Skip to content

examining areas in BG2

just got the game for ipad and had a question. Using the computer when you would mouse over a area that had some information the cursor would turn into a "?" icon. On the ipad, of course there is no cursor so you dont get a icon...so you kinda have to just touch a area you think may hold some information...only problem is if the area you touch does not hold any informaion..your party will of course move to that area..thus triggering any traps/encounters near there. Am I missing something??

Comments

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602

just got the game for ipad and had a question. Using the computer when you would mouse over a area that had some information the cursor would turn into a "?" icon. On the ipad, of course there is no cursor so you dont get a icon...so you kinda have to just touch a area you think may hold some information...only problem is if the area you touch does not hold any informaion..your party will of course move to that area..thus triggering any traps/encounters near there. Am I missing something??

Yes you're missing something. :)
    There's a question mark icon on the right side of the screen.
    Touch that, and it'll highlight any object and doorway you can interact with.
  • nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    This will actually not cover all areas that have a tooltip. Unfortunately I think it may be quite difficult for someone who hasn't played BG2EE on the desktop to discover some of the items that can be interacted with.
    nsr said:

This will actually not cover all areas that have a tooltip. Unfortunately I think it may be quite difficult for someone who hasn't played BG2EE on the desktop to discover some of the items that can be interacted with.

What areas doesn't it cover?
  • LiamEslerLiamEsler Member Posts: 1,859
    edited January 2014
    @nsr I'm fairly sure it detects everything now (including travel regions, activate regions and info regions).

Edit: On second thought, I'm not sure if that functionality is in yet: it's definitely something we were working on. I'll have to find out.
    Post edited by LiamEsler on
    Yeah, I haven't noticed anything missing. Works like a charm.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    It must be something you're working on, because now it doesn't work :)
    Pibaro said:

What on earth are you talking about?
    It works just fine...

Here's a quick screenshot I took.
    It's right at the beginning if the game, and every door is highlighted:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3924/hglb.jpg
    I mistakenly wrote you had to press the question mark.
    That was wrong, it's not a question mark, it's a magnifying glass icon.

Sorry about that.
  • AimonAimon Member Posts: 6
    I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that LeonDeGamme was referring to specific spots that do not highlight when you press the magnifying glass, like for example the pools of water where you can see moments in time in the beginning, or places where there's a switch or lever you must pull. I must admit that sometimes it's a bit tricky to find those spots, with only memories of having played the game before to help me along.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Bytebrain said:

Pibaro said:

What on earth are you talking about?
    It works just fine...
    As Aimon said, it's true that Doors and containers are correctly highlighted, but the problem is that switch or something like that aren't highlighted. In a PC if your mouse goes over one of theese things you'll notice that there's something odd there, but in the iPad versione there's no way to see those things.
    It has been mentioned many times, and it's a big deal especially in BG2 where there are a lot of things like that.
    As an example you could try with the genie lamp in Irenicus Dungeon, or all the columns in second level, the ones that change keys to wands (but there are plenty of other switch less easy to spot later in the game).
    It looks like we'll be adding that functionality in a future patch.
  • AimonAimon Member Posts: 6
    LiamEsler said:

It looks like we'll be adding that functionality in a future patch.

Cool! Thanks for the info, and thanks to the whole team for the continued improvements to the games!

Regards.

• LeonDeGammeLeonDeGamme Member Posts: 32
    great news & great job!!
  • nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    Great news! I noticed that sometimes when I press the hint button, the floating names don't show up. This persists until I go to another map. Has this issue been fixed as well?
  • NimhNimh Member Posts: 1
    Great news? This is such a core feature of the game, examining the environment for story and environment descriptions. How was this omitted? How did you make BG1EE for iPad without this feature, did you even play Baldur's Gate before developing this? This is just sad that you never considered this and it took a forum post to bring it to your attention.
    edited January 2014
    @Nimh It's been in development for ages, far before it ever came up on the forum; the problem is the Infinity Engine is limited in a lot of respects, and things like this are actually far, far more difficult than you'd expect.