Skip to content

Stat reduction? *spoilers*

Ok, I just got into the dream world when you get your divine essence taken, and it seems you have you to have a stat point reduction. Is this permanent? If it is, that is kinda BS. Seriously.

Comments

• kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    It's permanent, but you should be able to find one that doesn't really help you. Wisdom and intelligence don't really do anything for most classes. You'll be gaining stat points later anyway, both in the last bit of SoA (well, actually you can lose a single point there as well) and in Watcher's Keep.
  • emporerpantsemporerpants Member Posts: 15
    Ok, that makes me feel a bit better. If my wisdom is 10, will it screw me up much if I take a hit and make it 9?
  • Raphael_HavenRaphael_Haven Member Posts: 3
    Losing 1 point from 10 to 9 won't make a difference at all.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    Most likely it will make no difference at all, and it'll be 10 again if you finish Watcher's Keep.

Wisdom only affects 3 things:

1. Minimum class requirements. If you have 10, I guess you're not a class with a wisdom requirement.
    2. Bonus spells for clerics.
    3. Extremely few conversations (most notably with the genie from the Wish spell), but you can have *any* party member initiate conversation so just pick the one with the best wisdom.

It was originally meant to affect your saving throws as well, but this was never implemented.
  • emporerpantsemporerpants Member Posts: 15
    Alright, thanks guys! I appreciate it. Yeah, I'm a fighter so wisdom will be the way I go.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Wisdom is definitely the safe choice for anyone who isn't a cleric. Intelligence is usually fine for non-mages too, with the caveat that reducing intelligence from 9 to 8 makes a character unable to read scrolls; this though usually isn't relevant to anyone other than Sorcerors (who have no practical primary stat in the game) who accept lower intelligence in order to boost other stats.

Under no circumstances should anyone reduce constitution, strength or dexterity as all classes can benefit from them, with one exception, that being mage/clerics who do need both intelligence and wisdom (in which case, reduce strength as that will benefit you the least). Sadly, the cop-out option of reducing Charisma doesn't exist, but that's because everyone would take that and the choice is supposed to have some practical meaning.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499

Under no circumstances should anyone reduce constitution, strength or dexterity

If only you COULD choose strength, but I guess it's not there on account of lolbelts. Also con above 16 has no effect for some classes, and if charname is one of those I give him 17 con to give one point up to the demon. Lastly if you're soloing an evil charname (or intend to be selfish in hell at any rate) and you don't really care to have 19 dex (it's only +1 ranged THAC0 over 18 dex) you can give it up and regain it in WK.
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    There is actually a cheesy way to avoid that stat loss, but I can't remember exactly how it works. Something to do with quickly running through the door before the stat loss can take place.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited January 2014
    Not sure if it is still doable in EE though.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Can't do it in EE.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The other cheesy way to avoid stat loss was finding out the magic school of the spell that reduced the stat and casting Spell immunity: appropriate school.

I have no idea if this still works, and indeed have never used it.