Skip to content

The Dwarven Defender, Quick Guide To Extraordinary Tanking

AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
When this new Fighter kit was introduced, roleplaying benefits put aside, I really wasn't impressed. Sure, I thought, this kit is fun, reminds me of Neverwinter Nights, but... You can't dual/multi class it since it (obviously) can't be Human and is a kit, meaning that you're stuck with a pure Fighter for the whole game. So, why pick this class only when one can be a Fighter/Mage and also cast spells?

Yes, yes, this kit didn't get any more concern from me than the infamous Wizard Slayer one. But after another of now several playthroughs I considered it again, thinking that it might just do something that no other class can do as well (or differently at best) and to good use!

The Dwarven Defender kit is all about Resistance.
It naturally gets 5% Resistance to all Physical Damage (Slashing, Piercing, Missile, Crushing) for every 5 levels to a maximum of 20% at level 20.
It can also temporarily increase this base Resistance by 50% for 1 turn (10 rounds or 60 seconds) with its unique Ability: Defensive Stance. Though it does halve its Movement Speed, it also reduces its already good Saves (thanks to the Dwarf bonus) by 2.
All benefits added, that would mean 55%-70% of Physical Damage Resistance for 1 turn.

Now, there are two problems with this Resistance.
1) It only covers a part of all Damage types, leaving:
- Elemental (Fire, Cold, Electrical, Acid, Poison)
- Magical
The engines also makes a distinction between Fire/Cold and Magical Fire/Cold but it doesn't seem to be used in game.
2) It's not 100%, which means it can still take Damage and die (which is what we must avoid to win).
What can be done about it?

So, here comes the Guide I so pompously promised and why I think the Dwarven Defender may be the true Tank some of us know and dreamt about.

For 1) Let's use a combination of adequate equipment to work on its weaknesses and build on its strengths:
- Armor, Aeger's hide +3: +15% Cold/Fire/Acid Resistance (sold by Ribald in the Waukeen's Promenade Adventurer's Mart)
- Weapon, Defender of Easthaven: +20% Resistance to Physical Damage except Missile (sold by Joluv in the Slums Copper Corronet for a base price of 30,000 GP)
- Boots, Talos's Gift: +50% Electrical Resistance (sold by Dawnmaster Kreel in the Temple District Temple of Lathander for a base price of 900)
- Belt, Belt of Inertial Barrier: +25% Resistance to Missile Damage, +50% Resistance to Magic Damage (sold by Merchant in Trademeet)
- Amulet, Periapt of Proof Against Poison: +100% Poison Resistance (on Adratha in the Druid Grove Cottage)
- Ring, Batalista's Report: +40% Fire Resistance (on Ruhk Transmuter in the Windspear Hills dungeon)
- Shield and Helmet, Dragon Scale Shield +2 and Dragon Helm: +25% Cold/Fire/Electrical Resistance each (found in King Strohm's tomb in the Windspear Hills dungeon)

For 2) Let's resort to healing items from this list:
- Potion of Extra Healing: restores 27 HP
- Potion of Regeneration: regenerates 2 HP/round for 3 (60 HP over 30 rounds)
- Ring of Regeneration: regenerates 1 HP/round (on Ribald in the Waukeen's Promenade Adventurer's Mart)
- Ring of Gaxx: regenerates 1 HP/3 seconds (also gives +100% Poison Resistance; on Kangaxx in one of the Docks building)

Please note that I only listed equipment that can be acquired very early (Chapter 1 and 2). Other Resistance items can be found later, though most of them aren't much better than the ones I mentioned.

It's also possible to increase Resistance or to heal the Dwarven Defender with spells.
On that subject, some of you may well still think that this kit has no use when Priests and Wizards can provide Resistance. But the huge advantage you may not see is that the Dwarven Defender Resistance is ability and item based, thus cannot be dispelled. Of course, you could always make your Wizard immune to dispel spells Abjuration school. All added though, it requires several casts for each Damage type and still lacks reliable options for Physical Damage type. On the other hand, the Dwarven Defender doesn't need extensive preparation or maintenance to shine!

And what about Hardiness? First of all, it doesn't stack with Defensive Stance in case you wondered. Second, it isn't available before 3,000,000 XP, roughly the end of Shadows of Amn for a party of six. The Dwarven Defender can use its ability right off the start and it gives 10% more Resistance.
So, yes, your Fighter/Cleric or Fighter/Mage/Cleric with Armor of Faith and Hardiness would eventually get to the same point but at a cost.

