Skip to content

Melf's Minute Meteors

Ok, this is probably a silly question, but how do I block these? I'm getting rather annoyed with enemy spellcasters (who ALWAYS have this spell pre-cast in SCS) interrupting Edwin (Who of course has a crap AC). I presume it's a physical attack with fire damage component? Do I need stoneskin + 100% fire res? Is there any easier way? Does spell turning fling it back?

Comments

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Neither because you still get interrupted by the fire. I think pfmw works though or keeping him back.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I've seen my own turned so that does seen like a way, though in my SCS game I really never saw a Mage pre cast with it. Maybe I had a different pre cast setting
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Improved mantle or PfMW should wirk. Also that Physical Mirror priest spell noone ever uses :)
    Improved Mantle will only work if you did nerf Melf's in your install by the way.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    Don't know how well it will work, but Haer'Dalis' captor has a 20% fire res robe, and Protection From Fire is worth 80%. Even if that does work, MMM grants high APR and will chew through Stoneskin fast.
    enqenq said:

Don't know how well it will work, but Haer'Dalis' captor has a 20% fire res robe, and Protection From Fire is worth 80%. Even if that does work, MMM grants high APR and will chew through Stoneskin fast.

One is Fire resist the other is fire damage resist which is different. Its easy enough to get to 100 fire resist but the "heal" from being immune also interupts your casting so thats pointless. I would just keep Edwin way back, melfs has shorter range than most spells.

• PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    kryptix said:

Improved Mantle will only work if you did nerf Melf's in your install by the way.

Reason being, in case anyone doesn't know, is that Melf's hit as a +5 weapon. When I'm running a sorceror, these are almost always on him (though I've never played SCS) so it doesn't surprise me that enemy mages will be using them a lot.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I recall that in base BG2 (non EE) Melf's Minute Meteors were contered by Spell Deflection or something like that. You know, spells and items that deflect opponents' cast spells back at them.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Spell turning reflects them.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited January 2014
    Mirror image also protects from meteors if you are lucky. You can increase Edwin's ac via spells like Spirit armor+Blur+Improved invisibility and items that grant ac bonus vs missiles. (Traveler's robe, girdle of piercing, boots of avoidance all stack) Have a melee character always very close to the enemy mage so the mage will have negative modifiers to his attack rolls while hurling the meteors.

Or just cast protection from magic weapons it will stop the minute meteors cold. Spell turning will reflect them. Minor globe of invulnerability stops the fire damage, but the missile piercing damage still hits:if you have stoneskin+minor globe of invulnerability you won't get spell disrupted until your stoneskins are gone.

Any scs mage worths its salt won't waste the meteors on Edwin if he is thusly protected, but will spellstrike/breach/remove magic on him first. :-)