Skip to content

so my friend is running pathfinder....what should i do?

Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
edited March 2014 in Off-Topic
as i've said above my friend steve is running a pathfinder, i've made my character a level 1 wizard spec necromancer with 15 HP (HA HA HA HA i still find that hilarious) its his first time DMing and we are going to have some people new to the game playing aswell and i offered to play mainly because i wanted to and i can help teach the game and basics of roleplaying to the new people so i have the following question:

do i be a troll or a d**k?

if i be a troll i could choose spells and feats to make the game very easy for me and maybe ruin my friends DMing session but help the new people out alot so they can learn the game.

or do i be a d**k and not help the players as much as i can making combat more difficult maybe scaring people away from D&D and other roleplaying games BUT it lets steve learn how to effectively DM a session.

wild card and leave it to the dice gods (neither troll nor d**K): this holds the risk of no one enjoying it as combat etc is just a bit too difficult to roleplay with, and the DM doesn't like it as the new players won't be enjoying themselves as much as he wants them to. HOWEVER i dont know what he is planning and how difficult this will be.

so troll, d**k, or wild card and leave it to the dice gods?
Post edited by LadyRhian on

Comments

• golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    Call me crazy, but how about choosing your spells and feats intelligently and playing well while also being neither a troll nor a dick? This has usually worked for me.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    i thought about that which is the wild card his spells are the following: all cantrips (because im a wizard) ray of enfeeblement, cause fear and mage armor, going for more of a control mage than the usual damage mage i play, i just get the feeling that im going to end up a troll or dick unintentionally i dont want to be one and im going to try not to, but i would like peoples opinions on if i do find myself becoming one or the other which is best? to have more DMs? or have more players?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2014
    BE A DICKY TROLL!!!
    It will be nice for you to watch your actions while in this wood, you should make everyone play 2E.

Play fine, but do something very, very funny.
    im not the DM and sadly i dont have the books and they are too expensive for me to collect, if someone could give me the PDFs ill gladly try and get people to play, i managed to find a monster manual in a charity shop but thats it
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @mrpenfold666 from the 2E? I have only the Player's Handbook as a PDF.
    edited January 2014
    @CrevsDaak yeah monster manual from 2E and if you dont mind sharing he PDF? ill love you forever... and i can use that as both incentive and a threat depending on your opinion on the matter :P
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I have All the Books. And I do mean "all". My geek cred pictures… let me show you them…

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    golingarf said:

Call me crazy, but how about choosing your spells and feats intelligently and playing well while also being neither a troll nor a dick? This has usually worked for me.

This is Pathfinder, "choosing intelligent" when it comes to Tier 1 classes can mean a lot of things depending on how well-meaning you are. From "intentionally planned out to have flaws and/or help party members shine" to "so ridiculously optimised it's better than every other class ay what the other class is supposed to do best".
  • golingarfgolingarf Member Posts: 157
    scriver said:

golingarf said:

This is Pathfinder, "choosing intelligent" when it comes to Tier 1 classes can mean a lot of things depending on how well-meaning you are. From "intentionally planned out to have flaws and/or help party members shine" to "so ridiculously optimised it's better than every other class ay what the other class is supposed to do best".
    Well, yes, I know that. That's why pathfinder should not be played - or at the very least why people playing pathfinder should play primary casters. There is no good reason, in-game or otherwise, to nerf you character by playing stupidly. If you want to talk to your DM about playing a blind wizard, okay, but I don't think you can justify casting the wrong spells when you know of better ones. I think it's preferable to let the other players know that they shouldn't make a fighter than to allow them to maintain the illusion that their character is worth something. You don't have to go crazy with feats and non-core material to do this - that's just icing on the cheesecake. A plain-and-simple wizard, cleric, or druid will stomp anything whose CR is below twice your level.
    sorry back! i was going to come on a while ago but work has been kicking my ass recently, im currently about to pass out from exhaustion and in i'm the middle of working 9 days straight working 43+ hours a week T_T in response to various posts: im jealous of the booksbut i have too many hobbies and cannot afford the books, ive just spent a lot of money buying all (or at least most) of the Warhammer roleplaying books and now im rambling so bed time, toodles i'll come back when im more....not dead