Skip to content

Lone Wolf Gamebook Series

IsandirIsandir Member Posts: 458
I'm curious to see if there are any other fans of these wonderful CYOA books by Joe Dever. I began reading them when I was a child, beginning with #8: The Jungle of Terror, which my mother bought for me at a garage/rummage sale. After reading through the next one, I jumped back to the beginning and worked my way forward.

Though I've read other gamebooks, none seemed to have the depth and creativity that the Lone Wolf series had. I particular I loved the Kai skills and diverse choices that they allowed. My favorite books in the series--including The Kingdoms of Terror and The Dungeons of Torgar--even had diverse paths that were completely independent of one another.

I've been enthusiastic about the books again for a few different reasons:

1 - Project Aon worked for years to put all of the books in the series online, meaning you can read straight through to the New Order series (which I still haven't done).
2 - An awesome guy by the name of David Olsen made an amazing program called Seventh Sense that runs the entire Kai and Magnakai series through an interactive program that tracks everything for you! It's free, offers different versions to play (core book rules, etc.) and he's currently working on the Grandmaster series.
3 - The game company Forge Reply is releasing a series of e-book/RPG hybrids, and the first one (Blood on the Snow) is already available.
4 - Three books in the New Order series have yet to be released, and it's still possible that they may be published.
5 - The film company Convergence Entertainment optioned the rights for a Lone Wolf film. Unlikely to happen, but you can always dream...

If you've never read the Lone Wolf books before, I'd highly recommend checking out the links above. They're not necessarily the best-written books or as complex as CRPGs, but they are a lot of fun.

Comments

• fooflamfinnfooflamfinn Member Posts: 18
    I read these ages ago, though I never finished the series. I agree with you that they were a lot of fun to play, especially for someone who was a big fan of the Choose Your Own Adventure series.

I've been tempted to get the game for my Nexus 7, but keep reading that the combat is atrocious.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I haven't read any Lonewolf books, but I used to love RPG gamebooks when I was younger, and read several Fighting Fantasy gamebooks that totally captured my imagination.

"The Tower of Destruction" and "Caverns of the Snow Witch" are the two I remember vividly. I found them really difficult (cos even back then I was a no-reloader, lol), both in terms of combat, and also all the puzzles you need to solve to get to the end. I was quite young at the time, so maybe my memory of difficulty isn't quite reliable, but I felt a huge sense of achievement each time I successfully completed the book.

Having done that, I then would go over the book again to check out the other options that I didn't choose, to satisfy my curiosity to see if there were other paths to victory.
  • ShelleyRachelShelleyRachel Member Posts: 1
    Well, As far as Lonewolf books concern they really carry the shape in a decent flow. That is why the book it self creates a hype among the readers.

I remember having one of those books where you have to choose everything, I've read it thousand times, I think I got all the endings.
    I do not remember the author/publisher/whatever of this book (and I cannot check since I am not home), but I've read it in spanish and I think it was originally written in english.