All accounted, what is the Resistance reached with this build?
- Slashing/Piercing/Crushing: 75%-90% (depending on level)
- Missile: 80%-95% (depending on level)
- Fire: 105%
- Electrical/Poison: 100%
- Cold: 65%
- Acid: 15%
- Magic: 50%

That still leaves much to be desired, I know!
But remember that among the Elemental type, Fire is the most important Resistance because more commonly used for damage (Fireball, Sunfire, Fireshield (Red), etc.). Electrical a bit less, Cold and Acid quite rarely. Magic is more troublesome because it's used by one of the most damaging spells: Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting.
The only way to further increase this Resistance is to consume a potion of Magic Shielding (+50%) but then it can be dispelled.
Another indirect way, that works for other Magical Resistances too would be to properly speaking increase your Magic Resistance. It would never reach high levels with items only though.

In previous versions of the game, damage dealt to a >100% Resistance character would actually heal it. It doesn't now. So, anything >100% doesn't give you additional benefits. You're just 'immune'.

I cannot conclude this quick guide without mentioning Saves and Armor Class.
Saves are most essential to this kit, because a successful Charm, Hold, Fear, Confusion, Death etc. on your main character often means 'reload'. To be safe, you would need 1 to all your Saves (not accounting for Saves reducing spells). Save vs. Spells is the most important because more frequently used. Fortunately, Dwarves get a racial bonus of 5 to Death, Wand, and Spell Saves for a Constitution of 18+.
To further increase these natural good Saves you have the Defensive Stance. Then, several items like Rings, Cloaks or Amulets of Protection. Spells also. Protection items (Ring of Gaxx excepted) cannot be worn if you already have magical Armor. That is why you should consider trading one for a Full Plate Mail for example.
Obviously, the better your Armor Class, the less chances there are you will be hit (critical hits always do) thus the less healing you'll need.

I hope I've given you enough interest if you had none in trying this new kit! I, for one, will most certainly choose it for my next playthrough. Truly the best thing about this game, you can always play it differently each time!
Post edited by Abel on

Comments

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Cloak of mirrors, roranch's horn both come to mind... Also the helm with 25 to all elements. Pick a dragon scale armor for the right element. :)
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    It's an interesting avenue to explore, granted. However, a Fighter/Cleric or Paladin with Hardiness & Armor of Faith will do as well or better in most instances at high level.

I really enjoyed playing a Dwarven Defender in BG1 - the Golem Cave left me very impressed. If you want to play a pure tank then go for it. They're not exactly a nuanced character class though.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    edited January 2014
    I approve of this thread. Dwarven Defenders are great, and it's definitely a good idea to try to maximize their resistances.

Another way to go is simply to have the lowest possible AC and the best possible healing and then have your cleric or mage buff you with the right resistances depending on the fight (or swap out items). If you go evil and pick up the silver dragon armor in ToB (it stacks with protection items, which may not be intentional), you can get to... I think... -18 or -19 AC with a shield. Enhanced Bard Song adds up to -22/-23. With Big Metal Unit of course you can get -24 effortlessly, but the silver dragon armor also gives you 2 HP every time you get hit and adds magic resistance.

Now I tested this with Korgan, and with -22 even ToB enemies have a hard time hitting you. You will get hit more than in SoA, but when you do get hit, you have your 70-90% damage resistance. depending on your mainhand.

Items to use:

Ring of Earth Control
    Cloak of the Sewers (there may be a -2 cloak somewhere, don't remember)
    Ring of Gaxx
    Silver dragon armor (Silver Dragon Scales perhaps? I forgot the name)
    Helm of Balduran
    Darksteel Shield/Sentinel Shield
    Wooden Horse Necklace (+2 protection)
    Defender or Easthaven MH (if you can hit with +3, or swap it for Axe of the Unyelding +5)

Now you have yourself a walking fortress. If they can hit him, he has 90% damage resistance. In SoA you can of course "only" get -21 AC, but that also frees up a necklace slot for other purposes.

I approve of this thread. Dwarven Defenders are great, and it's definitely a good idea to try to maximize their resistances.

Another way to go is simply to have the lowest possible AC and the best possible healing and then have your cleric or mage buff you with the right resistances depending on the fight (or swap out items). If you go evil and pick up the silver dragon armor in ToB (it stacks with protection items, which may not be intentional), you can get to... I think... -18 or -19 AC with a shield. Enhanced Bard Song adds up to -22/-23. With Big Metal Unit of course you can get -24 effortlessly, but the silver dragon armor also gives you 2 HP every time you get hit and adds magic resistance.

Now I tested this with Korgan, and with -22 even ToB enemies have a hard time hitting you. You will get hit more than in SoA, but when you do get hit, you have your 70-90% damage resistance. depending on your mainhand.

Items to use:

Ring of Earth Control
    Cloak of the Sewers (there may be a -2 cloak somewhere, don't remember)
    Ring of Gaxx
    Silver dragon armor (Silver Dragon Scales perhaps? I forgot the name)
    Helm of Balduran
    Darksteel Shield/Sentinel Shield
    Wooden Horse Necklace (+2 protection)
    Defender or Easthaven MH (if you can hit with +3, or swap it for Axe of the Unyelding +5)

Now you have yourself a walking fortress. If they can hit him, he has 90% damage resistance. In SoA you can of course "only" get -21 AC, but that also frees up a necklace slot for other purposes.

