Skip to content

Anyone else has trouble viewing item stats on ipad?

The only way I figured to do this is by clicking and releasing the item in the same slot, but it works like 5% of the time, its been ruining the game for me... Has anyone know of a better way to do this?

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    No, i have no problem. A long tap works 95% of the times.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Make a long click. I mean, when you put your finger on the item to pick it up, say '1 mississippi' and then let go. If you just tap and remove your finger instantly you pick the item, if you keep the finger pressed more than one second it opens up statistics page when you release.
  • nsrnsr Member Posts: 174
    I used to have trouble with this when the BGEE 1.2 patch first came out. Now in BG2EE I don't seem to have as much trouble. Either it was improved, or I just got used to how to do the right long tap
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    The biggest issue right now with log taps is that with the change in input methods if you end up moving the item while making the long tap, it recognizes it as a Tap-Drag-Release not a Tap-Hold-Release action which means it won't open up the item stats page.

To be bluntly honest, this is one game I find the use of a stylus to greatly improve the game play on the iPad. With as much tapping, dragging and movement as you have to do on the pad screen it seems to play better, more consistently and with less screen smear.
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Once you get used to playing BG on iPad there are no real interface issues.
    long taps work 90% of the time.
    Double taps work 90% of the time.
    Scrolling items in shops it's not that difficult. I use to slide my finger to go fast, and I use arrows for more accuracy.
    Not being able to multiple select items in shops is a problem just because if you sell the same item multiple times, you'll have less money... but money it's not a big deal in BG.
    I always steal everythng I can in shops, and stealing should be ankward... but it's not, even if you have to steal one item at time and everytime you have to re-scroll the item list to find the next item you want to steal.

The real issue is that if you want to place a party member in a certain spot (usually because you want him to be far from the battle) sometimes it's impossible to aim a position if it's close to a door or a container or a loot, and you have to pause, zoom in, aim and see if you are lucky or if you have to try again.
    The other issue is when there are two container very close one to each other. It's not easy to aim the right one or to know wich one you are actually looting.

But, as iI said, you just have to get used.
    I'm playing with iPad everyday at least a couple of hours, and it's amazing!!!
    When I'll be able to use MOD like SCS it will be perfect!
    Delvarian_Luke_
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Let me second some of the things @Pibaro said:

On the interface issues, everything @Pibaro mentioned as problems are known and bug reported...I'm hoping that another patch down the road will take care of them. One of the issues has to do with tap/drag...finger UP is now recognized as a tap not finger DOWN (which is what fixed the accidental Tap/Drag/Click instead of Tap/Drag/Release issue). This has the bad side effect, however, of making you unable to tap/drag on things like a scroll bar, since Tap is registered on UP and you are no longer dragging if your finger is off the iPad.

Again, this is already bug reported.

As to the party placement issue, this likely will never be "fixed", because, it's really not broken. The original iPad interface (and I mean before the first patch almost a year and a half ago) was too difficult to register small items (like some of the items hidden in the world) because your finger was A LOT bigger than the location the item was registered at.

The fix was what the developers called "smart tap" which was, in essence to use any object CLOSE TO where you tapped as the target of the tap, assuming a tappable object was near.

This fixed 90% of the issues of being unable to obtain objects from small containers, but had the unfortunate side effect of making locating a character near a tappable object (like a door or container) near impossible as the closer you want to get to the tappable object the more likely the code is to "smart tap" your character to the object instead of the location near it.

As @Pibaro said, however, you DO get used to it...and I don't mean grudgingly either. Play for a half hour or so and any interface problems you are annoyed by will likely be only at the back of your mind. The scrolling through items in the purchase interface is likely the only real "major" interface bug left in the iPad version.
    proccoPibaro