Skip to content

NPCs You Enjoy

Comments

• TheZodiakTheZodiak Member Posts: 33
    Favorite NPCs: I like Edwin most because he is the Sheldon Cooper of Baldurs Gate. My other favorites are Korgan, Minsc, Montaron, Xzar. They are all awesome characters by their funny nature.

Least Favorite NPCs: My least favorite NPCs are Khalid, Aerie, Ajantis, Hear'Dalis, Viconia, Dynaheir, Eldoth, Garrick. Most of the time they have annoying stuff to say.

Favorite Romance: Jaheira because of the story around it and she is one of the females i respect most. Why she has feelings for a stupid boring and stumbling half-elf is still a mystery for me.

Favorite Pair: I can't decide between Xzar and Montaron or Minsc and Boo. I think these are both very good pairs ;-).

Favorite Party BG1: Montaron, Xzar, Edwin, Shar-Teel, Minsc
    Favorite Party BG2: Edwin, Minsc, Imoen, Korgan, Jaheira

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

elminster said:

Gotta say Alora. Having her dual wielding Drizzt's scimitars is just fun :)

Best explanation: Alora pick-pocketed Drizzt!
    Absolutely! Best of luck Drizzt fighting those gnolls bare handed :p
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    I think it really says an awful lot that almost no one even mentioned Cernd. Good voice, but that's it.

My most favorite characters have to be Aerie and Jan. Followed by Keldorn and Mazzy if playing good and Viconia if not.

Minsc is only bearable once. Boy does it get old quickly.

Nalia and Edwin are so annoying that I never take the latter despite his amazing capacities.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Poor Cernd. He's so boring he doesn't even end up on people's least favorite lists. Because honestly, what is there to hate? He's just there, making bad metaphors. Not worth the time to care about.
  • Stasis_SwordStasis_Sword Member Posts: 91
    One new category based on a comment from abacus:
    Which characters have the most interesting personal quests?
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    jackjack said:

@JLee
    Just as an aside, Garrick is not misquoting when he says "Music has charms to soothe the savage breast." In fact, other people have often misquoted it as "beast". :)

Well now don't I feel like an uncultured brute! Thank you for clarifying that. I never know what I'll learn on this board!
    I'll tell you who doesn't have the most interesting quest: Anomen.

Designing a quest so that you can never win is just a pain. It's a total Shaggy Dog Story, to quote TV Tropes. No matter what, you and Anomen are wrong. There's no way to be right on that quest path: he shows mercy, and that guy killed his sister, he kills that guy, and someone else killed his sister. Argh.

Honestly, Dorn, Rasaad, Neera, and Hexett probably have the most interesting personal quests, because they're so long and full of so much stuff to do.
    Nothing in my world is as good as something from Planescape: Torment! Nothing!

Or to be blunt: I like bittersweet. I love bittersweet. But in my heroic fantasy romance (which is, at that point, my only option- Anomen was all gals had for quite a while), I don't need a suddenly bittersweet Shaggy Dog Story inserted inbetween my 'be wooed by arrogant jerk with a heart of gold' quest. It didn't seem to go with Anomen's story. On the other hand, if it was in Valygar or Viconia's story, I'd be all for it, because both of their lives are basically Shaggy Dog Stories. But Anomen? It seemed out of place.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Well, the only characters I can't stand near are Aerie (I ever kill her unless I'm playing good, through I have to use her one day so maybe I change my mind.....) and Minsc, many people love him, BUT I DO NOT!! Mwahaha I'm a hipster (which is a lie since I cannot be Caged, categorized nor controlled), he is like TOO dumb, he is even more Lawful Stupid than Ajantis (a guy I sympathize with) and he cannot control himself.
    Then, my favorites are Jan Jansen, Haer'Dalis, Sarevok (as a NPC from ToB), Neera, Keldorn, Mazzy, Kivan, Coran, Tiax and Xzar.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Boo has better dialogue than Valygar
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251

Boo has better dialogue than Valygar

What about now?
    I'm telling you guys, if you play a female character, download the Romantic Encounters mod at gibberlings3 and install the Valygar romance parts for SOA and TOB. It's quite sweet, and he even grows a personality rather then just being a combination of 'magic bad rawr' 'i r godless ranger wee'! It's an amazing transformation.

Of course, if you're male, you're still SOL. Hm. Valygar friendship mod?

...Everyone needs a friendship mod, says I. Especially Boo.

(Especially Cernd. Oh, Cernd.)
    @booinyoureyes
    I always picture him as a crotchety old man who, if I let him, would spend the entire game guilting me into doing free chores for him, despite the fact that he's clearly capable of getting around on his own. One of my favorite NPCs.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

Firebead Elvenhair (you dyslexic raccoon!)

... how did I get his name wrong? I feel ashamed now. I'm like the worst Baldur's Gate fan ever :'(

*sits shamefully in corner*
    I actually rather like the name Elvenbead Firehair…
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I always feel a little bad when Firebead gives me that book and says he thinks I'll enjoy it, because we all know I'm going to stuff it in the nearest crate as soon as I leave his house. If I'm in a hurry I just drop it right then and there... whoops, slipped through my fingers... anyways, gotta go!
    jackjack said:

I actually rather like the name Elvenbead Firehair…

No, cuz then he'd be a ginger and therefore Chaotic Evil
    nano said:

I always feel a little bad when Firebead gives me that book and says he thinks I'll enjoy it, because we all know I'm going to stuff it in the nearest crate as soon as I leave his house. If I'm in a hurry I just drop it right then and there... whoops, slipped through my fingers... anyways, gotta go!

