Skip to content

Vynd, drow assassin NPC now available for BG:EE, Tutu and Trilogy.

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    Stevevdl said:

In case you are interested Vynd takes off as soon as you hit 19 reputation.

This is true when you install in Tutu as well. It happened in the Flaming Fist Compound when I gave the angel ring.

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    edited December 2014
    A little question. Will it be made totally compatible with the sub-race mod. He doesn't become a drow just an elf with drow-like qualities. ( No day-blindness for instance) Also he didn't recognize my drow Blackguard as a drow, but said that I would never make a drow, just because I had a high reputation.
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    Fandraxx said:

@Glam_Vrock‌ I've just discovered this mod and OHMYGAWSH... i'm in love... I do hope you get around to putting him and all the other npcs your working on in bg2, this is fantastic.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed him. I'll be getting back into Vynd and co. after New Year's. Just been busy as hell lately with all the seasonal bustle.

Stevevdl said:

In case you are interested Vynd takes off as soon as you hit 19 reputation.

This is true when you install in Tutu as well. It happened in the Flaming Fist Compound when I gave the angel ring.

Would you mind telling me which mods you have installed? I've tested this over and over in Tutu and never once got it to happen, so it might be a compatibility issue.

A little question. Will it be made totally compatible with the sub-race mod. He doesn't become a drow just an elf with drow-like qualities. ( No day-blindness for instance) Also he didn't recognize my drow Blackguard as a drow, but said that I would never make a drow, just because I had a high reputation.

Unfortunately, a lot of Vynd's dialogue assumes he's talking to a surface race. Accounting for drow PCs would require substantial rewriting for something few people are likely to see. I'm not saying no, but it's not a priority right now.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited May 2015

Unless it includes Kivan. Be warned. Sadly, this feature is not currently compatible with Enhanced Edition.

Is this still the case?

No, wrong start :) First of all - thank you for the mod! Very, very well done! Everything fits (voice, face, text - any characteristic!) and forms a solid distinguished personality. Personal thanks for rationalizing some dialogs and encounters with original NPC (right from the start - with Garric - it was brilliant!), no need to self-correct some strange lines from different NPC along the way. So, once again - many thanks!

Just one question about potential problems with Kivan (trying hard not to recruit him before I know for sure). "Not compatible" means Kivan does not care about Vynd being drow?
    Yeah, that was badly phrased. I meant the feature that stops Vynd from leaving at high reputation doesn't work in Enhanced Edition. He'll fight with Kivan in any version of the game, but you can resolve it by having a word with him before it goes too far.

Glad you enjoyed the mod!
    edited May 2015
    Oh, thank you! So, safe to continue then. The more I know Vynd, the more I love that character :)
    Post edited by Mirandel on
  • PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65

Yeah, that was badly phrased. I meant the feature that stops Vynd from leaving at high reputation doesn't work in Enhanced Edition. He'll fight with Kivan in any version of the game, but you can resolve it by having a word with him before it goes too far.

Glad you enjoyed the mod!

I love boy elves especially drow but I haven't gotten Vynd yet because I always have high reputation. Does the bg2 tweaks that removes evil party members from leaving work for him in ee? It works for all the official evil characters.
    It should work. As far as I know, the BG2 Tweaks version changes the happiness/reputation system itself, rather than modifying each character individually.
  • PorcelynPorcelyn Member Posts: 65
    Yes it works, thanks for the reply. He was the final member of my all boy elf team lol
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Any news on Vynd in BG2:EE? :)
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    edited April 2016
    looks like he's broken in Siege of Dragonspear! when I talk to him in the Burning Wizard he spouts all kinds of nonsense about dopplegangers. I only just discovered him and he looks adorable, any chance of a fix?

hm--actually, I installed BGEE through Beamdog instead of Steam so SoD wasn't present, and he's still babbling someone else's lines. am I doing somethin wrong on the install? my other mods seem to be working okay.

here he is doing his thing: http://goo.gl/GPfmr3

I've done several clean installs and tried doing him first and no other mods, but to no avail, he's still confused about the script.

on doing some trawling of the forum, it sounds like SoD broke most mods. greeeat.
    Post edited by crawlkill on
    Welp.

On the bright side, I've been wanting to go back and expand Vynd's dialogue options a little, and a new SoD-compatible edition would be the perfect excuse. Hopefully I'll know how to fix this at around the same time I've got off my lazy ass and finished those other NPCs I've been trumpeting. And then I can get back to BG2 Vynd.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    that looks like scar's lines from the base game.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

On the bright side, I've been wanting to go back and expand Vynd's dialogue options a little, and a new SoD-compatible edition would be the perfect excuse. Hopefully I'll know how to fix this at around the same time I've got off my lazy ass and finished those other NPCs I've been trumpeting. And then I can get back to BG2 Vynd.

crawlkill said:

looks like he's broken in Siege of Dragonspear! when I talk to him in the Burning Wizard he spouts all kinds of nonsense about dopplegangers. I only just discovered him and he looks adorable, any chance of a fix?

hm--actually, I installed BGEE through Beamdog instead of Steam so SoD wasn't present, and he's still babbling someone else's lines. am I doing somethin wrong on the install? my other mods seem to be working okay.

here he is doing his thing: http://goo.gl/GPfmr3

I've done several clean installs and tried doing him first and no other mods, but to no avail, he's still confused about the script.

on doing some trawling of the forum, it sounds like SoD broke most mods. greeeat.

