Skip to content

What is the backstory behind your main character's name?

My PC is called Tethoril. Originally, it was just out of laziness and Tethtoril sounded like such a good name when I first played through the game. So I roleplayed that Tethtoril was actually one of my PC's main tutors, with Gorion and so on, and therefore Gorion named my PC after him.

But then I started writing a fanfiction and decided to embelish this a little more to make it more believable. Tethtoril actually had a son roughly 40-50 years before the events of the Baldur's Gate series, called Tethoril (similar in the Tolkien fashion of having bloodlines with similar names, such as Theoden, Theodred, Eowyn, Eomer and so on). This child died in a series of events, again made up to introduce the reader more to Gorion and Tethtoril (as there's not too much that you find out about them so early on, which is a shame as they're very interesting characters in lore).

I created the event that the book we see within the whole Bhaalspawn saga is actually a book with notes on where the Bhaalyns operate, as they are very secretive. So I had Gorion, Tethtoril and his son, Tethoril, hunting down some Bhaalyns within Netherese ruins in the Anauroch Desert (solely because I love the Netheril). During this escapade, they awaken an ancient Netherese lich. The lich then kills Tethoril before he can escape, but Gorion and Tethtoril manage to get the book.

After these events (around 1348DR) I had Gorion name his ward after Tethoril, son of Tethtoril, to honour his memory. There are some poetic elements in there too which are great to write about.

But, how did you decide upon the name for your main character(s)?

(I hope Gorion wasn't just a lazy sod and looked through a Candlekeep list of baby names XD)

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    I usually take my chars' names from either the original model, title, or artist of a portrait. If I don't have such an obvious source for a name, I drive myself crazy trying to come up with one on my own, LOL.

Right now, my char's name is Alina, because the portrait is based on an image of Alina Vacariu drawing a bow (thanks to Synta13, IIRC).

• KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Priest of Talos: Kono The Red. He's a very hands on battlepriest (always tank/melee only, no puny slings) and has red hair. I was so delighted to see the new portraits in BG1EE - the last one of the warrior with the red hair and beard is how I always pictured him.

Assassin: Treske Aijnissarim. My second-created charname in BG2, after giving up the first one when I realized there was no evil thief for my party (and Xzar and Monty could not be recruited). Named soley for rp reasons to mock Edwin's introduction about syllables. Such a beginner.

Jester: Nicht/Not Cathigheri (nicht = German for "not"), just for the pun of introducting himself as "I'm not Cathigheri". He has a "real" first name, which he doesn't use since leaving Candlekeep, and his last name is made up, too - he wants to shake off the ties to his former life and uses a foreign sounding name to confuse people (and sometimes switches to a new last name, too).
  • FatalApocalypseFatalApocalypse Member Posts: 66

My name is Fatal. My last name is If Swallowed. Need more details ? lol
  • abbadabaabbadaba Member Posts: 21
    Just finished the saga with an elf swashbuckler named Ladril. I used to play a relatively simple tabletop "RPG" called Hero Quest with my dad and sister when I was a kid. There was an elf fighter character named Ladril in the lore/story section of the manual.

My black pits character is a half-elf fighter/mage named Aria after my newborn daughter.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    abbadaba said:

I used to play a relatively simple tabletop "RPG" called Hero Quest with my dad and sister when I was a kid.

Wow, that just brought back memories!
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Lately I've been playing a few female characters and I've named them after blades (famous and generic). Curtana, Joyeuse, Durendal, and Kris are the most recent.
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    edited January 2014
    Greenway is a C/T that could have been a ranger if he had been exposed to the right teacher. Instead he grows up without a mentor he can relate to and basically goes by rote through his training, bored and unsatisfied, until one day...

He is named after a Minnesota Vikings LB, Chad Greenway---always liked that name :)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Mitchfork for some reason I've read Durandal, but I don't think you've named her in memory of Marathon 2's main AI.
    @Wolk Aurora means dawn in spanish :P watch out for funny folk that talks spanish :D I think that name fits much more a Bard than a Shadowdancer :P And if your B->C is female add the Darth title to her :)

(this list was reduced just to "Best of PCs")

My first PC Crevs Daak has his name originated on Crev'Sindri Dak'Huinar (myself :D), so... He is an elven M/T looking for answers, he is CG and goes for out everything without getting back, fearless, daring, with low STR and CON (he is supposed to be a REALLY old Elf, but the fucking ToB dialogs broke my fantasy).

