Skip to content

SPOILER: IMOEN or YOSHIMO for the side quests?

xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 194
I heard Imoen does not have any banter with other companions in SOA as she was supposed to be killed in the main storyline initially.

Therefore, I would like to know whether she has any interaction with the normal npc (e.g. commoner, beggar, noblewoman etc) or the subquest npc (e.g. unseeing eye, umar hill etc) in SOA.

I'm someone who enjoy seeing companions interact with the npc in several ways., and I wish I could see how she interacts with other npc as I love her personality. I'm worry that Imoen won't say anything to the npc after she rejoins. If that is the case, maybe I should try to finish all the subquest with Yoshimo before proceeding with the main storyline.

Kindly advise me. TQ.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    I don't think anyone has banters with commoners or other unnamed random NPCs...

Yes Imoen is pretty silent in Chapter 2.

However... if u intend to use Imoen again, then there's 2 reasons why u shud rescue her a bit sooner.

1) RP... If ur character remotely cares about her, surely he/she should try to rescue Imoen asap.

2) If u take too long, Imoen is gonna be quite a lot lower level than the rest of ur party. In a LP I watched, Imoen was significantly behind Nalia for the entire game, because the player picked up Nalia very early and did most of the Chapter 2 quests before going for Imoen.
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 194
    edited January 2014

However... if u intend to use Imoen again, then there's 2 reasons why u shud rescue her a bit sooner.

1) RP... If ur character remotely cares about her, surely he/she should try to rescue Imoen asap.

2) If u take too long, Imoen is gonna be quite a lot lower level than the rest of ur party. In a LP I watched, Imoen was significantly behind Nalia for the entire game, because the player picked up Nalia very early and did most of the Chapter 2 quests before going for Imoen.

I'm sure the other companions have a lot to say to the unamed npcs, you just have click on the same npc several times to find it out, there are many interactions, such as some may insult or attack viconia because she is a drow, or Haer Dalis may flirt with female npcs, some npcs may have comments on the race or the appearance of the companions and they will respond accordingly...

I will consider the interactions and story only for this playthrough. I have never tried to use IMOEN or YOSHIMO previously. If Imoen only talk in the main quest but not the side quests, then maybe I will finish the sub quests with other npcs first, especially Yoshimo since he has many comments in several quests, some are quite interesting actually.

Exp is not a problem because I will calculate and transfer his experience to Imoen manually using the EEkeeper.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    edited January 2014
    Imoen says like nothing. I installed the "romance" mod and really rushed to save her to see what she would say to all those Chapter 2 NPC's but she was quiet. Nothing by default and nothing added by the mod.

ps give a coin to a beggar with nalia in the group
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I usually use Imoen but I do all of the main quest lines in chapter 2 usually, maybe skipping 1-2 if the loot won't help my intended party. That means, DeArnise keep always gets done (Axe and FOA), Planar Prison and Druid grove almost always get done for Belm and Kundane, Umar hills for shadow dragon armor and maybe the night's gift, Windspear hills for red dragon scales and sometimes Carsomyr (Hexxat or Jan usually), Planar sphere for Ring of Ram (but you can pick pocket it) and Ring of Acuity, which leaves:

Unseeing Eye and MaeVar's guild as the two that don't have anything super special...

I never take Yoshimo though except for just the boat ride to brynnlaw.

I find that Imoen works well as long as you get her before you go to Watcher's Keep because she'll still have all of her spell slots and HLAs well before the end of TOB.
    enqenq said:

Imoen says like nothing. I installed the "romance" mod and really rushed to save her to see what she would say to all those Chapter 2 NPC's but she was quiet. Nothing by default and nothing added by the mod.

Thanks, that mean I should not rush to save her if i wish to see as many npc interactions as possible in Chapter 2. I guess I will finish all the subquest before rescuing her, just bring here for main quest and TOB should be good enough, she should have something to say during the main quest.
  • JoviwanJoviwan Member Posts: 28
    enqenq said:

Thanks to the specific mechanics of imoen romance mod, rushing to save imoen as fast as possible actually hurts your friendship/romance scores, reducing her banter with the charname and possibly with other party members (though I recall she has lots to say to viconia and aerie). Minor nitpick.

back on topic, she gets a lot more talkative in vanilla ToB
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Of course she's silent, she's been traumatized first by her capture by Irenicus, then by the Cowled Wizards, then finally by Irenicus again. I'd have a lot on my mind too. Cut her some slack already, she's been through a lot.

