Skip to content

Best Possible Shapeshifter?

I'm curious what the optimal shape changing build would be (doesn't have to be the shapeshifter kit). A couple disclaimers: I know they are suboptimal, I know they are better relying on spells or scimitars. However I'm curious what the best shape changing build would be.

Criteria:
1). Must be able to change form regularly (mage spells or druid abilities)
2). Must be able to fight as changed forms, and hit things (important)
3). Able to use forms for as much of the game as possible
4). Good amount of attacks/end game abilities.

Builds that look less likely:
Avenger: No attacks per round bonus. I don't think forms hit as magic weapons.
Fighter/Mage: 6 million xp before shape change is too late.
Pure Mage/Sorcerer: Similar to dual class, but less attacks per round
Berserker -> Druid: Fighter/Druid seems better except for the rage immunities.

Builds that look promising:
Fighter/Druid
Pros: HLA at 3 million xp, extra attacks per round, great thaco, fighter HLAs (whirlwind/crit strike)
Cons: Don't hit as magic weapons til HLAs.

Berserker -> Mage
Pros: Polymorph Flind hits as +3, extra attacks per round, most forms
Cons: Worse thaco (without tenser's), Users 9th level spell slot to transform

Shapeshifter
Pros: Werewolf forms help until HLAs (though still only hit as +2), descent thaco
Cons: No extra attacks per round

Any opinions on builds, gear that helps shape shifters, or experiences from people who have played them would be appreciated.

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited January 2014
    Avenger or sorcerer are the only options that don't suck. Sorc sounds most like what you are looking for.
  • Stasis_SwordStasis_Sword Member Posts: 91
    The problem with sorcerers/mages seems to be that without tenser's they can't hit anything (level 18 sorc as earth elemental had thaco of 15). Tenser's solves the thaco problem, but then prevents shifting between forms (even if you cast shapechange first).

Fighter -> Mage helps with APR, but doesn't solve the thaco problem.

Fighter/Mage solves the thaco problem and has max APR, but doesn't get shapechange (and ability to hit as +4) until 6 million xp (basically end of TOB).

Or should I just accept that shapeshifting will at best be an ancillary ability?
    edited January 2014
    A duel class Mage ain't going to be able to have many polymorphs and shapeshifts memorized.

Duel class Druid only (legally) gets worthless forms until HLAs.

Werewolf forms suck.

So go avenger. The forms are at least useful sometimes, thaco isn't too bad, and you can get HLAs that hit at +4.
  • VindsvalVindsval Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2014
    The Cleric/mage is a good shapeshifter, but very buff intensive. It's playable from the start.

at early/mid level : holy power + polymorph self. It solves your tacO issues, and the innate Apr of each form is sufficient for most enemies.

The most important : holy power, unlike tenser, don't disable your abilities nor your spellcasting.
    When it gets tough, add righteous magic. At the begining, the ogre form will be devastating with righteous magic. The spider don't really need it (low physical damage). The flind is good with its +3 hallberd, and can easily kill trolls.

You can pre-buff with what you like (fire/cold shield, ghost armor, mirror image, IH...), and add nasty sequencers to the mix while you are polymorphed. A humble DUHM/whatever can help.

At high levels, well... shapechange/righteous magic is brutal. The golem strikes very hard, is immune to magic, and werewolf/regenerate is nearly indestructible.

And when you are bored with all your shapechanging, you can freely go full caster.

Soloed the game until mid-tob, when i get bored for some reasons. It was mostly a breeze.
    edited January 2014
    But if you don't solo, a Cleric/Mage multi won't get Shapechange until very late in ToB. I suspect a cleric of Helm kit dualed to Mage can use their sword power when shapeshifted though, which would be very powerful, as well as dispelling creature weapons.

If you aren't bothered about getting Shapechange spell, the Skald kit is worth a look.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited January 2014

Builds that look less likely:
    Avenger: No attacks per round bonus. I don't think forms hit as magic weapons.
    Fighter/Mage: 6 million xp before shape change is too late.
    Pure Mage/Sorcerer: Similar to dual class, but less attacks per round
    Berserker -> Druid: Fighter/Druid seems better except for the rage immunities.

Builds that look promising:
    Fighter/Druid
    Pros: HLA at 3 million xp, extra attacks per round, great thaco, fighter HLAs (whirlwind/crit strike)
    Cons: Don't hit as magic weapons til HLAs.

Every druid shapeshift (wolf, bears, werewolf, greater werewolf) hit as though they are at least a +1 weapon. In the case of the brown bear and werewolf/greater werewolf they hit as though they had +2 weapons (just when it comes to determining what they can hit) and salamander's (Avengers) hit as though they were using a +3 weapon.
    @Vindsval - Thanks for that very interesting idea. As Fardragon said my main concern would be that with a party 6 million xp for shapechange would come very late in TOB. I quickly tested a dual priest -> mage, but holy power is based on cleric levels so it doesn't scale.