Then I had a PC named Jimmy (in memory of Jimi Hendrix, I've exported him in a CHR file named HENDRIX if it wasn't evident enough :P), an elven F/M totally daring and looking to change the world for good, his good or others good, I made a mistake and created him as CG, but he should have been NG.

Then, a human swashbuckler->mage, female named Sarilien, miswritten as Sarlien, chaotic good.

Female, Neutral Evil, Valhalla (a Valkyrie! :D I've miswrote her name as Valhala :P), killing everyone without help in BG1, she took NPCs because someone had to protect her from mages, she gets wiser from 1 to 2.

As'Ardan'Tysram, a wild mage/thief, Quasit, totally insane Chaotic Evil jerk, his gender is: neither :P.

Darhaina, chaotic Evil half elf Kensai/Assassin/Conjurer, an evil woman with evil purposes, in a ultra modded vanilla run, she is going to rule over The Abyss, Baator and The Nine Hells together without any clothes! (she is a Kensai, but she is nudist too :P).
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I just use my own name because my ingame main character (if male) is a representation of me. Apparently this makes me a "bad" roleplayer according to "proper" roleplayers, but I don't give a damn as long as I have fun, which is what games are all about :)

Since I name my save game files for the character and I don't want it to be confusing I've added "Sir" to my blackguard's name. Now that I'm giving bard a proper spin for the first time (I rolled a total of 95 which I feel a bit compelled to play with) I couldn't think of a proper prefix title for that though so I went with the last name I usually use in RPGs: Silverstar. I think it kind of works as a bardic nickname.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited January 2014
    I translate a word that describes their character into Greek.
    My Female Undead Hunter Paladin who I beat the first game with was named Timea which means "Honor" (it actually started as Buffy, but I couldn't take it seriously...)
    My male Ranger was named Dassos, which means "Forest"
    My male Blade is named Ergo, which means "Play" or "Work of Art". I then changed it to Korvin, which I used to represent Khoro (Xwpo), the Greek word for "dance"

Now for last name:
    Gorionson

It is an ode to the character's father, Gorion. I always thought it was a fitting tribute.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited January 2014
    Jack-Jack Romani is a Gypsy of the Sword Coast who was tragically locked up in Candlekeep for years by a maniacal old coot who wanted nothing more than to squash his wanderlust like a bug.
    I just used the name my Gypsy brethren in House Romani gave me in real life five years ago. Boring, I know.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    The original Shin was a character I made up for a MUD I used to play back in the 90s. He was originally a vampire (and admittedly a bit of a mary-sue - dark and brooding character with a chaotic/restless streak and special eyes) based partially on Lestat from Anne Rice's vampire chronicles and partially on the character Gambit from the X-Men in that he was part bard/poet/psionicist and part thief. It ended up being a character concept I liked so much I've essentially stuck to it in games since then - the times and the settings obviously change, but the core character concept and the name tend to be the same, unless the game already provides a name and a bit of a background for you, like the Mass Effect series.

Since then I've incorporated a few more influences into the Shin concept, mostly from the Naruto and Code Geass animes - and as I have personally grown a bit older and hopefully wiser in the years since, my characters also tend to be a bit more cerebral and less physical, leaning more towards caster types.
    edited January 2014
    ^Alucard backwards....
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited January 2014
    When I started working on my fanfiction based on BGEE, I wanted my canon Charname to have a name that is not exactly common. The name Ralis popped into my head from a vague memory of my times playing The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. Ralis is the name of the Zora prince, and Rutela, my main character's surname comes from the name of the Zora prince's mother from the game. Zoras are my most favorite race in the Legend of Zelda games, by the way. I haven't played Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess in years, so I'm surprised I recalled the names of those characters.
    Post edited by BladeDancer on
    Wolk said:

My female 1/2 orc F/T was called Therkla, in honnor of the 1/2 orc ninja in the Order of the Stick comic (i discovered that comic thanks to this forum! but I discovered it during my finals, which was bad..) so she is a ninja like character that surrounds herself with high charisma low intel bards! (I enjoyed that playthrough a lot, I managed to make Garrick really usefull some times!)

