Skip to content

Life is (mostly) pain for Charname (romantically speaking)

2»

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    This is a similar problem in many Bioware games, and is probably part of why they're trying to tread a thinner and thinner line between defined character and player avatar. Take Mass Effect 2, for example, where only the Jacob romance actually contains a dialogue where Shepard gets to talk about how she's feeling,, but I guess that makes some sense since Jacob is, to a significant degree, fairly issue-less. The thing with his dad is basically a blip. The other romances by contrast are very very focused on the NPCs and their issues.
    element
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    @Twani

Hey! I love Aerie, and I like Anomen too! :P I thought the sadness in my voice was pretty clear when Abazigal roasted him. lol

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    I actually find a few of the Mass Effect romances to have done a fair job at keeping away from therapy sessions. I've watched each of them, despite only having played Tali in my many playthroughs. I won't say they were perfect with each, but I never felt Tali so much turning the dialogues into a therapy session for me to help her through. Each of the characters did have a loyalty mission though, so she did have her problem I helped with. Even with her father's death and potential exile, I would say she took things extremely well. I can't really think of a moment where Tali played therapist for Shepard until ME3 though, where each of the characters were more trying to reassure Shepard about the war, for all that did in the end.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421

Aerie is awesome

@tennisgolfboll

lol We can agree on something! It is possible!

You probably think she's awesome for totally different reasons though, but meh... I'll take it!XD

Aerie is so damn cute. And I have a thing for cute girls. And she becomes a loving badass if you romance her to the end, both story and gameplay wise.
    HeindrichMoczo
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I think Neeras romance in the BG2EE is pretty straight forward she doesn't have any huge hang ups besides commitment issues but that's not exactly a huge deal and the development of her romance is pretty casual for the most part the scenes were she gets a drink with you In an Inn was a particularly nice change of pace compared the other romances

This is a similar problem in many Bioware games, and is probably part of why they're trying to tread a thinner and thinner line between defined character and player avatar. Take Mass Effect 2, for example, where only the Jacob romance actually contains a dialogue where Shepard gets to talk about how she's feeling,, but I guess that makes some sense since Jacob is, to a significant degree, fairly issue-less. The thing with his dad is basically a blip. The other romances by contrast are very very focused on the NPCs and their issues.

that was actualy one thing I liked about the lair of the shadow broker dlc as the last dialogue basicly involves liara asking about shepards welfare and thoughts on the matter which to me was one of the best scenes in the series with or without romance
    Thrasymachus
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    I agree, romancing Neera is quite pleasant so far. Though she is not as good in bed as Vikki is.
    Nope.
    Perhaps she just needs to have one of those Wild Surges of hers...hmmm. Need to check that list again...

Seriously, she doesn't seem to have any real hang-ups, and no real need of being "fixed", so to speak. Of course, she does have that quirky Wild Surge thing - which, I suppose, makes up for it.

*Wild Surge*
    "Neera, NOW is not a good time for that demonic summons...", gesturing at Firkraag.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    Aerie is not a whiner. Aerie was enslaved when trying to save a child. She was then out on display as a circus animal, treated so badly they amputated he wings with rusty blades. Nearly died and find her way back at a young age without her real parents. She then fights for charname and has his son. She finds great strength.

Hell even korgan says so in tob.

she is also the only pure woman in the game. Jaheira has sex on the corpse of khalid, and viconia...well need i say more?

• NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

she is also the only pure woman in the game. Jaheira has sex on the corpse of khalid, and viconia...well need i say more?

Jaheira never "has sex on the corpse of Khalid." It's more like, "bawls her eyes out and screams a thousand curses on Irenicus because he just killed and tortured her husband." I think what you mean is that she'd been intimate with Khalid when he was alive, correct?
    jackjack
    Lol yeah i mean her husband was killed 6 weeks ago and now she is charnames prostitute.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i think i've said it before, but I feel the length of game time it takes for the romances makes all the romances feel bad and too quick. I imagine the adventure takes place over a longer amount of time myself.
    jackjack
    edited January 2014

Aerie is not a whiner. Aerie was enslaved when trying to save a child. She was then out on display as a circus animal, treated so badly they amputated he wings with rusty blades. Nearly died and find her way back at a young age without her real parents. She then fights for charname and has his son. She finds great strength.

Hell even korgan says so in tob.

@tennisgolfboll
    I actually agree with everything you say about Aerie. But why did u have to include that last line...