Belanos said:

Of course she's silent, she's been traumatized first by her capture by Irenicus, then by the Cowled Wizards, then finally by Irenicus again. I'd have a lot on my mind too. Cut her some slack already, she's been through a lot.

@Belanos

Hmmm I shudda reworded that... "Imoen is pretty silent in Chapter 2 quests." Of course she's silent in Chapter 2...
    she's not there! lol

Anyways I wasn't criticising Imoen. I was somewhat criticising the devs for giving Imoen nowhere near enough the content that she deserves. I mean precisely because she's been through so much (so has Charname), it would be nice to have the option of talk to her about it.

I don't expect her to suddenly start telling tales of trollops and plug tails, but you know... a few banters about their shared experiences, maybe give Charname the option to express a desire for vengeance, or simply reassure her if she has a nightmare. Something to reinforce the supposed sibling bond between them after the trauma they've been through.

In general, I love the banter in BG 2, but it isn't paced very well for all NPCs. Everyone is nice and chatty in Chapter 2, and then it kinda seems to just run out except for very specific encounters. Like the hilarious exchange between Minsc and Aerie regarding his embarrassing problem... stuff like that (not all humour, cos it's a very dark game in general) should be more regular in mid-end SoA, and occur between all NPCs.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    She was originally supposed to die in Spellhold. Her survival was a last minute change.
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    As said, Imoen has a very few amount of interjections in the Underdark, Bodhi lair, and the Elven City/ending, but that's it. She has no interjections for any of the quests you can do in chapter 2- the Hold, the Hills, the other Hills, the circus, the planar prison, whatever else you can think of. Yoshimo has interjections for all that: in one example, take him to the guy who is trying to sell you the planar sphere. Or take him to Renal and the Thief stronghold quest. Plenty to say.

Come TOB, Imoen has normal interjections.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968
    edited January 2014

Anyways I wasn't criticising Imoen. I was somewhat criticising the devs for giving Imoen nowhere near enough the content that she deserves. I mean precisely because she's been through so much (so has Charname), it would be nice to have the option of talk to her about it.

Apparently she wasn't even supposed to be in the game at first. They decided to fit her in at the last minute. And the original idea was to have her killed off at Spellhold, but her fans objected so they changed their mind about that. So they probably didn't have a lot of time to flesh out her dialogue after that point. Personally it doesn't bother me too much, sometimes I even find the banter between my party members annoying. "So shut up and just kill something already!" They seem to have this tendency to want to say something at the worst possible moment.

• MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    With social media we had back in 1999, how did the fans of Imoen managed to make so much noise? Or perhaps we are talking of friends and family of the devs :P Maybe the people was shouting at the desvs at the bars and streets of California.
    ^^ The internet existed then as well. I remember something called Netscape. Browser of choice! XD
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Netscape, pfffft, newfangled eye-candy cruft. I regularly used lynx! :)
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I got a lot of mileage out of Mosaic.
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    I used deely what we had back in 1999 and 2000 for commenting BG2 in Spanish, which wasn't much, but we had this magazine's forum. An that was cool. But I just remmember some few people argued she was a boring character, compared to BG1. Not much more talk about her. I don't know about the English speaking community.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Go to the docks with Yoshimo.
    Also download and install the banter pack and Imoen friendship mods!
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited February 2014
    I believe the new npcs actually have banter with Imoen post spellhold which is a pretty nice feature

Atleast I can certainly confirm Neera does I would imagine its the same for the others
  • FenghoangFenghoang Member Posts: 160
    Heindrich said:

There are quite a few banters between the NPCs and random NPCs/commoners - about one comment for each character per NPC-type (girl/boy/commoner/peasant/noblewoman/etc.). Just keep talking to the random NPCs (particularly the kids) and they'll come up - sometimes the area matters. Here are a few off the top of my head:

Mazzy gets tons of short jokes/comments.
    Nalia, Keldorn, and Anomen get a couple comments with the people in the Govt District.
    Viconia gets racist remarks. One of the Waukeen Promenade innkeepers would outright refuse service if you talk to her with Viccy.
    Jaheira gets an STD joke from one of the kids in the Slums.
    One of the peasants in the Slums want to eat Boo.
    Minsc gets stupid jokes.
    Keldorn gets knight comments.

• atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,250
    I always wanted to see Imoen comment on and tease the PC over their newfound love life. What would be more natural for a little sister to do!