Skip to content

Need some help interpretting what some of Jaheira's different "LOVETALK" variable values mean.

FlyingWizardFlyingWizard Member Posts: 20
Initial note: just to get it out of the way, I did check the value of JaheiraRomanceActive, and it is 1, so if I understand correctly, the romance quest is still active.

Sorry for the long winded title, but basically I'm trying to figure out what point in Jaheira's romance I'm at. In the main quest where I've just been given access to the quest "The prophecy of Sekolah" (in the underwater area with sahuagen [spelling? I always just call them "Sahag" as per their shortened name in Final Fantasy 1 :P).

I've been approached by a guy named "Dermin" (I think that was his name, I'm 100% unsure if that's the guy's name, but what he did was...) who told me he was sent to kill Jaheira (and Charname), but didn't want to, and so we talked about it and eventually he left (this was, of course, some time after being approached by Reviane and being forced to fight and kill her). Since that time, I've had a few discussions with Jaheira, but I can't remember exactly what the most recent one was. I know one of them was a dialogue where Jaheira says stuff along these lines (taken from a guide, forgive the formatting):
~~

'I...I need to speak with you a moment.'

Choose option 1

'I wished to apologize for my questions earlier. I was too
forward. I needed to know you remain the same man that I began
traveling with so long ago.'

Choose option 2

'That does not ease my mind. I must know what is truth or I
cannot trust myself. My decisions have affected many and I do not
wish to endanger anyone else.'

Choose option 1

'No? The Harper in your midst?'

Choose option 1

LD28: 'How...how did that battle make you feel? Did you enjoy it?

Choose option 2

'No, but what were your motivations? You can be violent like any
other person, but there is more at stake at with you. What were
you thinking?'

~~
So, in the same guide, it says that the next thing that should happen is:

"LD29: This is not a love dialogue but instead Dermin comes again
and this time warns Jaheira that the Harper court has decided her
fate. Death. He tells her that the main character can be avoided
from suffering the same fate as long as she return to the Harper
Hold. Jaheira will say that she will 'think on this' "

This has _not_ happened for me yet, and it's where I've gotten confused--the guide says the value for "love talk" at this time is 29, but my love talk value is 52. I'm 99% sure this is a difference between BG2 and BG2EE (the guide is for BG2 posted 12 years ago, lol), but I can't find any guides that tell me what the love talk values in BG2EE translate to.

Now, I know that in vanilla BG2, Jaheira's romance was impossible to complete due to some bugs (or so I've been told), but I haven't researched if that's still the case in vanilla BG2EE. Can someone tell me if I need to take any console or EE-Keeper action to get this romance back on track, or have I never left the rails (so to speak) in the first place?

My sincerest thanks to anyone who bothers to tackle this wall of text!

Comments

• AramintaiAramintai Member Posts: 232
    edited January 2014
    The numeration that this FAQ uses does not correspond to the actual numbers in the game - it is numbered that way just for the sake of keeping order in which lovetalks occur. Ingame values are increased by 2 after each talk, therefore bigger number. However, it's suspicious that the value you have is even. Lovetalk numbers should be odd.
    And, btw, Dermin appears only in certain areas, like Athkatla or De'Arnise keep exterior. He won't appear in dungeons or other remote locations.
  • FlyingWizardFlyingWizard Member Posts: 20
    Aramintai said:

The numeration that this FAQ uses does not correspond to the actual numbers in the game - it is numbered that way just for the sake of keeping order in which lovetalks occur. Ingame values are increased by 2 after each talk, therefore bigger number. However, it's suspicious that the value you have is even. Lovetalk numbers should be odd.
    And, btw, Dermin appears only in certain areas, like Athkatla or De'Arnise keep exterior. He won't appear in dungeons or other remote locations.

Thanks for the response, this is very helpful. I'll return to this thread with another reply if I don't get an event with Dermin soon after I'm able to reach a town or something again.