Skip to content

I wish you would join forces with the Diablo team!

perinperin Member Posts: 1
Sorry if this isn't the best place to post this, I couldn't find a better place.

I am a great fan of AD&D and all things magical and fantastical.

I only mean to bring constructive criticism to help improve these great platforms we have to work with now.

I think that both Blizzard and Wizards of the Coast have different things that the other needs.

They lack the richness of detail to every piece of equipment, armor, weapon, spell, class, race, monster and every other thing you can think of. It's all quite random, really.

Sorry about this, but you guys lack PLAYABILITY.

Diablo II must be one of the most addictive games ever!
It keeps you playing for hours.
It has an incredible atmosphere created by music, clever narrative, superbly designed, detailed environment and playing continuity that just keeps you interested and completely engrossed.

Diablo III has made many of the improvements that I had hoped it would bring.

I honestly think that together, you could make the greatest RPG game ever made - bringing to life the dreams that any proper RPG gamer or D & D fan must have had :)

I would love to see photographs of real armor and weapons on equipment screens, too... Is that so hard ?

I have only seen the screenshots and vids of your new Baldur's Gate, but (with regret) I can't say that I feel enticed to play it.
I do see this as something of a problem for you guys, because I love everything D & D & RPG, so often overlook a lot in games because of the fantasy elements and your game really has (perhaps) the most potential, largely because of the vast amount of written material that you already have.

The detail in the AD & D books has always impressed me and I would really love to see it all come to life in full colour... in HD !

Hopefully this is some kind of help.....

Cheers

Comments

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    I haven't touched D2 in a while. Probably because I got turned off by the army of spam bots that would invade public games if you didn't have the level filter set up properly. Oh, I also didn't like synergies, which actually limits what skills you can do. I hated the barter system, and SoJs. Heck, I've never even seen a SoJ. I doubt that I will ever see a Soj.

Also, I would NEVER want Blizzard to touch Baldur's Gate. For some reason, I can just see Charname pulling an Arthas, and end up being a bad guy in an MMO called "World of Baldur's Gate". Sorry, I couldn't help myself. *dies via fire and acid.* Blizzard just hasn't been the same since the Wrath of the Lich King expansion.

Also, I agree with @elminster, Baldur's Gate, and Baldur's Gate 2 has plenty of playability.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    First of all, Diablo games aren't rpg. They are just hack n' slash games with an rpg elements. Just because people from gaming industry are too stupid to recall that role-playing games ought to contain role-playing doesn't mean that you can just call any game with some rpg elements, like leveling characters, an rpg*

Second, this is a material for a mod, not official content. I think these two universes, I mean forgotten relams and Diablo doesn't mix very well - Baldur's Gate is bound to dungeon and dragon rules, while Diablo is not.

That is to say, I enjoy all Diablo games and I don't give a single damn about what people here thinks of it.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Diablo: Action RPG
    Baldur's Gate: Strategy/Adventure RPG

Dark Alliance was a bit more like Diablo.
  • KenethKeneth Member Posts: 57
    I'm not quite sure if this is a troll or a serious post. If Baldur's Gate doesn't "keep you playing for hours", then the problem is clearly that you don't like the genre, not that the game lacks playability. I can play Infinity Engine games for 16+ hours straight, barely taking time to eat, and have done so on numerous occasions in the last 15 years.

I've done the same with Diablo 2, and have modded both D2 and Infinity games extensively, so it's not like I don't have a lot of love for both. I haven't played Diablo 3 past the beta though since the game was pretty horrible. They did just about everything wrong, which is why we now play Path of Exile for free, rather than pay tens of dollars for that pile of dung Blizzard decided to give us.

Companies have changed a lot over the last decade. Blizzard or BioWare aren't what they used to be, and Black Isle is long gone. Wizards of the Coast has changed too, and they've lost a massive amount of customers when they released D&D 4th edition, which, incidentally, was more like Diablo.

tl;dr: We don't want Baldur's Gate to be more like Diablo.
  • StevevdlStevevdl Member Posts: 73
    @Keneth Definetly a troll, If you went to the D3 forums you would see a very toxic environment full of trolls. This person is probably been ignored over there and come here to be fed. Don't feed the trolls.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Not necessarily a troll. Anyway, the combination of the two would not work because they're essentially incompatible. One is a click fest, while the other is a pausable strategy game. We can call it RPG (BG/BG2) all we want, but that isn't the point I'm making (not because BG/BG2 isn't an RPG, but because the click-fest crowd will also call that version an RPG).
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014
    Fuck up if you don't consider HD, both screen shots in the same computer, same setting except for one unavailable in vanilla, the scale UI setting.
    I really find the difference, it looks much better.
    EDIT: Those lines in BG2:ToB always show in this computer because the screen is too big, it works well in my smaller computer where I play vanilla (in this one I only use it to mod/mess).
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Could he be a troll?
    Joined january 10 - last active January 10 - visit 0
    ^___^
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2014
    @perin
    I calculated that I spend around 300+ hours for one character starting from BG1 to ToB.
    Diablo 2 with Lord of Destruction lasted me around... 30 hours? Maybe more?

Also I'm planning another playthrough of the BG Saga. I'm probably not touching Diablo 2 again unless I'm really really REALLY bored.

It's like asking Sony to combine teams with Rockstar to make a Gran Turismo Auto game.
    (...Although that could be badass but not the point!)

@Dee
    Also I would like to add that the BG games are more Tactical RPGs than Strategic. ;)
    Semantics, sure. But strategy is more like building and commanding armies for me. (Total War, Command n Conquer)
    Tactics are all about a small team and controlling them individually in battle. (IE games, Final Fantasy Tactics, Fallout Tactics)

For example XCOM: Enemy Uknown is a Strategy/Tactical game with RPG elements (I think) combining a bit of both.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Archaos Well-observed, you're totally right. The IE games are definitely more Tactical RPG.

All of this isn't to say that one type of RPG is better or worse than the other, of course; they're just markedly different genres.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    To be perfectly honest I'd like BG to be LESS like Diablo, not more. It's already really similar in overall feeling. They need to just go full turn-based, the way DnD is SUPPOSED to be played then give you all the tactical options you're supposed to have available, including being able to fly/levitate or climb and jump from enviroments, etc.

And when you mean the Diablo guys, do you mean Runic Games?

Or do you mean the people who own the Diablo IP?

Cause Blizzard North was canned and moved on to other game studios YEARS ago...nearly 10.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Why raise this thread? This isn't serious at best, a troll at worst. Perin hasn't been active since s/he posted this.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    @meagloth‌ oh, well... just to let us all re-read it and to say:

BAH!