Skip to content

How to play

Ok this might seem stupid but I blew 15 bucks on the ipad version and am totally confused on how to play this game. Are there any instructions anywhere? Seems pretty sad that I can't figure out how to use a stinking weapon. Can we get refunds? The controls seem ridiculously unintuitive. Don't you just love buying a game and watching your character die over and over and nothing you do seems to work? Looked like I was swinging at one point but he just missed over and over. Oh well, ripped off again, these days they will put out anything to get money. Really getting sick of it. My fault for believing the reviews, big mistake.

Comments

• proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    There's a pretty good how to play feature in the app, and also check out the New players section on these forums. The full manuals are available at baldursgate.com. This game does have a pretty steep learning curve, but give it a chance...it's well worth it.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014
    Man, it's the best CRPG* ever made, don't expect it to be a cake walk**.
    *with the exception of Planescape Torment, a game where you never missed a single attack and you're immortal.
    **park walk or cooking a cake!
    iPad version is very difficult, almost impossible to play it with a party, try soloing.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    As @procco noted, there's a series of helpful videos in the game. You can get to them from the main game menu (select Shadows of Amn, watch the video, select Continue, and then select "How to Play"). There are basic gameplay and combat videos, and then there are also a number of more advanced videos as well.
  • yanm75yanm75 Member Posts: 3
    @bandhor you can check out this forum as well: http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/help-for-new-players(no-spoilers). Baldur's gate games have indeed a steep learning curve but they are worth the effort though.

@CrevsDaak I find playing a party in the iPad version okay; not perfect mind but playable. I so rarely fire up my Mac since I've an iPad that I find a core to do so just to play BGEE... What I miss most is the space bar shortcut for pause though.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @yanm75 but playing solo is even easier to control. Also I'm a solo run addict, in all my life I only won BG2 once with a party.
  • yanm75yanm75 Member Posts: 3
    Maybe I should trying soloing once. An advice on the choice of the class for a first run?
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    The first thing you should do is make sure that the game is pausing on various combat events. Battles in "real time" are very difficult.

I think the OP fundamentally misunderstands how the combat works. This is not like Skyrim or other real time combat systems. This is turn based. You tell your party members what to do and they keep doing it. For example, you tell a character to use a bow and arrow and the character will keep shooting arrow. To know if the arrow hits, the game will essentially roll dice. The graphics are irrelevant. It isn't about making contact. It is about the dice roll. So if you have poor stats and a weak weapon against a strong enemy with good armor, you will keep swinging and missing. If you want to better understand this, than make sure the game is displaying dice rolls (there is an option for that).

I see no reason to play solo. Just keep in mind that if party members die, you can always get more party members. You can also decrease the difficulty level. When in combat, you might want to zoom in a little to better select what you want.

The reason why this game is great is that it takes thought to play. It takes some patience. Also, be careful who you fight. You might not be ready for some battles initially.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    I love playing with a party, and that's what I always do (almost every time).
    You just need many autopause, and you need a sort of micromanage to place prty members where you want them to be.
    This is tricky, because sometimes you select a NPC and when you try to make him go to a certain place, the game thinks that you want to open a container.... You need to be very careful.
    A solo run it's easier because you don't need much micromanage, you just need to control (and protect) one PC, and he level up very fast.... but with a party I always have more fun.
    If you are a novice player.... you really need a party.
  • TheZodiakTheZodiak Member Posts: 33
    Hey bandhor,

if you start completely new and have no experience with Baldurs Gate i can totally understand that you are confused. However when you made your character and start in the first town you should talk to all the green guys there. They give you some tips how to play the game. Just talk with everyone there and find out more about the game.

As for the controls i don't rly know on what kind of device you are playing (Ipad or Ipad mini). I play on an ipad mini and the controls are sometimes bad when i totally zoom out. But it happens only in a few areas (seems like a bug tbh). So if you encounter this just zoom in and click on the object.

To handle dialogs just tip your finger on the answers and hold it till you select the answer/question you would like to give. Then release it.

To equip a weapon: Open your inventory (on the left bar). click on the weapon (you should see that it is selected by coming out). Then click on the symbol with the sword in it. Thats it. You will now see the weapon on the bottom bar. You can return to the main screen everytime on top left.

Use the pause function (bottom left) whenever a fight starts. Then select your characters and tell them what to do i.e. click on the weapon of a character (bottom bar) and you will notice that it appears orange, then click on the enemy. You will notice that the weapon appears on the portrait of your character then. Your character will attack the enemy with the weapon when you unpause the game.

This game is totally playable on the ipad if you get some experience and it has a lot of story! I think it is worth the money and its a good idea to put it on an ipad. It's the right platform to play such a game because the only time you need a keyboard is when you type in your name ;-).