tanthalas maybe you are right.

I don't want to use this card but this is a game about magic with dragons and time stopping and what have you so this isn't the most unrealistic thing in the game and it doesn't bother me though I could see how it could bother others.

Maybe someone else has some relevant arguments but that's about all I got.

@smeagolheart

I'm not sure if any of the fix packs or tweak packs ever addressed this, so its very likely that no one ever cared about it.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    edited August 2012
    @smeagolheart

@Tanthalas Normally when the blade does a defensive spin he must be rooted in place to do it but with the effect of the ring of the free action / spell / potion the magic lets him achieve the same technique while in motion.

The spins aren't spells, they are fighting techniques. While spinning defensively, the Blade is willingly staying in one place because that's part of the technique.

Free Action releases you of hostile magical effects that, at least in theory, affected you against your will.

Actually, the Blade should never have been locked in place, he be able to stop spinning whenver he wants to, but the game mechanics failed to transpire the actual story, giving the impression that the Blade is 'trapped'.

I myself consider Defensive Spin + Free Action gamey, that's why I stopped doing it before long.

As for the thread's contents, I'm wondering about Cleric/Mages - I never brought Aerie into the endgame and was curious how the Cleric/Mage stands if you focus on spellcasting as opposed to melee (which seems to be the most common strategy).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @smeagolheart
    @Tanthalas is pointing out that it shouldn't work the way that it currently does; not that it doesn't currently work that way.
    I know it does work that way. I know Tanthalas is saying it shouldn't.
    I just noticed that this topic would be better in the General board.
    Then...I'm confused. Are you saying it makes sense?

To me, it's kind of like a dual-classed Kensai/Thief who gets Use Any Item. It kind of changes the flavor and intent of the class.

As for my own preferences...it actually depends on whether we're talking BG1 or BG2. For BG1, the need for ranged weapons is strong enough in the early game that I usually prefer the Archer kit. For BG2, I typically choose Kensai, although I've only ever beaten the game with a mage or sorcerer.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I'm partial to the classics: two Fighters, two Mages, a Thief and a Cleric. Well-rounded, each with a specific function, and without the restrictions of dual/multi-classing. :)
    My party's pretty similar to that. Except that I usually end up (in BG2) with:
    Minsc
    Aerie
    Jaheira
    Jan
    Valygar
    CharName

Having two half-classed clerics and two half-classed mages helps a lot with party versatility, and having three melee-capable characters who are also solid ranged weapon users helps too. It also, incidentally, means that I can make my protagonist whatever I like, without worrying about missing a role in the party's dynamic. (All told, Minsc probably isn't the best choice for a melee tank character, especially when Valygar and Mazzy have such an interesting relationship; but I find it difficult to let the poor guy loose...)
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    My favorite class is the blade due to getting the best from all worlds from the get-go. He gets wizard spell casting, thief leveling speed, offensive and defensive spin for more protection and offense, gets access to all weapon types and styles, has decent thac0 progression and when he gets high enough level can lay traps and use any item. This class is literally the most powerful with no effort needed.

Now druids on the other hand are strong early, fall off in SoA and rise to power again in ToB all this is due to their mediocre spell selection and horrible experience progression.
  • sirseorsirseor Member Posts: 19
    I almost always play a Bard or thief/x. To me, it makes the most sense for the story. Gorion presumably gave the character some training in self defense, I hope he hadn't assumed that the spawn of murder could go his whole life peacefully. (so a fairly flexible class). Although probably not a barbarian/necromancer or something that would deliberately encourage open violence and murder.
    His 'little sister' is Imoen, a cheerful thief. (So some rogue skills probably from hanging with her.)
    And they live in Candlekeep, A virtual hall of wizards. (So a bit of arcane knowledge, Imoen even becomes a mage later.)

So the Charname has a flexible set of skills, knows the shady side of things, and may have some magical knowledge?

Charname is a bard or thief/x.
    Besides, I imagine charname gets a small ecstatic thrill every time he backstabs someone. (spawn of murder and all) So that leans towards the thief road. (or maybe ranger/stalker, that might fit the above bill too)
    Several people have already pointed out the value of Bard/blades. So I will point out the insane power of back stabs, especially come SoA. As well as the incredible utilitarian value of traps, de-trapping, lock-picking, and detect illusion. And especially with a fighter thief, can still do some decent combat.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    Yeah I agree with everyones comments with thief, I used to play illusionist/thief Gnome, its the best mage multiclass as it gets more spells than any other, you can use invisbility and mirror image to get deep into battle and backstab anyone you choose, in baldurs gate 1 the class is anti mage with the dagger of venom. You can set traps and use offensive or buffing spells like haste very flexible.

I am thinking of being a Bard/Blade character. what other Bar kits are worth playing?
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Skald is nice with it's +1 to thac0, but beyond that most bard kits play the same.