Aerie or Heir Dalas?

So the group at present is:
Cali: A Halfling swashy
Keldorn
Mazzy
Anomen
Minsc
Aerie

So the question is; do I really need Aerie? Or can I swap her for Heir Dalas (even if I can't spell his name)?
I tend only to use mages to buff before battle, and maybe to toss a couple magic missles. So could I get through with a bard instead easy enough? I figure Anomen has the healing stuff covered.

Comments

• SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Sure it's possible, he's surprisingly good if you buff him properly - but left far behind the others if you don't :)
  • victory_rosevictory_rose Member Posts: 72
    I haven't used either of Aerie or Haer'Dalis much in the EE version, and I know the game can by played with any combination of characters, but for me, that party is a bit too light on arcane magic. Might make the game a bit difficult in future mage battles?
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I agree with @victory_rose on the arcane magic. But then you got Keldorn, so you don't need a myriad of penetration spells like I did. I love Aerie's character, but her slow progression is really quite frustrating. I never got to lv9 Arcane spells with her.

Personally I'd recommend Imoen over both of them.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Hairy D is far much better than Aerie, he is capable of casting spells up to 6, but he is an awesome tank if buffed correctly. If you don't give much use to Mid and High levels spells, Haer'Dalis will be much better for your party.
  • victory_rosevictory_rose Member Posts: 72
    I must admit I'm curious about Haer'Dalis, I've been reading interesting things about him recently. I'm currently progressing a C/R character through BG1, and I think the BG2 run will include those characters I've not used much, like Aerie, Haer'Dalis and Mazzy.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    No, you don't need Aerie if you already have Anomen. One cleric is more than enough. She is a mage too, but it takes ages before she gets high-level spells.

However, as much as I like Haer'Dalis, I would recommend getting a mage instead. Imoen, Neera and Nalia will all add more value to your party than Aerie or Haer'Dalis will, I think. Those high-level spells will save you all the time in the late game.
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Thanks everyone, a lot to think about here
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    Might as well keep Aerie. You already have 5 warrior/warrior-ish characters and she's the most versatile character in the game. It depends of course on how far you are into the game though.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • artyomartyom Member Posts: 26
    impregnate aerie then leave her
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    Very interesting group you've got there! Basically all warriors, and no arcane casters at all.

I'd definitely keep Aerie, but as said above, you can complete the game with any combination of characters. Soloing with a skald might be a tad difficult, though.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i came in expected this to be a thread about another person experiencing the Haer'Dalis-Aerie romance as they were pursuing her :)

anyway I would recommend Aerie. she will, even as a multiclass, get more spells as well as higher level spells
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880
    I can't stand Aerie (she's probably the only NPC in the game I'll never even consider taking), and I love blades, so I'd recommend Haer'Dalis of course!
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I cant stop giving Aerie the Robe of Vecna.

High level spells can wait, having fast-casting mid-level mage AND cleric spells is amazing!
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I've decided to keep Aerie. She is doing a fairly good job holding her own, so I figure she has earned a spot.
    Now of course I'll need to do another run through where I do use Haer'Dalis.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Follow @artyom, HE WILL SHOW THEE THE LIGHT!!!
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    Air Dallas?

So you want to know the best way to fly through Texas...on the wings of an Avariel, or Air Dallas...