@Fardragon yeah the only reason I'm hung up on shapechange/HLAs is the +4 to hit. I don't like the idea of the form being useless against enemies. I tried you priest -> mage dual and you were correct you can use the sword power while shifted. Sword spider with multiple 2D4 attacks is impressive, but the effect is rather short-lived.

@Eleminster thanks for another insightful response. If brown bear has the same to hit bonus as a greater werewolf that definitely makes fighter/druid look more appealing. Salamander hitting as a +3 really helps the avenger's case.

I think these are my two finalist at this point.
    Fighter/Druid
    Cons: Can only hit as a +2 til HLAs, Only basic forms

Avenger:
    Pros: HLA at 3 million xp, can hit as a +3, additional forms
    Cons: Lower APR, no fighter HLAs
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I'd recommend against Fighter/Druid multis really. The slow levelling Druids from 12 to 15 is annoying as a single class, and downright agonising as a multi. You'll also won't really gain the benefits of fighter levels if you're shapeshifted most of the time - you take on the stats and APR of the animal form.

A Fighter/Berserker->Druid dual is far less painful. You still get good THAC0 and APR even with a level 7 or 9 dual due to grandmastery. Due to rapid druid levelling at levels 1 to 10 downtime is also minimal.
  • DeriloreDerilore Member Posts: 44
    IMO Mage is the best. Preferably a dual class so start as a fighter or thief then dual at lvl 9-13.

The polymorph self spell is very good. Here is the trick load a sequencer with chill touch and a strength spell. This allows you to use any weapon in spider form with 5 attacks. I believe you can improved haste and hit 10. So it's pretty sweet.

As you lvl then you get lvl 9 shapechange and the golem hits like a truck and is +4.

I believe you can backstab with the golem as well if you dual from thief.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited January 2014
    Corvino said:

I'd recommend against Fighter/Druid multis really. The slow levelling Druids from 12 to 15 is annoying as a single class, and downright agonising as a multi. You'll also won't really gain the benefits of fighter levels if you're shapeshifted most of the time - you take on the stats and APR of the animal form.

You'll benefit from the APR given from fighter levels 7 and 13. So for instance a brown bear form as a level 13 fighter will have 4 APR (3 from the bear form and 1 from your fighter levels). You'll also keep the extra health you get (for being a fighter with high constitution).
    edited January 2014
    The thing with fighter Druids is you will almost always do more damage and have a better armour class in human form than in bear form, so shapeshifting is pretty redundant. You just have to have Jalhera in the party to see that.

At least with avenger forms and polymorph spells you have utility forms.

As for the Helm cleric, what level did you dual at? The sword lasts 1 round per level, so you would need a good 10 levels for it to be useful.

Another option might be to start as an avenger then dual to fighter once you get to level 7 (I think that is when you get the forms). That would give you your shapeshifting fighter. You will need a strength tome.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    edited January 2014
    @Corvino - I agree that berserker -> druid like berserker/kensai -> mage is a great build. However I'm focusing on the best shapeshifter, rather than the best character that can shapeshift. As eleminster mentioned fighter APR carries over and so does thaco. Also druid elemental forms don't require top level spell slots so a fighter/druid gets its HLA forms at the same time a single class druid.

@Derilore - How did your thaco hold up at higher levels? Also yes thief->mages can backstab as golems.

@Fardragon - You're sadly correct that the fighter/druid will almost certainly be more powerful unshifted (although Jaheria is actually more powerful in bear form until +3 weapons or belm). Yeah avenger -> fighter is pretty good if I'm willing to give up HLA forms.

I also read in a discussion (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/49835244) that there are only 6 enemies that require a +4 or better to hit in an unmodded game, is that right?

1) Kangaxx the demilich
    2) the other demilich in Watcher's Keep
    3) the demon lord in the Underdark
    4) Demogorgon
    5) the Ravager
    6) Melissan

• VindsvalVindsval Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2014

I also read in a discussion (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/49835244) that there are only 6 enemies that require a +4 or better to hit in an unmodded game, is that right?

1) Kangaxx the demilich
    2) the other demilich in Watcher's Keep
    3) the demon lord in the Underdark
    4) Demogorgon
    5) the Ravager
    6) Melissan

There is also, at least in vanilla TOB :

The Aurumach Rilmani, at the botom of watcher keep

So after several test characters and feedback from several of you I’ve come to the conclusion shape shifters have the same early game late game tradeoffs that most other builds have.

