Skip to content

Aldeth quest in Cloakwood

Hi everybody. This is my 1st post, I've read the rules but considering I'm gonna ask a simple question I'm not sure I should stick to the "expected behaviour/current behaviour" formula.

I've met Aldeth Sashenstar at his shack in Cloakwood but I didn't speak to him right away (in the original game you could pickpocket his sword too if I'm correct, so I wanted to level up my thief before doing the quest). I got back after clearing the mine and discovered he wouldn't give me his quest.
So I've read that you can only take his quest in chapter 4 or earlier, and if you're in ch.5 (after clearing the mines) he just doesn't speak with you. So I'm going to ask: will this be fixed in the next patch? Honestly it's quite a pointless behaviour, since the quest is not connected to the mines in any way.
Since I don't want to be stuck waiting, do you know if just leaving him be will give me access to the Merchant league building and his next quest? That would be ok considering my choice would be to help him and then meet him later. Because otherwise I think I'm gonna lose either his next quest and the fight with his brother (which isn't the way I want to go for btw). Cheers

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited January 2014
    Here's the fix. Put the contents in your 00766\override folder (make it if it doesn't exist).

Note: This will only work for savegames where you have not spoken to Aldeth yet.
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • JaherelJaherel Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2014
    Ok so C:/program files (x86)/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition/Data/00766 and I create an "override" folder and just put the file inside. I'll let you know in a few minutes.

Anyway, I've surely spoken with Aldeth, but reloaded right after. I'm pretty sure I've never saved right afterwards.
    It didn't work :( I'm quite certain I haven't saved after speaking to him, just pickpocketed him.
    It's annoying me because it is one of the quests I care more about because I don't remember doing his second one in Baldur's Gate or meeting his brother when I played the original game. Do you know if there's some other solution?
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    If you are certain that you have't talked to him then perhaps you could temporarily set the chapter to 4 by SetGlobal("Chapter","GLOBAL",4). Once you have completed his quest set the chapter back to 5 SetGlobal("Chapter","GLOBAL",5). I've actually no idea if that works but you could try.
    edited January 2014
    I've tried and did everything correctly but Aldeth just keeps on saying the same line ("I have nothing to say to you" or similar) so it didn't work, argh.
    Post edited by Jaherel on
    So that means you have talked to him previously. So what may work is to kill him then create a new version of Aldeth using C:CreateCreature("Aldeth") Also be sure that the chapter is still set to 4 at this stage.
    Apparently I did, I can also tell because when I speak to him his voice line is not his first one ("Identify yourself"). If I kill him and then (if it works) solve his quest by aiding him, won't there be some kind of conflict? i.e. What do you think it will happen in the city?
    There could be. But we can cross that road later :)
    Ok the trick works, if I create another Aldeth in ch.4 he gives me the mission. Now it has to be seen what the game will recognise: me killing him ar helping him. I could just create a 2nd Aldeth and help him, leaving the other be.
    In any case, thank you guys for helping me out, you've been great!
    edited January 2014
    Actually, leaving the other be is probably a great idea :)

Anyway, have fun :)

P.S Remember to set that chapter back to 5 ;)
    ok guys I've tried it a few times so here it is:

note: surprisingly, whatever you choose, you can do it without setting chapter 4. I did it while in ch.5 and everything went smooth for me.

note: don't kill Aldeth's friends. You wouldn't kill your moderator!

If you want to help Aldeth, spawn a 2nd one like Balquo said, just don't kill any of them. Help this new Aldeth and he will leave. Also notice that after you trigger the mission, the 1st Aldeth (things are getting confusing) will respond to the mission too. That means that you can talk to him too so that both will leave (double xp btw).

If you kill the spare Aldeth either before or after the mission, he will not appear in SW Baldur's Gate.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054