Lol yeah i mean her husband was killed 6 weeks ago and now she is charnames prostitute.

I have watched through Jaheira's romance, I don't recall an exchange of coin.
    Moczojackjack
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Prostitute would imply that she charges money. ;) But I see your point.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Anomen is just terrible on his own. Maybe not so bad with Keldorn holding his leash, but he single handedly made me dump my fem fighter/Mage rather than put up with him.
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2014
    I'm sort of going to bristle at Jaheria being called...that...but each to their own. That was my very first Bioware romance so I'm sort of still slightly fangirly over her. A lot happens in its duration so *shuts up before she gets started, lol*

Anomen is...an interesting character. Much like Aerie, he seems to have a pretty bad run of things. Not really on the captured whilst saving a small child, unable to go home and mutilated wavelength, but pretty bad. Ano was born into wealth, had all of that pretty much taken away when he wished to be a knight and his abusive, drunkard father wouldn't support him. Then he had to work his way his way up (somewhat illegally, given his character levels and default wisdom score) from the bottom, battling with his inner demons trying to live up to that ideal depiction of righteousness he likes so much. And envies, given his attacks on charname's accomplishments, his dismissiveness over Keldorn and chasing Aeries if he flunks his test.

Granted, I will admit I find Anomen a pompous, sexist arse with as much charisma and humour (aside from when Jan is the one laughing at him) as a baseball bat - hence making my first character male, lol. But even so, personally I find Aerie and Anomen the most interesting from a character standpoint, flaws and all. As you don't necessarily have to like someone to make them interesting and/ or realistic, after all, and they're both too darned useful as npcs.
    Heindrich
    edited February 2014
    I just like aerie better than jaheira (whom is very well written to but i have a problem with the khalid triangle)

i sometimes spike my messages to show how much more i like on char over another. But i might still very much like the bashed one. Just that it is dwarfed by the competition
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I never found Aerie whiney, but perhaps that's just me. I mean she complains when tired, as does every NPC ,and is afraid of the underdark even though she is a high level caster. However I like her personality, she is sweet and somewhat innocent despite her past.

Anomen I hated, all he did was brag of his accomplishments, and act as if I couldn't have beaten a single gibberlings on my own. I therefore tossed him out of my party every playthrough, until this one. I thought, what the heck play it out with him, and he actualy got better, he became a decent guy. He even apologized both to me and Keldorn, though I think he still owes one to Mazzy as well.

The point is to give these characters a break, they are both well written and worth sticking with.
    Heindrich
    @Delvarian

Yes! Exactly! I had the exact same experience with Anomen. Started off really disliking him, and rather fittingly he fought Charname twice in Spellhold, once when he got dominated by a Mindflayer, and once when Charname turned into the Slayer.

But over time he really grew on me. Being an OP Fighter=>Cleric helped, lol.
    jackjackDelvarian
  • CoutelierCoutelier Member Posts: 1,282
    Delvarian said:

I never found Aerie whiney, but perhaps that's just me. I mean she complains when tired, as does every NPC ,and is afraid of the underdark even though she is a high level caster. However I like her personality, she is sweet and somewhat innocent despite her past.

Avariel are supposed to all be a bit claustrophobic, although Aerie obviously she isn't really that bad; she might feel uncomfortable in those, but so long as there are people around she knows and trusts and a quest to focus her attention on she manages just fine.

With Aerie it's quite easy to look and see that some of the memes about her, like constantly whining about her wings, are not actually true. Whereas with Anomen, he does actually brag and does come across very arrogant, but I think when you know all about his past you, or I at least do, understand it all and kind of forgive him for it.

Delvarian
  • LesseLesse Member Posts: 81
    Unfortunately as the poor gal was trapped in a cage for so long that claustrophobia's probably been confronted. And not in too much of a kind and not-cruel way. I'm guessing a lot would be repressed and detached for her by that point >.>/

Well, Anomen I guess the bragging is *all* he has. He doesn't have his father (uh huh, I know - daddy issues) saying he did well. Heck, with dual classing with illegal stats I like to think that reflects on the game that he didn't get much respect between the other squires/ knights, plus his somewhat toxic personality. I like to think of him as a bit like Rimmer from Red Dwarf. He likes to come across like he thinks he's marvellous, but it's a cover for deep insecurities and he actually despises himself the most.

Moczo