Skip to content

I really don't want to play Imoen

MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
Like many, who enjoyed her in BG1, I find boring to use her as a caster and her company doesn't give me as much as others. Right now for me is between her or Korgan. Thing is, in my next playtrough. I'll be a paladin and there is no room for him. In the one I have planed after that one, I'll have Dorn. This is my only chance to use Korgan in years and I like him. And I don't really want to take Imoen.

But I feel I have to. Do I really need her to finish the game? Is she s mandatory in ToB? Am I missing something.

Even bolder. Can she die in Spellhound and not worry about her anymore? I mean, I know she can "die", but is there consecuencies or do I miss fun later on?

Comments

• MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    She is not mandatory at all. All you miss out on from not taking her are her assorted dialogues and comments, the same as you'd miss from not bringing any character.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I either ignore her or kill her and pretend she 'died in Spellhold'
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    edited January 2014
    So my fear is that her comments and dialogues would contain esencial information for the main plot, all that Irenicus and Bhaal stuff. Or not esencial but relevant.
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    Basically the only difference is when you see Bodhi again she says "I don't see Imoen with you, has she died already?" or something to that effect. You can still summon her back once you get to Hell and nothing happens.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741

So my fear is that her comments and dialogues would contain esencial information for the main plot, all that Irenicus and Bhaal stuff. Or not esencial but relevant.

Her thief skills are actually high enough for you to use her to backstab sometimes especially with mislead... Also using spell invis to disarm traps is better than using hide since you can do both.

Additionally, Korgan doesn't conflict with good characters, because he doesn't do anything overtly evil, he's just a contract killer without a conscience, but you do so much killing anyway that the good characters don't really mind. Therefore you can take him on your good playthrough. Dorn you can't.

The only possible conflict I remember is that Korgan picks on Aerie if they're together before she grows a backbone (which only really happens by completing the romance).

Also Korgan and Mazzy have a thing for each other.
    Btw, never played ToB. When you summon somebody, they level up by themselves? Like the xp change between BG1 and SoA?

Btw, never played ToB. When you summon somebody, they level up by themselves? Like the xp change between BG1 and SoA?

Yeah they come in at 2.5M exp.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    in ToB at the very end of the game, if you have imoen with you, there is slightly different dialogue with the solar, but other than that, you aren't missing anything in ToB if you don't have her
    There is a solar at the end??????? Arrrghghhhh, spoiler!!!

Btw, is the same solar of the end of Torment? :P
  • RaltarRaltar Member Posts: 35
    kryptix said:

Additionally, Korgan doesn't conflict with good characters, because he doesn't do anything overtly evil, he's just a contract killer without a conscience, but you do so much killing anyway that the good characters don't really mind.

But Korgan will still leave at rep higher than 18 rep, just like all evil NPCs. But yeah, there is no Minsc/Edwin, Keldorn/Viconia type conflict where they will battle each other.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I'd recommend having her in Throne of Bhaal (and installing the Imoen Friendship Mod) but no single NPC is "essential" to the story, though I do think she adds some flavor in Throne of Bhaal.

btw, she has far more interaction and banters in ToB
    That's what I wanted to know. Damn, difficult decision. Btw, no modding for me. iPad user here.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    ah. Even without mods she has more interactions, and some nice very ones with a secret TOB-only NPC (if you don't know the identity of this NPC I don't want to give it away... but I may actually save some room for this character too)
  • RaltarRaltar Member Posts: 35
    I would certainly play through with Imoen and the TOB NPC in the party at least once. There is a lot of good stuff there, as booinyoureyes says.
    Raltar said:

kryptix said:

Additionally, Korgan doesn't conflict with good characters, because he doesn't do anything overtly evil, he's just a contract killer without a conscience, but you do so much killing anyway that the good characters don't really mind.

But Korgan will still leave at rep higher than 18 rep, just like all evil NPCs. But yeah, there is no Minsc/Edwin, Keldorn/Viconia type conflict where they will battle each other.

No one leaves in TOB with 20 rep, and you will only have 18 rep after chapter 2 if you do everything "good" except you hold the lady and collect her ransom for the silver pantaloons. Then you have slayer form so you can just pop that twice before the end and you never hit 19 and lose people. After you get to TOB you can just go straight to 20.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    I never cared for imoen. Good riddance is you ask me.

korgan is awesome and so funny.
  • kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    I used to think you should always take Imoen with you but you really don't. I don't think there's a single advantage other than banter, and other characters have that too and more of it in SoA. It's also *extremely* annoying that she will be behind on XP by quite a bit. For that reason alone I'd rather take Nalia if I wanted a good-aligned mage.

I used to think you should always take Imoen with you but you really don't. I don't think there's a single advantage other than banter, and other characters have that too and more of it in SoA. It's also *extremely* annoying that she will be behind on XP by quite a bit. For that reason alone I'd rather take Nalia if I wanted a good-aligned mage.

Nalia can be a bit self righteous in TOB though... I would occaisionally keeper imoen to slightly different combinations though to make things interesting... I might make her a 21 assassin dual one of these times.
  • FatalApocalypseFatalApocalypse Member Posts: 66
    The only thing Imoen is good at is being annoying and the only thing you're gonna miss if you throw her out is having a sissy teen girl in your squad. In other words; slash her out and don't ever think about it again lol
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    In the first dungeon after she opens my cage, if I don't plan on using her I send her off to fight mephits by herself until she loses all health and runs away (she can't die and will meet you outside for her little cut scene with Jon). :P