Skip to content

What is going on?(spoilers)

2»

Comments

• kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    Mordenkainen's Sword is one of the best summons in the game and definitely worth casting since it's immune to physical damage. Very good at tanking pretty much anything.

Fun fact: Although Mordy's Sword is immune to physical damage, it is *not* immune to vorpal effects. I'm not quite sure how that's supposed to make one bit of sense. Do swords have heads? :)
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741

Mordenkainen's Sword is one of the best summons in the game and definitely worth casting since it's immune to physical damage. Very good at tanking pretty much anything.

Fun fact: Although Mordy's Sword is immune to physical damage, it is *not* immune to vorpal effects. I'm not quite sure how that's supposed to make one bit of sense. Do swords have heads? :)

Sorry yeah forgot about mordy's swords, I actually summon two of these all the time to block up narrow passages etc. Most enemies in this game can't deal with them at all.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    kryptix said:

Sorry yeah forgot about mordy's swords, I actually summon two of these all the time to block up narrow passages etc. Most enemies in this game can't deal with them at all.
    Exept those smart enough to use magic missile on them. I've seen Drow do that after other spells fail.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    Could be they ran out of other spells! Or maybe it's an SCS feature. Mainly I use them against vampires and mind flayers - things that absolutely must be kept away. Those things usually do not deal magic damage.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    As a general spellcasting tip - there are quite a few party friendly AOE disabling spells that work well. From the sounds of things @LundmaN is already using Slow and Glitterdust which are two of my favorite spells.

Insect Swarm/Plague have already been mentioned. They're great.

Greater Malison lowers enemy saves, making your spells more likely to work. Throwing one of these into combat early on can be very useful.

Chaos is underrated as a spell. It will make a number of the enemy parties you face a lot easier by stopping their casters. If half of your enemies are wandering aimlessly, attacking one another or standing around scratching their chins then they're not attacking you. Which is good.

Much later on you'll get Nature's Beauty for Druids. This is a great AOE blindness spell, party friendly and no save.
    I find chaos and confusion only useful when you face mass swarms of enemies but I don't think they are party friendly which can be an issue. Chaos and confusion are great if you try to do the SCS version of ust natha defenders though.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Chaos and confusion are party friendly, that's one of the main advantages.
    Hmmm I swear I've landed a Chaos on my on partymember before but I could be wrong and the enemy cast it at the same time as me?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'm pretty sure they're foes only
  • MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    Chaos is foe-only, but the enemy loves to cast it too, so it seems pretty possible two got launched simultaneously.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited January 2014
    Party friendly and oh so good with robe of Vecna in these ambushes where they spawn right on top of you.The only thing better in the early game is the Harp of Pandemonium which throws in a wing buffets on top :)
    Post edited by Skaffen on
  • FatalApocalypseFatalApocalypse Member Posts: 66
    Jaheira is a druid and she changes her mind every 5 minutes. That's a combo which results in the fact that you should never take what she says for useful lol
  • LundmaNLundmaN Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2014
    Hey guys I'm finally getting a hang of this, another quick question though. Is it possible to rearrange my party members' position? When I click and drag to select all party members I have a few formations on the actionbar to choose from, and if I right click I can choose even more formations. But is it possible to, for instance, move Minsc so he's always in the front?

Also, what is the "Guard" skill on Minsc's actionbar for?
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Uh, not sure if
    i understand your wuestion but you order your party simply by dragging the portraits.
  • victory_rosevictory_rose Member Posts: 72
    edited January 2014
    @LundmaN

If you drag Minsc's portrait (in the character icon list to the right) to the top, making him the main character (as far as formation and conversations are concerned), and select a party formation that places the main character at the front, then Minsc should always be at the front of the formation. Unfortunately, if you have Rasaad in your party, because his speed is faster than normal, Rasaad will tend to be at the front and therefore be the first character the monsters ahead of you see and attack (can be quite frustrating, sometimes).

Also, if you are in tight quarters where there isn't much space, the group will tend to get in each other's way and that will sometimes mess up the character formation completely so that your squishy characters are either at the front, or even try to find another way to get to their destination and even encounter new enemies on their way there. Ordering your group to go short distances at a time, or setting way points along the way can avoid this situation.

I don't normally use the guard option, but if I recall correctly, all fighter-types have this option, and can be ordered to "guard" another character. I believe this means that if a monster targets the character who is to be guarded, the one who's doing the guarding will immediately try to defend his character by attacking and preferably killing the monster before it can harm the character who was to be guarded. I generally find it better to just order the tank to attack first the monster most likely to harm the weaker characters, which is usually the closest monster.
    Awesome, thank you @victory_rose
  • TaearTaear Member Posts: 90
    Guard doesn't really work, it's a relic of the way the infinity engine works and I don't think anyone actually uses it.
    edited February 2014
    Sometimes, after I've casted a spell and cast another spell again afterwards, there's a delay. I've chosen a spell and a target, but my character is just standing there, and then after 2-3 seconds she finally starts to cast. What is up with that? Is it supposed to happen? Because that 3 second delay feels very long in the harder fights and is quite annoying since it has put me in situations I know I should have avoided...

I play as a Sorcerer.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,158
    Yeah, you only get one spell a combat round. Fast spells go off sooner, but you still only get one a round (six seconds in BG).
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    There is an Arcane HLA (kinda like lv10 spell) called Improved Alacrity, which removes the gaps between casting spells. You should have access to this later in the game, maybe towards the end of SoA. It is absolutely devastating when combined with Timestop.
  • MacHurtoMacHurto Member Posts: 731
    Actually, given time stop invulnerabilities and an item that reduces casting time, I usually dont even bother with time stop. That slot can be taken by another improved alacrity :-)