Skip to content

I Need Some Specialized Technical Help for Viconia Romance (Bugged or Broken?) (SPOILER WARNING!!!)

Hello, everyone

Firstly, I hope I am posting this in the correct category. If I have not, my apologies and could you direct me to the right category for this post in future.

Secondly, I seem to have a very unique issue with Viconia's Romance. I've literally spent the last five hours not playing the game and researching a workable solution... other than going back to a really old save. Please note, spoilers are contained below, and this is probably a very technical issue.

Before I reveal the issue, I'd like to provide a backdrop to ensure you have the most pertinent information:

I am playing BG2EE with a male Kensai and have romanced Viconia. I am currently in Chapter 6 and am about to confront Bodhi in the Graveyard District for the final time. I have also completed Watcher's Keep and every single side-mission and my party consists of me (Kensai - Level 26), Dorn, Minsc, Viconia, Imoen and Aerie. I have no mods installed but do have the CluaConsole enabled and am using Enhanced Edition Keeper in order to fix up bugs when they occur (and they have certainly occured.)

Now, to the issue:

When I go confront Bodhi, she does not abduct Viconia. If I recall correctly, in the original game your romance is abducted by Bodhi and turned into a vampire. This means that the romance has concluded appropriately and is ready to be resumed in TOB. When this did not happen, however, it prompted me to check on my romance status via EEKeeper. When I opened EEKeeper I found that the Global Variable script 'ViconiaRomanceActive' had been set to 3 and there was an additional script 'VICONIAROMANCERESET' below it which was set to 2. I'm aware that VRA 3 means that the romance is over but I couldn't remember what could have caused this.

An hour of research into old saves revealed that Viconia died in Watcher's Keep whilst defeating the Demi Lich in the Githyanki encampment. I resurrected her immediately but hadn't thought anything untoward would have happened to the romance as I already had completed all the romance dialogues favorably for it to continue in TOB.

Anyway, I have experience using the command console as well as EEKeeper so I thought, "No big deal! Let me manually adjust the requisite settings and all should be well." Before I post a list of the things I tried, here are the pertinent, comparative values for both saves.

The Current Save (The one I am having an issue with) reads as:

VICONIAROMANCEACTIVE 3
VICONIAROMANCERESET 2
LoveTalk77

The Old Save before Viconia died reads

VICONIAROMANCEACTIVE 2
LOVETALK 77

As you can see, the Current Save indicates that the romance is dead and had to be reset, whilst the other indicates the romance is still alive. To prove this to myself, I loaded the Old Save, exited Watcher's Keep and went to confront Bodhi and the event of Viconia's abduction seemed to trigger just fine.

Armed with the aformentioned information, I though it was going be simple editing the current save. Boy was I wrong. Here is a a list of every variable I've tried:

Using EEKeeper on the Current Save, I:

1) Deleted the script VICONIAROMANCERESET 2, reduced the VICONIAROMANCEACTIVE script from 3 to 2 but same outcome, Viconia still does not get abducted.
2) Reset LoveTalk to 76 on Viconia's Affects profile, set ViconiaRomanceActive to 1 and triggered final love talk but still the same outcome.
3) Reset Lovetalk to 76, dropped ViconiaRomanceActive to 2 but left Viconiaromancereset 2 alone but still same outcome,
4) Reset LoveTalk to 76, Deleted VICONIAROMANCE RESET and reset VICONIAROMANCE ACTIVE to 2, still same outcome

I tried these exact same things using the CluaCommand Console but still the same outcome. As far as I have read, no one has had this type of issue. The only variables that appear different to the old save is the viconiaromancereset 2 script and viconiaromanceactive 3 but editing those appropriately leaves me in the same position.

I know I can just reload the old save, but I really really really don't want to. If in the end I have to, then so be it, but I just needs some help in understanding the reason as to why none of the stuff I am trying is working.

Any help would be most appreciative.

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    SetGlobal("sprite_is_deadviconia","global",0)

The game thinks Viconia is still dead.
    Raphael_Haven
  • Raphael_HavenRaphael_Haven Member Posts: 3
    I thank you very much, Jalily. You have saved me a lot of replay time and, more importantly, helped me understand the problem.

I suspected the game wasn't picking up the romance anymore, but I didn't think that it was because she was dead. Such a strange thing that, as I was still able to level her up and she had some interactions with the other NPCS.

Anyway, checked the particular global variable script you suggested and it indeed revealed that her value was set at 65. By resetting it to 0, the problem appears resolved and she duly gets kidnapped when I go to the Graveyard District.

Will be off to the Lower Tombs to rescue her... once I'm done rescuing myself from real life, of course.

Thanks again!