Skip to content

Is the game easier than the original?

I just killed Lavok at level 9 with a couple of breachs and simple attacks. He just used power word stun before i killed him. I remember him more difficult :-?

Have seen the same in other fights such as the shadow dragon. Is the game easier or is it just me?

Comments

• MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    Well, maybe it seems easier because you already have knowledge of the gameplay and what to expect from the game itself - what works better to kill that monster, which spell you need to counteract, say, Dominion, what tactic works best against that particular foe, which items protects against that attack etc.
    If you feel the game is too easy, I would suggest to install SCS: improves the AI of several monsters and battles could be really tough. I'm doing ToB atm with SCS installed and every freaking encounter is seriously life-threatening to the entire party. Alternatively, scroll up the difficulty bar in the Game Options.
    Enjoy
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    No, hasn't been made easier.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Well, when mods are easily installed on the ipad version I will try it :-)
  • FrondFrond Member Posts: 121
    I felt the same way at first. Then I installed SCS and wow... big difference and so much fun.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Bg1: Slightly easier if you pick some of the powerful kits
    Bg2: Not really. I guess if you gain a bit of extra experience from the new npc quests, but even so, the new quests aren't particularly good "levelling" quests, and are probably harder than most of the act 2 dungeons. Dorn's is pretty easy but the rest not so much.
  • broonofmidoribroonofmidori Member Posts: 32
    I agree with Frond, SCS spices it up again. When the first 2 assassins in Candlekeep use their poisons weapons or when the strategy of 'shoot the mage with arrows before he casts or run up and hit him in the face before he casts something' no longer works lol.
  • TedronaiTedronai Member Posts: 20
    I thought Neera's SoA quest was pretty challenging with all those mages. Then again, I did her quest fairly early in Chapter 2.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    I agree with ajwz, BG1 is MUCH easier due to kits (berserker, assassin, blackguard,...).
    For BG2 i don't see any difference. The only thing is that our knowledge of the game is much better.

I can tell you that when i get suprised by the game, it's still very difficult : I just got killed in a solo sorceror run by a small spider in the catacomb (5 poison damage per tick kills you VERY quickly).
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    edited January 2014
    BG1 is easier due to kits, but the same is true of BGTutu. There's no real difference in BG2, except maybe having more NPCs for a no-reload run if you're into that.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Speaking of the new NPC quests: when I got to the library with Hexxat, the encounter with those four mages (three of which I had to fight) was *incredibly* difficult. Probably the trickiest fight I've had in the whole game, and I'm in TOB now. Of course you have to consider my level at the time (don't remember, really), but that really was one tough fight.
  • ZeratulZeratul Member Posts: 575
    @xzar_monty protection from electricity = all dead mages deads

oh and also you can trick them via speech into attacking each others.
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    Having an archer in BG1 made it an absolute cakewalk, since you are getting a THAC0 bonus to something that already has a really low THAC0. My character's THAC0 now is -18 at level 19, just to give an idea.

BG2 is pretty much identical. Perhaps a little easier because as people have said you already know what's coming, but definitely no different from how it was otherwise.