Vynd is not the only companion who lost his dialogs and began to use others. Happens with many classical companions - mixed sound files, mixed lines and so on. And on un-modified BG installation too. SoD messed up dialogs pretty heavy.

Still, re-introducing Vynd to BGEE-SoD would make so many people happy!
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    it was due to how steam and gog ued the sod file.

try using this it fixed npc project and mini encounters and see if the text problem is still there.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use#latest
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    I used one of the workarounds and got him working! HE IS AMAZING. Siege of Dragonspear and BG2 just aren't gonna be the same without him! as someone who really dislikes the conventions of fantasy in general and D&D in particular, his fourth wall-leaning satirizing of them is wonderful.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Is this compatible with v2.1? The download has the v1 of this mod, launched in 2014.
    edited May 2016
    crawlkill said:

I used one of the workarounds and got him working! HE IS AMAZING. Siege of Dragonspear and BG2 just aren't gonna be the same without him! as someone who really dislikes the conventions of fantasy in general and D&D in particular, his fourth wall-leaning satirizing of them is wonderful.

I'm glad you liked him! I don't know about introducing him to SoD yet; Vynd's got his own agenda, and I don't see him sticking around for long after Sarevok's been dealt with. BGII is still in the cards, though.
    kamuizin said:

Is this compatible with v2.1? The download has the v1 of this mod, launched in 2014.

As long as you've used the modmerge for Steam/GoG versions, it seems to run without issue, though he STILL abandons you at high reputation despite the code telling him not to. Come on, Beamdog.
    You know, it looks like BG Tweeks mod (the part about NPCs do not leave despite reputation) works on Vynd just fine. At least for me he is still there with my Heroic reputation.

Was wondering - you did not include Vynd's response for Girdle of Musculinity\Femininity because it would be an instant attempt to kill CHARNAME? :)
    Mirandel said:

You know, it looks like BG Tweeks mod (the part about NPCs do not leave despite reputation) works on Vynd just fine. At least for me he is still there with my Heroic reputation.

I know, but that affects all the other NPCs too, and it doesn't make sense for all of them. It's inelegant, but at least it's something.

As for the girdle, he does have a response. Try talking to him while he's wearing it.
    It's great. Unexpectedly mild for him, but nice :)
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    Any news on your other NPC projects?
    edited May 2016
    Holy god, it's been a year since I last updated on those.

Alright, here's the score. Writing-wise, everyone's finished except for this jerk.

Months ago, I hit a solid stone wall writing Dave, to the point where I considered scrapping him. Nothing was coming. But I had a breakthrough recently, and he's slowly becoming my favourite character to work on, which bodes well. Here's a snippet from his first player dialogue.

Code-wise, it's been more challenging. Scripting actual fights (yes, there will be a few!) is a bit tougher that just words. But we're getting there.
    Interesting effect Vynd remains in the party in SoD after prologue! When Imoen comes to wake you up Vynd is also there (unlike any original companions) laying on the floor :) (sleeping, I guess). And he partisipate in the Palace battle with assassins :) If you click on him, he even uses his wav files, but if you try to talk the voice is something from game presets.

Question about your "furious five" you are working on now - do I understand correctly and you intent to make them for BG1, SoD and BG2?
    Mirandel said:

Interesting effect Vynd remains in the party in SoD after prologue! When Imoen comes to wake you up Vynd is also there (unlike any original companions) laying on the floor :) (sleeping, I guess). And he partisipate in the Palace battle with assassins :) If you click on him, he even uses his wav files, but if you try to talk the voice is something from game presets.

Yeah, that's a problem with BG Trilogy as well. I figured things were programmed to automatically kick everyone out when you transition to a new game, but apparently not. It'll be fixed in the new version.
    Mirandel said:

Question about your "furious five" you are working on now - do I understand correctly and you intent to make them for BG1, SoD and BG2?

For BG1, definitely. For SoD and BG2, maybe eventually? Part of the reason I'm making these dudes is that BG2 gets almost all the NPC love and I want to even things out a bit. I also wanted to try my hand at some Icewind Dale characters, so I dunno. We'll see what happens.

Yeah, that's a problem with BG Trilogy as well. I figured things were programmed to automatically kick everyone out when you transition to a new game, but apparently not. It'll be fixed in the new version.

Tbh, it was a very handy bug - without him I would not be able to open locks for quite some time, not to mention help during initial fights. Would it be possible to transform bug into the feature? :)

For BG1, definitely. For SoD and BG2, maybe eventually? Part of the reason I'm making these dudes is that BG2 gets almost all the NPC love and I want to even things out a bit. I also wanted to try my hand at some Icewind Dale characters, so I dunno. We'll see what happens.

You mean, you might use that group in IWD too?! That would be fantastic! BG1 for sure needs more modders love companion wise, but IWD has no companions at all. It's a core feature - I know, even the reason people love IWD, but there are others who would not mind some talkative company. There is one absolutely amazing mod with 5 companions for IWD (they are even voiced!) but it's the only mod of the type.

Oh, it'll be a new cast if I'm doing IWD characters, not these guys. There's only so much I can squeeze out of them. And while there is one mod for it already, it neglects both shorty races and the evil alignment. The gap must be plugged.
    Then looking forward to another great mod!
  • Xeno426Xeno426 Member Posts: 38
    Since both SHS and Gibberlings3 are down, any chance of getting a mirror?