Skip to content

Vynd, drow assassin NPC now available for BG:EE, Tutu and Trilogy.

Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
edited September 2014 in General Modding

VYND

“Why leave? Because in the Underdark, there are mind flayers, beholders and aboleths. Up here, there are sheep. And trees. So I weighed things up and I thought, you know what? How bad could a little sunburn possibly be?”

New download link here, or check out his forum.

Burning Wizard Inn, Beregost.

STATS

Str: 16
Dex: 19
Con: 15
Int: 16
Wis: 10
Cha: 11
Race: Elf (Drow)
Class: Assassin
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Proficiencies: Long Sword, Dart

BIOGRAPHY

"When asked about his past, Vynd wonders aloud how you'd feel if some nosy bastard you barely know asked for your life story. You've pieced together that he's not new to the surface world, and he left the Underdark by choice. Beyond that, he remains a mystery. A snide, abrasive mystery."

Vynd is found in Beregost looking for work, and seems to consider his presence on the surface a non-issue. He is unashamedly self-interested, with a sometimes acidic, sometimes childish, but always relentless sense of humour.

FEATURES

Vynd includes banters with all Bioware NPCs, numerous interjections, a friendship track, and a soundset kindly provided by Icewind Dale.

Player-initiated dialogue becomes available after the first timed friendship talk. However, not all dialogue options appear right at the beginning. More conversations are unlocked as the friendship track progresses, so be sure to check back!

Sick of reputation management? No worries. Vynd knows that being liked has advantages. Though evil in alignment, he'll stick with you no matter how popular you are, and fits right in with a good-aligned party. Unless it includes Kivan. Be warned. Sadly, this feature is not currently compatible with Enhanced Edition.

Huge thanks to G3 for providing this jerk with a home, to Kulyok for her Branwen BG2 NPC tutorial, to cmorgan for crossplatform code, and to everyone else who's made BG:EE compatible mods. Couldn't have made sense of this mess without you.
Post edited by Glam_Vrock on
CrevsDaakBlackravensine_locoSylvus_MoonbowOxvaNonnahswriterrufus_hobartJuliusBorisovshawneGrabtharsHammerGoturalkaguanaGenderNihilismGirdleYamchaSssiksseilor[Deleted User]AaeightThrasymachus

Comments

• chrstnmonkschrstnmonks Member Posts: 176
    has this came out yet
    okay thanks
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Great!
  • Fina92Fina92 Member Posts: 284
    Is it a romance mod??
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    JosefineS said:

Is it a romance mod??

Hopefully not.

• BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
    how would you imstall this for the EE games?
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    I really don't know. They apologised and said they'd been busy, but hot damn, I just realised it's been about two weeks now.

I suppose I can stick it up on Mediafire in the meantime, if people want it. Readme's going to have some broken links, though.
  • wolpakwolpak Member Posts: 390
    Can't you just post it here?
    Alright, here it is. Unzip to your game folder and run setup-vynd.exe. Check the readme contained in the Vynd folder for additional info.

As this is an "unofficial" release, please do not direct questions to the G3 forums. Hopefully we'll be up and running over there soon enough.
  • StevevdlStevevdl Member Posts: 73
    In case you are interested Vynd takes off as soon as you hit 19 reputation.
    Wise_Grimwald
    Huh. I could swear I got that working. Not a single one of my testers reported it either, so they're all fired.

What exactly happens? He just leaves? If you're getting a specific "Your rep's too high, I'm out" line, your mod may be haunted, because I didn't write one.

EE, Tutu or Trilogy?
    niome
  • StevevdlStevevdl Member Posts: 73
    @Glam_Vrock I am running EE with scs, bg2tweaks, bg2Cameo, bgqe, bgeewmart, msfm and isra.
    As soon as I hit 19 rep he just dissappears from the party no warning, no conversation, nothing.
    When I hit 19 rep at prism i did notice him walking away but that is it.
    In case it makes a difference install order was roughly bgeewmart, msfm, bg2cameo, bgqe, isra, vynd, bg2tweaks and scs.
    Seems like this is only happening in EE, so it must handle NPC happiness differently. Weird that he's not saying anything, though. When it happens to me, he just gives me his default "kicked out" talk and then I can ask him to stay.

Thanks for reporting it. If you want to keep using him in the meantime, the happy patch from BG2Tweaks should fix it, or you can just use EE Keeper and change his alignment to good.
  • OxvaOxva Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 80
    First of all good job on this mod. Vynd is somewhat funny and ironic. He made me laugh two times. I am at the chapter IV right now, his interjections are really nice, he is also good addition to the party.
    Did you consider writing BG2 part?
    IMHO It would be a nice idea.
    It's coming, yeah. Can't give a definite time since I'm still technically working on this one (stupid reputation issue) but it should happen at some point. Glad you're enjoying it!
    Oxva
  • OxvaOxva Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 80
    I'm glad to read that you are working on it. I'm a slow player (there is always something to do) so I won't rush you.
    Vynd is at last up and running on Gibberlings 3! Check out that new OP.

Kivan fans should download this version, as it includes a way of resolving their conflict. Be sure to have a word with Vynd after their second banter, and also be sure to have at least one mental stat at 15 or above.

Sadly, I can't stop him from leaving the party due to reputation in Enhanced Edition, as this is a bug in the game itself.
    NonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
    cool thanks
    will he ever be aviable for bg2
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

will he ever be aviable for bg2

He will. I've planned most of his story out and written a good chunk of his dialogue. However, I've got more BG1 stuff to finish first.

Does Vynd have handy drow-specific characteristics? I kind of hate the way Bioware made Viconia: basically an angry elf with magic resistance. Walk around in the middle of a desert at noon, don't worry, it's fine. Drow actually love the sun - how do you think they get such deep tans!

Vynd doesn't suffer light-blindness, but he's also had much more time than Viconia to get used to the sun. This is covered in his dialogue.

If you don't think mixing editions is blasphemy, pretend he's taken the Daylight Adaptation feat.
    Oxva
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    That's cool. Honestly, I didn't think much about his race from a mechanical standpoint. I just went with what the game established.

Then again, with multi-classes ruling supreme in BGII, I think the magic resistance will help him compete with the likes of Jan.
    [Deleted User]
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I avoid mod NPCs as a rule, but Vynd seems like so much fun I just have to take him along on my next Evil run. :)

Just curious, are there any Vynd/Baeloth (or Vynd/Baeloth/Viconia) banters? Does he have a quest in BG:EE? If not, will he have one in SoA/ToB?
    [Deleted User]
    He does banter with Baeloth, though it didn't occur to me write three-way dialogue with Viconia. Maybe that'll be something for the next version!

No quest in BG1, but he'll definitely have one in BG2. Possibly more.
    shawneJuliusBorisovelminster[Deleted User]
    Excellent! I look forward to it. :)
    A minor request, if I may: would you consider setting Vynd's SoA quest in the Underdark? There's never any character-related content down there...
    JuliusBorisov
    Oh, he has plenty to say in the Underdark. No worries there.
    shawneelminster
  • FandraxxFandraxx Member Posts: 193
    @Glam_Vrock‌ I've just discovered this mod and OHMYGAWSH... i'm in love... I do hope you get around to putting him and all the other npcs your working on in bg2, this is fantastic.
    [Deleted User]