This is why this forum is amazing.
    Flashburn said:

He counted as a large creature and such had trouble fitting through doorways, which led to doors becoming my Favored Enemy. I try to destroy doors in any game I play, if its possible to do it.

We need more like you rofl

• CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    edited January 2014
    @CrevsDaak - Bungie tend to name their AIs after famous swords. Durandal from Marathon and Cortana from Halo are both named after the swords of Charlemagne's companions Roland/Orlando and Ogier the Dane.

The original Corvino was a WoW Rogue. I got frustrated trying to come up with an name that hadn't been taken and eventually dredged through my memories of english literature at school and came upon the character Corvino from the play Volpone. In the play he's a greedy, obsessed with status, not above threats of violence - perfect for a rogue. It also conveniently means Jet Black in Italian, which again suits the rogue.

Coming up with a name for a similar looking paladin I figured they were probably brothers and took inspiration from the name Cohrvale (a guy you can kill outside the Copper Coronet) and Corvale came into being.

I've had some fun naming Gnomes recently. You can't give a Gnome a badass sounding name, you need something that teeters between the parochial, the old fashioned and the silly. Trevor, Nigel and Quentin have all gathered their parties and ventured forth from Candlekeep in the past year, to various grisly fates.

*Edit* for additional giggles, give your gnome a suitably hyperbolic epithet. Trevor the Invincible. Terry Pratchett would approve.

Okay my first post in this topic was a tired mind lame joke. The truth is, my mother is chaos and my father is battle. Therefore, I am Fatal Apocalypse. Hail in Hell.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    most of the times I just use my own name, but when we started doing multiplayer I wanted to be a little more special than using Brandon on a half elf. @heindrich1988 directed me to an elf name conversion which said Brandon converts to Maeglin. Sounds catchy and I like it. I don't play elf characters often at all though so I will likely still use my own name a lot. In a DnD setting though being a half elf is interesting enough to me to be one. I just don't know why I don't have a thing for full elves though.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    CrevsDaak said:

@Mitchfork for some reason I've read Durandal, but I don't think you've named her in memory of Marathon 2's main AI.

I never played Marathon but I knew there was a character in that game named Durandal (and of course Bungie would later make Halo with Cortana). I used the alternate spellings because they seemed more feminine.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880
    My PC names:

Zeno
    Thrasymachus
    Epicurus
    Hobbes
    Lucretius

All philosophers (or, in the case of Thrasymachus, a sophist).
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Flashburn said:

He counted as a large creature and such had trouble fitting through doorways, which led to doors becoming my Favored Enemy. I try to destroy doors in any game I play, if its possible to do it.

I know your pain, especially in the side eyestalks. :(
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Mitchfork said:

CrevsDaak said:

I never played Marathon but I knew there was a character in that game named Durandal (and of course Bungie would later make Halo with Cortana). I used the alternate spellings because they seemed more feminine.
    I liked that idea a lot, really, i did not knew about Halo's AI names since I haven't payed Halo.

@Corvino I have a tendency to put the word "Uncle" before my gnomish PCs, and their are part of the Jansen family :D I knew that Durandal was a sword but I did not knew from where.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    My Half Orc barb is named Gorgar. It was a cool Pinball game of the 1970's. I use that name in MMORPGS I have played also. My thieves are always named Talon.
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    My Charname is BronsonBadger, because my wife and I have a 24 lb 4 ft long cat named Bronson, which is part bobcat. He's a ferocious beast that I have come to see as a counterpart to Drizzt's Guenevere. I let him outside for 10 minutes and he comes back with a half-dead animal of some sort in his maw, usually a gecko or a pigeon. Anyway, we started calling him BronsonBadger after we watched the youtube "Honey Badger don't care" videos, which are hilarious btw.