There is that -3 ring from the deck of many things and if you can use it the master Harper amulet I think gives a lot too.
    edited January 2014
    True, but then you miss out on the Ring of Gaxx or Earth Control so your AC won't actually be lower. Also means you won't be getting either the Star or Throne (can't remember which) and I'd rather have them.

The Amulet of the Master Harper gives a 3 AC bonus but can only be used by thieves and bards.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Good alignment will bring tasty resists...
    +10% vs Magic
    +20% vs Fire, Cold & Electricity
    +2 to all saving throws
    Immunity to normal & +1 weapons

But you will have to go to Hell and back to get them...
    But Berzerkers still win... nothing says Tank quite like Korgan laughing off Kangaxx's feeble attempts to imprison... Plus every other head-spinning effect in the game.

Wait until Mr DwaDef gets charmed and chunks Edwin mid-Time Stop...
    You mean the DD with saves in the negatives and most likely a Shield of Harmony for those special occasions? Yeah, they're going to get charmed all the time!
    edited January 2014

You mean the DD with saves in the negatives and most likely a Shield of Harmony for those special occasions? Yeah, they're going to get charmed all the time!

Fair enough. I'd still back the Berserker though. :p

Edit: Does the DD get any innate save bonuses (aside from being a high-Con-Dwarf I mean)?
    Post edited by abacus on
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    +2 to all saves whilst in defensive stance.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Why are you using the - Periapt of Proof Against Poison when the Ring of Gaxx (which you also appear to be using as a regen item but not listed in your gear) provides the same poison immunity?

With that slot you could boost your Magic Resistance up a bit more.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    kryptix said:

Cloak of mirrors, roranch's horn both come to mind... Also the helm with 25 to all elements. Pick a dragon scale armor for the right element. :)

@kryptix I mentioned the Helmet (see Helm of the Dragon). You're right about the items! I didn't mention them because:
    Abel said:

I only listed equipment that can be acquired very early (Chapter 1 and 2)

and I should add, quite easily (you don't need to slay a Dragon for example).
    Corvino said:

It's an interesting avenue to explore, granted. However, a Fighter/Cleric or Paladin with Hardiness & Armor of Faith will do as well or better in most instances at high level.

@Corvino I agree with you but the sentence I bolded says it all! With a party of six, you will only get there at the end of SoA, maybe a bit before. Same issue for dual-classing. What are you ready to sacrifice now for future power? The more I play, the less I want to wait for full power...
    decado said:

Why are you using the - Periapt of Proof Against Poison when the Ring of Gaxx (which you also appear to be using as a regen item but not listed in your gear) provides the same poison immunity?
    With that slot you could boost your Magic Resistance up a bit more.

@decado You're right! The Ring of Gaxx just earned a mention in the 2) section because I thought it was too difficult to get to be part of the simple build. However, as soon as you find it it should obviously replace the Periapt given all the added benefits it brings.

Based on your remarks, I will make a few edits to the original post. I also completely forgot to speak about Saves and AC (thanks to @abacus and @kaffekoppen), so I'm going to add a paragraph for that.
    edited January 2014
    @Abel: You say that dragon scale armor is not magical. Well, some of it is. It doesn't really make sense. Actually I think it's only the silver dragon scale that doesn't count as magical. To me it looks like they made a mistake and forgot to flag it as magical, but that's the way it is currently.

A fighter/cleric won't have as many HP, and their buff isn't permanent (and can be dispelled), nor does it let allow them to get more damage resistance (the DD special ability adds 50%, the normal HLA adds 40%). The DD special ability also frees up some slots for other abilities than Hardiness.

Finally, there's the small bonus from getting 4 pips in hammers or axes, as well as the ability to wield all weapons. It's not the biggest bonus ever, but it's something.

So I don't think fighter/cleric is superior to DD. I think it's a very good tank as well, with some more flexibility but higher maintenance.

On the other hand, I think barbarians are somewhat underpowered.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    @kaffekoppen I stand corrected. You're right, only Ankheg Plates aren't considered magical. I know this was intentionally modified for BGEE.

I agree with the rest of your comment :) !
    Actually, Fighter/Druid tanks better, it has Hardiness, Armor of Faith AND Ironskins :)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I kinda wanna make Kagain into one of these badboys.

Or you could just eeKeeper Yeslick into one in the first game, too. Between the kit and the cleric cast, you can basically play like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu0xbOJ6fFo
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    No defense against maze and imprison
    edited January 2014
    No. The point of the kit is to specialize in surviving heavy amounts of damage, and Maze and Imprisonment have nothing to do with damage at all. It's a different strategy for tanking than the standard (and, IMO, by now tiresome) fare of activating all the cheesy spells and being immune to everything, but it won't replace the need for special protection spells when facing demiliches and such.