Skip to content

What about now, how successful is BG:EE and BG2:EE?

Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
How successful is BG:EE (ipad and pc) and BG2:EE (ipad and pc)? Did it was a financial success for Overhaul Games/Beamdog? I for instance bought these 4 products and I'm an happy customer.

In fact I would like to know if these 2 projects were a good operation, if Overhaul Games/Beamdog are happy with the results (if they are good) and if they still want to develop or enhance this kind of isometric games?

In my opinion, it was a great year for us with the release of BG:EE and BG2:EE and the next one will be even better, I'm thinking of Tides of Numenera, Pillars of Eternity, The Banner Saga for example. But still, I would love to play on an enhanced edition of Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 on my pc and my ipad and equally to a next title of the Baldur's Gate Saga.

So I'm wondering.. What about now?

[Edit] @Heindrich1988, correct.

Post edited by Twilight_Fox on

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Don't you mean...

What about now?
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I still say 2 good things they could do is Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced Edition or a new D&D game in the style of the Infinity Engine games in some of the lesser explored settings of D&D... Not every game has to take place in the Forgotten Realms.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Yeah, Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2 would be great.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    Actually i prefer Forgotten Realm settings. There are a lot of places in Abeir-Toril that are unexplored.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    I love the products I bought (bought for PC directly from beamdog not steam because I like supporting the actual people who made it) the community is amazing and helpful, I'm glad to be a part of it (if only a minor part) and as for what they should do next its up to them and their confidence in their skills.

if they feel they ca take on making a new game from scratch then I'm all for it but in my honest opinion i think they should do another remake of what ever game they want for only one reason:

the buggy state the games come out in, what do I mean by that? read below and anyone at overhaul/beamdog who reads this note this isn't my complaining this is just observation from the forum and my experience with BG:EE....

I Pre-ordered and played BG:EE on first day of release, well I didn't -play- it on day of release because it didn't work and I had to spend a week scouring the beamdog forums for fixes for problems that my own experimentation didn't fix. after I got it working I had pretty much no more problems and I went on the forums and helped people with there problems where I could, and this includes having to experiment and fix the game again when I installed the new patch. overall I was happy with the end product but i was extremely disappointed by its release as it didn't work at all from day one, most games are buggy on release but they function (mostly).

then BG2:EE came and it was in a much more functional state and I was really excited and overjoyed with what I had bought, but I noticed on here that there were quite a lot of people having problems (don't get me wrong a response from the team came quickly on nearly all counts that I saw) so i think overhaul could do with just that little more experience and (more importantly) time so they can hammer out most (not all because that's impossible) of the major game breaking bugs upon release. their work is great but it just needs a tiny bit more.

but who am I to tell them what to do? Overhaul have risen to be one of my favorite development companies and I can guarantee I will buy their next game whither it's icewind dale, planescape, or their own game, because at the rate they are going (for pc at least i know tablet gamers and people who's first language isn't English are frustrated) they have the potential to become an amazing company very quickly.

oh but a suggestion that might help or maybe not but have you considered writing the dialogue of the game first then send it to the translation team to translate the dialogue while the game is being built? or is it not that simple?

I dabble in programming and most text that I've written has been within tools in a game engine so it was simple for me to do, not sure about what you use though
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Kaltzor said:

I still say 2 good things they could do is Icewind Dale 2 Enhanced Edition or a new D&D game in the style of the Infinity Engine games in some of the lesser explored settings of D&D... Not every game has to take place in the Forgotten Realms.

I would kill for a game based on the Dark Sun setting. It would probably go over really well today, considering how popular the post apocalyptic settings have been. It's a fantasy style post apocalyptic world, so that alone makes it pretty unique.

I never got that far into the old dos games they made of those, and they're tough to play now. Dark Sun was always my favorite setting when I played PnP as a kid.
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    @Shar

I don't quite understand why you felt the need to post that.

It's great you love Forgotten Realms but what relevance does that have to the OP, or any other posts in this thread?

Not being rude here. Genuinely baffled by your tangent.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

@Shar

It's great you love Forgotten Realms but what relevance does that have to the OP, or any other posts in this thread?

It was probably a response to Kaltzor's "Not every game has to take place in the Forgotten Realms" comment.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Let us know here if someone have the answer, it would be appreciate.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158
    elminster said:

@Shar

It was probably a response to Kaltzor's "Not every game has to take place in the Forgotten Realms" comment.
    Yeah my apologies it was. Didnt mean to be rude either, there are a lot of good games there with very good world designs but nothing quite draws me back like BG's representation of Toril.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    That's the advantage of using an established setting: you can frame
    events using location and history instead of writing a plot and then making a map and history to go along with it. Looking at you, Dragon Age.

Then again, FR as presented in BG made the place seem fairly normal, without the apocalypses that seem to happen every few years now.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    Bigfish said:

That's the advantage of using an established setting: you can frame
    events using location and history instead of writing a plot and then making a map and history to go along with it. Looking at you, Dragon Age.

Then again, FR as presented in BG made the place seem fairly normal, without the apocalypses that seem to happen every few years now.

while i agree with you here i also disagree with you for one reasons.....the OTT fanboys, you know the guy: the guy who has memorized every kind of lore and timeline to do with an established setting so if you try something unique that didn't happen (going to make up an example) talona and velsharoon made an undead lich to attack waterdeep and hes super bad ass and this happened during the time of troubles. you'd have those people who would rage and bad mouth the game and be a thorn in the games development, where as if you used your own unique setting no one can call bullshit because no one knows the setting better than the guy who made it.

there are advantages and disadvantages to both but i see your point
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    @Shar @Twilight_Fox

Ah sorry my bad. I missed him saying about Forgotten Realms. I was like "Everyones talking about Icewind Dale... that's in forgotten realms dude..." lol.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited January 2014
    I think they could make a Dragonlance Saga, with canon characters as protagonists, in Infinity Engine. Of course the graphics could be much better today, but BG:EE proved that we still love to play games with this kind of gameplay.

Just don't go for Neverwinter 3D Neo-Fantasy Stylized look. It could still be a 2D game, but with refined graphics. And, please, trust in the old medieval concept art. Give us believable armors, and spare us from bright colored worlds (like World of Warcraft or Neverwinter MMORPG).