Best End Game:
    Fighter/Mage
    Pros: 0 Thaco, extra attack per round, most forms, fighter HLAs, mage buffs
    Cons: Shape change is not available until very late (6 million xp)

Best Mid Game:
    Fighter/Druid
    Pros: 0 Thaco, extra attack per round, fighter HLAs, natural ability
    Cons: Stuck as a brown bear until HLAs

Fighter -> Mage
    Pros: Extra 1/2-1 attacks per round, fighter kit abilities, most forms, mage buffs
    Cons: Thaco could be better, shifting slightly later

Best Early Game:
    Avenger
    Pros: More forms than normal druids, salamander hits as +3, natural ability
    Cons: No extra APR

At this point I think the avenger and fighter->mage are probably the best choice assuming you want to enjoy being a shifter in SOA. I personally prefer the berserker/kensai -> mage for greater diversity of forms, mage buffs and additional kit abilities. If you're willing to dual early (and read lots of scrolls) you can even transform right after the first dungeon.
    Fighter Mage dual works well. Thaco isn't an issue. But I tend to use the answerer with 10 attacks per round so enemy thaco goes down very quickly. Along with their MR.

You can really use any fighter kit. Dual at lvl 9 for HP as number of attacks from the fighter are irrelevant. You'll always have 10 apr with Imp haste. 5 without which is still huge.

With tensers you easily have 300+ hp. Add in the other Mage buffs and you pretty much become a monster.

You can also rock staff of the magi for dispels on hit.
    Derilore said:

Fighter Mage dual works well. Thaco isn't an issue. But I tend to use the answerer with 10 attacks per round so enemy thaco goes down very quickly. Along with their MR.

You can really use any fighter kit. Dual at lvl 9 for HP as number of attacks from the fighter are irrelevant. You'll always have 10 apr with Imp haste. 5 without which is still huge.

With tensers you easily have 300+ hp. Add in the other Mage buffs and you pretty much become a monster.

You can also rock staff of the magi for dispels on hit.

Remember I'm trying to play shifted so 10 APR is unlikely for an iron golem. However your right fighter mage duals are awesome.
    Golem would only have like 4-5 attacks with haste but spider form is always 5 attacks without haste and 10 attacks hasten with any weapon.
    Mind flayer will also destroy just about everything with just a couple hits.
    Derilore said:

Mind flayer will also destroy just about everything with just a couple hits.

Yeah but I hear you lose out on the xp
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Ah, the price of special dietary requirements…
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    You should actually gain a share of the XP of the creature who's brain you devour!
    Well in a way it's soo easy to do that you can't gain any real experience from the fight hence no exp.
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    this thread makes me want to start a new game with an avenger, even though i already have 6 playthroughs active already..
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited January 2014
    i think it's better to say the less worst shapeshifter, coze for me they are all plain bad, I think Avenger is the best deal because of the frost salamander and those arcane spell you get, any shapeshifter dual or multi with a fighter is completely useless because a fighter is much stronger.

Do you plan to solo? As I see it a multi fight/druid is only worth if you don't have more than 2 characters in your party.

You can't tank much while shape-shifting your ac is to high, taco not good enough and you will get killed very quickly, if you have to choose one, the frost salamander is the less shitty imo because you can deal cold damage as you get hit.

Werewolf shapeshifting isn't good because your taco is so bad which doesn't make any sense, any decent human being would prefer to engage melee against a fighter than a werewolf, I mean dah it's a fuckin werewolf... But in baldur's gate no, a werewolf is like a big teddy bear landing a successful hit on a 1/5 ratio
    Post edited by ifupauline on

I'm curious what the optimal shape changing build would be (doesn't have to be the shapeshifter kit). A couple disclaimers: I know they are suboptimal, I know they are better relying on spells or scimitars. However I'm curious what the best shape changing build would be.

@ifupauline I'm not going disagree with you that all these builds could be done better with a traditional setup. Berserker/Kensai -> Mage has much better things to do than transforming into a Flind. However I find the idea intriguing and unfortunately most shapeshifting discussions stop at "they suck don't bother", instead of looking at what they can do. One thing I've learned from "challenge" or "sub-optimal" play throughs of other games is that it causes you to see the game differently and appreciate different aspects.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405

@ifupauline I'm not going disagree with you that all these builds could be done better with a traditional setup. Berserker/Kensai -> Mage has much better things to do than transforming into a Flind. However I find the idea intriguing and unfortunately most shapeshifting discussions stop at "they suck don't bother", instead of looking at what they can do. One thing I've learned from "challenge" or "sub-optimal" play throughs of other games is that it causes you to see the game differently and appreciate different aspects.
    I totally agree you know druid is one of my favorite class, though i still gave you an answer for the best shapeshifter, Avenger ;)