You mean you don't have a scroll case dedicated solely toward your book collection?
    I always wanted to spend a couple hours reading them all in order just to get a better idea about the world, but it's just too daunting a task and hard to find the time for.
    I had posted once that if you collect enough books you should get some bonuses to your lore score. I think its a fun idea, and a good way to make a part of the game that is often overlooked pretty interesting. Now, only if the game could somehow know that you actually read them... o.0 Helm sees all
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959

Now, only if the game could somehow know that you actually read them... o.0 Helm sees all

@booinyoureyes

Easy... closed book tests! Random questions about lore from any of the books you claimed to have read. If you get it right, you gain lore, if you get it wrong, you suffer Helm's wrath for trying to deceive him. Maybe a lightning bolt. :P

Earth kids have it easy when it comes to exams.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    In BG1, I don't really have any great favourites. Generally, I stick with the canon party, since they're convenient to get and relatively powerful.

BG2 though... OK, yeah. First up, Aerie. She's adorable and I really like her romance. I think it's the epitome of sweet. Less fond of the ToB segment, but it's still as fairytale as romances go.

Yes, she has issues. But if you get tired of hearing about those issues, then you brought it on yourself. You get tons of opportunities to tell her that you aren't terribly interested in her lifestory and issues. Probably my favourite NPC, and one of the earliest ones that I pick up.

Then there's Jan. For me, a playthrough just isn't complete without Jan. His personal quest is one of the more... gritty ones, in a terribly realistic fashion. The fact that he can get Thief HLA's just makes him even better.

Viconia is up next. Honestly, I really like her character most of the time (Except in her really, really asshole-ish moments). She's got interesting stats and racial abilities, she's a really good cleric and her romance is great. If it wasn't for that terrible, terrible epilogue to her romance quest, she'd be on the same tier as Aerie for me.

Then there's Valygar, who I know many people find dull. I mainly think he's pretty cool because of how he utterly RIPS into the elves when you find out about Irenicus. He also get's a few nice lines in ToB, especially if you've romanced Aerie. On top of that, he's a formidable melee bruiser with a healthy collection of spells.

Sarevok always get's a spot. He's basically the most horrifically powerful fighter in the game without any magical assistance, barring a very powerful CHARNAME. His Cain and Abel schtick with CHARNAME is great, and I like the way that they almost do feel like brothers towards the very end.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632

nano said:

You mean you don't have a scroll case dedicated solely toward your book collection?
    I always wanted to spend a couple hours reading them all in order just to get a better idea about the world, but it's just too daunting a task and hard to find the time for.
    I had posted once that if you collect enough books you should get some bonuses to your lore score. I think its a fun idea, and a good way to make a part of the game that is often overlooked pretty interesting. Now, only if the game could somehow know that you actually read them... o.0 Helm sees all
    yeah, that was a neat idea. It'd be cool if reading the books opened up some new conversation options as well... like reading up on Helm and having sufficient wisdom/cha might let you talk your way out of what happens at Windspear Hills. When I played Morrowind I read all the lore books and some of them were really interesting! I've only read a couple of the BG ones, mostly the ones that seemed relevant to my quest.
    edited January 2014

I thought I was the only one to do this! I should have known better.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

I've actually read a... I'm not going to say majority, but a big amount of the books in BG. Also Morrowind. Unlike my brother though who actually can claim to have read the majority of the books in both games. The library and book store in Vivec was a freaking treasure trove to him :P
  • Stasis_SwordStasis_Sword Member Posts: 91

I've actually read a... I'm not going to say majority, but a big amount of the books in BG. Also Morrowind. Unlike my brother though who actually can claim to have read the majority of the books in both games. The library and book store in Vivec was a freaking treasure trove to him :P
    Finding the books in Morrowind and reading them in game is a pain, but someone exported them all to FAQ. I remember reading through them one summer and they were pretty fun/interesting short stories. One of my favorite ended: "Finding a body in the water in Vivec was not in itself noteworthy, but the subject that they discussed over many bottles of flin was how did it happen that he drowned with two potions of water breathing in his hands."
  • BlueSorceressBlueSorceress Member Posts: 84
    So, first things first...

YOU CAN PUT BOOKS IN SCROLL CASES!?!

On topic:

The NPCs I enjoy the most are Khalid, Branwen, Ajantis and Xan in BG, and Keldorn, Haer'Dalis and Yoshimo in SoA. I also the enjoy Sarevok. Of the Enhanced NPCs, I most enjoy Rasaad and Baeloth.

And even if I'm the only one, I will admit to sort of enjoying Cernd. I like to leave him shapeshifted when I go into towns and pretend that the reason why everyone pays no attention to the fact that there's a naked werewolf in my party is that he's just that uninteresting. He's the most boring werewolf ever, and that's what's great about him.

-Blue