Skip to content

Ô the crazy things we do...

...mostly with EE Keeper.

Or Shadowkeeper, back in the day.

As in...

I always, always, always change Imoen back into a pure thief after Spellhold. My thief up to that point is always Yoshimo, and it seems elegant, thief out, thief in. I feel as though my gaming experience with BG would change radically if there were anything else in the game, anything at all--a familiar, whatever--capable of finding and disarming traps. (I positively despise the fact that there is an indispensable class in this game, but that's another story.)

For some bizarre reason I almost always give my mage/sorcerer PCs grandmastery in darts. They almost never actually throw darts, of course, and certainly not the awesome ones, but for some reason this seems important to me. Probably just to give them something to do when the encounter's already won but I don't want to waste spells on a foregone conclusion.

I've never taken Jan or Haer' Dalis into my group. I almost always turn off AI in Irenicus's dungeon when a stealthed Imoen decides to start shooting arrows at some friggin mephit (and we can't have that), and they seem to me to require the most micromanagement.

And lastly, I started not a solo, but a duo, two wild mages, PC and Neera. And because I couldn't handle 60% of the game not dealing with traps, I made the PC a half elf dual thief (maxed find traps, no other thieving skills...though it was pretty cool that I could kit him out with long swords, but anyway). There's genuine pleasure in the unpredictability of a wild mage PC that's only doubled when there are two of them.

So...funky ways you manipulate your game, let's hear 'em...

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Multi/Dual classed kits!

Also like to change some characters to better fit my perception of them:
    -Aerie gets Abjuration as a magic school, since she seems the protective type ("I... won't let my friends be hurt!")
    -Garrick becomes a jester (I think its funny to pretend he's completely aware of how annoying other characters, particularly evil folk like Edwin or Kagain, find him and he just hams it up for their "benefit")
    -Imoen gets Illusionist as a magic school, since it fits her thief original class really well. She also gets points redistributed to pickpocket.
    -Anomen becomes a Priest of Helm if he passes his test, whereas if he fails his fighter levels become Berserker levels (judging by the way he flips out on Keldorn and Aerie)
    -Montaron becomes a pure Assassin kit and Safana becomes a Swashbuckler
    -Ajantis becomes an Inquisitor since he was Keldorn's squire
    -I've never done this before, but I'm contemplating changing Valygar to a Wizard Slayer kit due to his hatred of magic. The kit sucks though, so I may also just give him Inquisitor like True Sight and a Dispel Magic special ability at his character level +3 (not double like Keldorn gets, too OP)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Just rolled up a dwarven Wild Mage/Cleric (using BG2Tweaks to remove racial class restrictions). As I understand wild surges will also apply to the clerical spells too. Should be interesting...
  • TidusTidus Member Posts: 86
    I usually mod appearances:
    charname inquisitor -> human thief donning Armor of Faith+3
    neera -> human mage wearing Robe of Goodman Hayes
    jaheira -> human cleric with Studded Leather of Thorns
    keldorn -> human cleric (I also copy his main color and paste it to the secondary slot)
    jan -> halfling thief
    hear'dalis -> elf thief with Aslyferund Elven Chain+5
    viconia -> elf thief with Dark Elven Chain

and, also:
    imoen -> invoker kit
    jaheira -> avenger kit
    minsc -> babarian rage

I don't bother with the others.
    charname is currently at level 16, and since he refuses to loot homes, use magic items that stand remotely evil (so no Ring of Gaxx), turn into Slayer/Ravager form or exploit Bhaalspawn powers, if he feels underwhelming by the end of SoA I might drop a few of his Dispels and True Sight abilities and grant him a few priest spells to counter (though I strongly doubt it will happen).
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    decado said:

Just rolled up a dwarven Wild Mage/Cleric (using BG2Tweaks to remove racial class restrictions). As I understand wild surges will also apply to the clerical spells too. Should be interesting...

I am running a cleric/wild mage and it it a heck of a lot of fun. Wild surges do indeed affect priest spells.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @Tidus lol, I just gave Throne of Bhaal Sarevok his huge BG1 "Armored Figure" look