Skip to content

Gonna to play a female and arcane heavy party

Player: sorcerer
Nalia
Imoen
Ariel
Neera
Jaheira

Jaheria is not a arcane NPC, do I have another female to replace her?

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited January 2014
    I've heard of a nice lass called Edwina...

btw... unless you know the game well enough and were specifically looking for a challenge, I'd recommend at least one frontliner and one divine caster, maybe Fighter/Mage PC of some sort and keep Jaheira? An all arcane party looks kinda squishy, and unless you rest a lot, they are horribly vulnerable once they've exhausted their spells.
  • FlowFlow Member Posts: 21
    Edwina will not work with Neera. They do not get along at all. It is either or.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Ariel, the mermaid??
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Jaheria is more tank than caster so maybe viconia instead?
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    Could just go with the five to level up faster? And perhaps use Hexxat until you take back Imoen to help Nalia out
  • foolstonefoolstone Member Posts: 37
    Lesse said:

Could just go with the five to level up faster? And perhaps use Hexxat until you take back Imoen to help Nalia out

Thanks. I think go with 5 members party is a good idea.
    All mages are good tank than fighter.
    Ariel is a divine caster also if I was not wrong.

so party will be

PC:sorcerer
    Nalia
    Ariel
    Neera

Imoen (after chapter 4)
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    This is more or less what I did my first time around (way before Neera existed.) I had a Conjurer, Imoen, Nalia, and Aerie. I also took Minsc mainly out of sympathy, and Keldorn just because of his armor, but in retrospect neither was strictly necessary. I'm toying with the idea of running a similar party next time, but with 2/3 of Neera, Viconia, and Jaheira instead of the fighters.

Most of the battles were way too easy, though, even with Ascension. Just webwebweb greater malison webwebweb spider spawn. I had Nalia killing Fire Giants and demons with the +2 short sword that gives you free action - not even buffed: with two dozen webs on the board there was really no danger. During the final battle I cast web over sixty times and repeatedly crashed my machine by producing too many spell effects. I'd definitely recommend SCS if you use an overpowered party like this.
    With SCS web doesn't affect fire giants so yeah it makes a big difference
    edited January 2014
    Yep, definitely a necessity. There are still *plenty* of other nasty things to do with four mages, though.
    Yeah my current run in the oasis with the armies of tether pretty much involved 8x horrid wilting 4x death cloud and 5x incendiary cloud... I was too lazy to bust out the firestorms and storm of vengeance on my priests because things just popped to chain contingencies and firestorm is not party friendly.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited January 2014
    Did you know that Staff of the Ram knocks Fire Giants unconscious rather than knocking them back? I didn't, but it was hilarious to wield Staff of the Ram with GWW against them. They didn't have a chance. Web? Pfft. I know that spell is good but it's also insanely annoying at the same time. Actually Web is so annoying that I never use it.
    It's not annoying if you have free action, and between the ring, the short sword, and Keldorn's armor I only had to cast it now and then. Web never stopped working throughout the whole game. All those hordes of demons at the end of Ascension never even scratched me (literally) mainly because of web. The second battle with Irenicus? Web. And the Drow cleric with 99% magic resistance and save vs. spell 1? A handful of lower resistances and sixty webs did her in. I probably would have hardly ever used anything else if I didn't have a personal rule about not resting in dungeons, forcing me to use all those inferior higher level spell slots.

You're right about the Staff of the Ram +6. It's the best weapon in the game - overlooked mainly because staves are just not glamorous. Same reason you see people touting elf fighter/mages but not gnome fighter/illusionists.
    By the way, foolstone, I recommend that your sorcerer learn web.
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    holy crap, even the demons in the final battle get stuck in a simple web?? so many tricks with this game..
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    If you have a 6 person party, not everyone will have Free Action. I can certainly see it being very useful solo or in smaller parties. Anyway, sixty webs! Sixty! That's... quite a lot :)

Two-handers unfortunately aren't too highly regarded. Too bad Carsomyr gets the most attention when it's far from being the best of them. The Ravager +6 for example absolutely massacres anything that doesn't have special boss immunities to decapitation. One GWW gives you a 1-0.9^10 = 65% chance of decapitating your enemy (if every attack hits), but it's not that unusual to decapitate more than one enemy in the same GWW. I did decide that overall Staff of the Ram +6 was most useful for me of all the two-handers I tried.
  • DeriloreDerilore Member Posts: 44
    Free Action isn't too hard to get.

Keldorn Armor
    Flail of ages
    ring
    Boots

That's 4 always immune, but honestly who has more than 2-3 melee anyways. Skeletons resist web 9/10, summoned spiders are immune. Then there is always the Free Action spell by priests which does this as well.
    Don't forget Arbane's sword. That's 5. I used it for Nalia just so that I always had at least one mage who could walk through webs, but often she'd end up stabbing things with it anyway.
    golingarf said:

Don't forget Arbane's sword. That's 5. I used it for Nalia just so that I always had at least one mage who could walk through webs, but often she'd end up stabbing things with it anyway.

Pretty sure in EE Arbane's isn't giving full free action and does not give you immunity to web. The description does not include web at least.

Source: I got frustrated trying this early on in this playthrough but I have SCS so take it with a grain of salt.

• DeriloreDerilore Member Posts: 44
    Yeah arbanes doesn't stop web. And I've noticed that Keldorn kinda sucks as a paladin. Seems to get feared quite often and as much as I love prebuffing it doesn't help him much.

Any items grant fear immunity?
    edited January 2014
    @Derilore

Not that I am aware of. But Remove Fear or Resist Fear are low level spells that can protect your whole party for a long time with each cast, so fear really shouldn't be an issue for any party with a mage or cleric.

Edit: They are even very fast casting spells, so you can even cast it quickly to remove fear effects after a character has been lost to Horror or morale break.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @foolstone
    It's Aerie. A-E-R-I-E. Aerie. ;)
    Archaos said:

@foolstone
    It's Aerie. A-E-R-I-E. Aerie. ;)

Aerie, who is an Avariel, a race of winged elves, who lost her wings. :)
    I wonder how they thought of her name?
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    golingarf said:

Aerie is Dracula backwards.

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Mitchfork said:

golingarf said:

And Dinkamus Littledog is Indiana Jones backwards.
    Oh, also, CREVS DAAK BACKWARDS IS DARTH ZANNAH!!
  • Stasis_SwordStasis_Sword Member Posts: 91
    Mitchfork said:

golingarf said:

Alucard is Dracula backwards, and while not very creative he was awesome in Castlevania SOTN.